DS-2CD2342WD cameras not connecting to DVR DS-7608NI

Kaross

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!
I have problem with DS-2CD2342WD 4MP cameras. I can connect them through specific IP address in my network, I can see video, I can change settings, but can't add them in DVR DS-7608NI list. So I can't record video e.t.c. DVR has latest firmware V3.0.22 build 170621. But when i click add camera in DVR it gives: "unknown error". 4 cameras and with all the same. DVR has all 4 in list, all IP addresses, but can't do nothing. I have also older 1.3MP same type of cameras (can't find model right now) and these are working. DVR find them, can add in list. So they are recording and I can connect them from my home through DVR IP address. all 4 DS-2CD2342WD cameras I can connect only through each specific IP. I have made port forwarding for each camera and DVR so I can connect them from anywhere.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure the NVR supports 4 mp cameras? You need to check the Nvr specs. You gave a general model number, need the complete detailed model number.

Are the NVR and cameras from the same vendor. Some NVR do not allow for mixing countries.

Last edited:

Kaross

n3wb
Reaction score
some time ago I was using 2 DVR's with 4 cameras on each. 2 identical as you can see in image below (screenshot from IVMS-4200 software). One with 1,3MP cameras, second with 4MP cameras. All was working fine. Now DVR with 4MP cameras broke down and not starting anymore. So I bought this DS-7608NI-SE with 8 camera support.
Strange that these 4MP cameras don't work neither on DS-7608NI-SE or DS-7604-NI-E1. Problem that broke that exact DVR which were recording these 4MP cameras and I can't see any settings. Both I configured by myself, but as I remember there were not any special setting. almost like plug and play.
I hope I described it all clear.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is out of my area of expertise.

This may be related to Hikvision not allowing mixed products between different countries of origin.

Or it could be related to the passwords in the cameras not matching the password in the NVR.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try the following:

- Lower resolution on the cameras on the main stream to 2MP
- Make sure the cameras are configured in H264

Kaross

n3wb
Reaction score
Try the following:

- Lower resolution on the cameras on the main stream to 2MP
- Make sure the cameras are configured in H264
Thanks!
Problem solved. Lowered resolution and now cameras work. Damn, I want higher resolution. :D Any suggestions? Buy another DVR?

poring0612

n3wb
Reaction score
Everytime I log in on HIK connect on Ivms-4200,it is always asking me for the stream key, how can I permanently add it so that I won't have to enter it everytime I want to see my cameras? help anyone! Thanks!

sfitz527

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The DS-7608NI-SE/8P is a pretty old model. I actually have one sitting next to my desk in the junk pile because it wont support most of my cameras. Hikvision has the DS-7608NI-E2/8P that replaced that years ago. You can find these on eBay for ~$100, US version with some good searching and patience. I'd try to stay away from the international/Chinese versions. The DS-7608NI-I2/8P is the newest for this size recorder now though, with 12MP recording resolution vs 6MP on the E2.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks!
Problem solved. Lowered resolution and now cameras work. Damn, I want higher resolution. :D Any suggestions? Buy another DVR?
You have an old model that support 2MP/3MP/5MP but not 4MP. That's whay changing it to 2MP makes it work.

You might try to see if updating it to the latest firmware makes it support 4MP; but if it is a chinese unit, you might end up with a bricked NVR.