DS-2CD2332-I - no pan/tilt/zoom?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is not a PTZ camera. The buttons are only there because the same interface is shared by all cameras the manufacturer produces.

MIPS64

n3wb
Reaction score
Well crap. The listing clearly states pan/tilt/zoom. Good thing Amazon has a good refund policy.

EDIT: Is there a model by them that has those features? For indoors, of course.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think hikvision has a small PTZ designed for indoors. Their PTZs start at around $500 and are huge and heavy, designed for outdoors.

For indoors, I know of this Dahua (notice no night vision on it) for under $200 http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?946-Dahua-3MP-3-6MM-Mini-Pan-Tilt-Video-(ipc-hdb4300f-pt)

From other brands there are a bunch of 1MP pan tilt cameras with infrared for seeing in the dark. They cost between $70 and $200 on amazon.com. They are mostly low-end brands like easyn or foscam. Though there are some Trendnet or D-link I'm not sure those are any better than the easyn and foscam variety that cost half as much. There are also 640x480 / VGA pan tilt cameras slightly cheaper but I would not touch those.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is ptz necessary? Is there a specific scenario that requires it?

MIPS64

n3wb
Reaction score
Why is ptz necessary? Is there a specific scenario that requires it?
Our security officers use it daily to follow people. Many people use cameras for investigation after something has happened. We are actively trying to stop incidents from happening.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, the Chinese have really picked up on 360 degree cameras in the last half a year. Not so long ago you couldn't even buy a 1 MP model for that price.

I might have to get one of those to replace the cruddy PTZ in my house.
I know I am, I have to know - it will be interesting to see if it can work with BI, however, did you see the views you can get with the included software - awesome. :D

I'm counting it as a belated Christmas present. :cool:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL

I'm sure it can work with BI, but BI does not do fisheye dewarping and I really doubt their included software will dewarp and re-stream the video.

If I was to buy such a camera to mount on a ceiling, I would have to be certain I could dewarp the image in real time, into a wide panorama, and use it in Blue Iris.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL

I'm sure it can work with BI, but BI does not do fisheye dewarping and I really doubt their included software will dewarp and re-stream the video.

If I was to buy such a camera to mount on a ceiling, I would have to be certain I could dewarp the image in real time, into a wide panorama, and use it in Blue Iris.
It all depends on how it handles the view, it looks to me like the full fisheye view can be put on a "normal stream" - that may work with BI fine. The special flat mapping I'm thinking is something only their software will do. It can also do digital PTZ output, which I think may be useable in BI, and being digital I'm curious in how fast it is from one view to the next.

I'm actually going to mount it on a wall (because the room's light is on the center of the ceiling, and it's not a high enough ceiling to overcome it). Mostly it's just a toy I want to play with - I'm going to ask them for a "W" model so I can do audio and have an SD slot. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: