DS-2CD2342WD-I refusing to come back online

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Nearly time for a hammer on this damn 2342

All cams and NVR are full UK and no Grey market products
The background story is i recently updated a DS-7604NI-E1 to the latest firmware fw 3.4.96, The update caused the DS-2CD2342 to go offline and stay off line localy

Another cam a DS-2CD2335FWD-I connected to the same NVR had no issues and came back online

Due to remote access issues using the latest FW the NVR was downgraded back to 3.4.95 but the 2342 cam simply refused to come back online, so it was taken down and hooked up to SADP, Alastair suggested the default gateway may be at fault and it appeared it was as it was reset to the NVR default lan gateway not the POE gateway, so the cam was upgraded to the latest fw whilst it was down fw 5.5.0, SADP was used again to check the cam settings and default gateway 254.1 before refitting

The DS-2CD2342 was refitted but even though it was checked for correct settings before refitting it still refuses to come back online when connected to the NVR, i have tried different poe ports on the NVR but the same issue, it simply refuses to work on the NVR, it was taken down yet again and SADP checked and all settings were as they should be with defauly gateway staying set at the NVR POE gateway address

When connected to a POE injector when taken down it works perfectly, SADP sees it and allows configuration and it appears and works fine localy in a browser

Im foxed ?? why the heck does it work when not connected to the NVR but refuses to work when connected, would appreciate some ideas as i am all out at this point

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Im foxed ?? why the heck does it work when not connected to the NVR but refuses to work when connected, would appreciate some ideas as i am all out at this point
All very odd - from what you've described and tested, it should work OK.
a DS-7604NI-E1 to the latest firmware fw 3.4.96
I have a spare DS-7608N-E2 with 3.4.96 firmware. And a DS-7616NI-K2 with 3.4.96 firmware.
And some serial console hookups to peek under the bonnet.

Nearly time for a hammer on this damn 2342
Would that be an auction hammer?

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No Alastair a steel toe cap boot follow it with a hammer... hammer !! Bloody thing, the NVR is now back to what it was, the 2342 had its previous FW but didnt work and now upgraded still refuses to work on the NVR... kinda points to a cat 5 issue but REALLY !! nothing changed, nothing moved !! getting annoyed now as it really should work

I added it in Plug and play mode but no worky, changed to manual and still nothing, NVR reports checking when its powered but refuses to find the connected 2342

just dont know ( Shrugs shoulders )

Is there a way to get the Hiks to fresh in the box never used state ?? would full reset to defaults do it ??

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok Alastair... the 2342 has been reset to default in the box settings, SADP now shows ( the device is not activated ) and requiring a new password, is it best to activate here on my desk OR set the NVR poe port to plug and play prior to connection and then connect camera and let the NVR configure it, which way in this particular case should i go to be doubly sure i have done everything possible to get the thing working

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
set the NVR poe port to plug and play prior to connection and then connect camera and let the NVR configure it,
That should be the best way.
Unless you have set a different camera-specific password on the NVR configuration - it will use the NVR password to activate the camera.