DS-2CD2342WD-I night performance

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have just installed four DS-2CD2342WD-I 2.8mm cameras into a DS-7608NI-I2/8p to replace an analog system.
One of the cameras is noticeably inferior to my previous analog camera at night. Items as close a 10m are not really illuminated and clearly visible. Daytime image is good. Another camera in a different location seems to illuminate an area of 15m x 15m very well. Could the camera be faulty, some network power or cable issue, or settings that are changeable? The firmware is 5.4.5 and I can't seem to get to any parameters to adjust anything other than brightness, contrast, and saturation. Yet I have seen videos that show WDR adjustments etc. Any help is appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have just installed four DS-2CD2342WD-I 2.8mm cameras into a DS-7608NI-I2/8p to replace an analog system.
One of the cameras is noticeably inferior to my previous analog camera at night. Items as close a 10m are not really illuminated and clearly visible. Daytime image is good. Another camera in a different location seems to illuminate an area of 15m x 15m very well. Could the camera be faulty, some network power or cable issue, or settings that are changeable? The firmware is 5.4.5 and I can't seem to get to any parameters to adjust anything other than brightness, contrast, and saturation. Yet I have seen videos that show WDR adjustments etc. Any help is appreciated.
post an image...these cameras are not great at night...that is why you will see many folks buying hikvision low light cameras or the dahua starlights that are exceptional at night.
the discrepancy you see between the cameras you have is likely related to the scene, some scenes have more light or more reflective surfaces...

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am trying to upload 3 images from the cameras but it is stalling on the third. If you look at cam 1 and 2 you can see that they are quite dark whereas cam 3 is quite light and clear.

Attachments

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yet I have seen videos that show WDR adjustments etc. Any help is appreciated.
For the WDR and other settings like day/night schedule you need to log in the camera own web GUI page.
If you need help with this just ask.

The six “DS-2CD-2342 WD-I” cameras, I have there night time vision is very poor and therefore have stated replacing them with low light 0.005 Lux DS-2CD-2335 WD-I cameras.

At present with the 2342 I use a day/night schedule and drop the contrast/brightness a small amount. Too much and the images are ghosts, will be replacing them all with low light models.

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For the WDR and other settings like day/night schedule you need to log in the camera own web GUI page.
If you need help with this just ask.

The six “DS-2CD-2342 WD-I” cameras, I have there night time vision is very poor and therefore have stated replacing them with low light 0.005 Lux DS-2CD-2335 WD-I cameras.

At present with the 2342 I use a day/night schedule and drop the contrast/brightness a small amount. Too much and the images are ghosts, will be replacing them all with low light models.
Thanks for the reply. I have tried unsuccessfully to log into my cameras and would appreciate a step by step instruction.

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I worked out how to log into my cameras and applied the backlight BLC area to center on one camera and right on the other and that made a big difference. Strangely the backlight settings had almost no effect on the two cameras that were working OK in low light

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have tried unsuccessfully to log into my cameras and would appreciate a step by step instruction.
Refer to PDF attached first you need your NVR network address. (It's at network settings in the NVR)
Use Windows IE to log in to the NVR as per image's below with your address.

Enable Virtual Host.
Switch to Camera management and select a camera blue text.
This will open a new login page which is the camera.
Open camera configuration page for images settings .

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to upload 3 images from the cameras but it is stalling on the third. If you look at cam 1 and 2 you can see that they are quite dark whereas cam 3 is quite light and clear.
You need to adjust your cameras away from the walls and any other reflective surface, that is causing your problem.

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey fenderman, I agree about the walls, but how do you get around this as far as mounting and orientation go? To mount the cameras where they are away from the walls is going to be a problem if I want the same aspect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey fenderman, I agree about the walls, but how do you get around this as far as mounting and orientation go? To mount the cameras where they are away from the walls is going to be a problem if I want the same aspect.
Turn the camera