DS-2CD2342WD-I good choice to get started?

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now I know the dahua starlight camera is very well reviewed. It is however out of my current price range, and not available quickly on any reputable uk seller websites amazon etc. As are most of the dahua cams.

So I've been looking at getting 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4 mm from Amazon UK to start off my system, if they then aren't up to the job I can still return hassle free. then potentially order another 2 cameras from China that are sent on the slow boat.

Looking at this design as they won't be up that high, plus I'm trying to avoid the domes due to reflection.

Link below

Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4 mm Fixed Lens IR EXIR Turret CCTV Network Camera Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4 mm Fixed Lens IR EXIR Turret: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With the weak pound it is still quite a bit of difference. Plus I can return the amazon ones hassle free.

Any comments on the camera itself?

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, comments on the camera I'm considering buying in the first post.

Thanks I'll take a look at it

LonnieU

n3wb
Reaction score
Now I know the dahua starlight camera is very well reviewed. It is however out of my current price range, and not available quickly on any reputable uk seller websites amazon etc. As are most of the dahua cams.

So I've been looking at getting 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4 mm from Amazon UK to start off my system, if they then aren't up to the job I can still return hassle free. then potentially order another 2 cameras from China that are sent on the slow boat.

Looking at this design as they won't be up that high, plus I'm trying to avoid the domes due to reflection.

Link below

Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4 mm Fixed Lens IR EXIR Turret CCTV Network Camera Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4 mm Fixed Lens IR EXIR Turret: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
I have four of this model at one of our Assembly shops in use for about a year. Two inside and two outside. Sorry as I'm out of position to get any shots from them this week.

There are some YouTube videos for them, as well as shots on this forum.

Daytime, they do great. However, the 4MP unit nighttime vision under-performs from a 2MP unit. Not that you won't get a "good" nighttime view, you will get "better" nighttime quality from the 2MP model. This goes for a lot of cameras BTW.

If you want to stay with the Hikvision EXIR Turret models - If your more concerned with daytime viewing, go with the 4MP DS-2CD2342WD-I. If nighttime viewing is more important, go with the 2MP DS-2CD2322WD-I.

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have four of this model at one of our Assembly shops in use for about a year. Two inside and two outside. Sorry as I'm out of position to get any shots from them this week.

There are some YouTube videos for them, as well as shots on this forum.

Daytime, they do great. However, the 4MP unit nighttime vision under-performs from a 2MP unit. Not that you won't get a "good" nighttime view, you will get "better" nighttime quality from the 2MP model. This goes for a lot of cameras BTW.

If you want to stay with the Hikvision EXIR Turret models - If your more concerned with daytime viewing, go with the 4MP DS-2CD2342WD-I. If nighttime viewing is more important, go with the 2MP DS-2CD2322WD-I.
Aq0

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's great thanks.

Tbh I'm not sure what I want, there are so many variables my heads spinning! I'd like one that's equally good at night and day if possible?

If I had a 2mp would this cut down on the video file sizes? Probably going to have blue iris running recording onto a 4tb disk. Will having a 2mp increase my total time I can record?

I'm not set on the turret design, just due to location the may be accessible ruling bullets out, and due to the dome reflection issues I've ruled them out.

cctvtek-uk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I have added some footage of the turret cameras on my youtube channel of the different lens angles available on the 4mp turret cameras. In terms of night time footage they are much better than the 2142 or 2042 in complete dark conditions

There is also a few other comparison videos on there.

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great many thanks,

Think I already watched some of your other vids earlier

cctvtek-uk

n3wb
Reaction score
Your welcome, if you want some good prices on the turrets give us a shout. All UK specification and free next day delivery.