DS-2CD2345-I V5.36 build 151215 Native Chinese Cameras

neocalm

n3wb
Reaction score
While visiting in China two months ago I purchased this camera at ~$45. It's a 4MP Turret and only speaks Chinese.

There are several annoying things that makes "Google Translate" operation challenging:

1. Although there is an option to change Timezones and NTP servers, it doesn't seem to "stick" and in fact setting it to a US timezone appears to scramble the time a little randomly.

2. I don't see an option to enable Telnet or SSH unless use an Inspector on the browser and change the class "item ng-hide" to class "item ng". Unfortunately, I cannot get it to keep SSH/Telnet enabled.

3. Using iVMS-4200 looks promising (when downloaded from Euro with the Chinese/English language options) and seems to remember settings when switching language but can only manipulate the cameras in Chinese... (and there's no google translate!)

I'd be happy to get started just by enabling SSH and figuring out how to backup the camera firmware and/or recover from any 'brick' mode to allow some play of firmware. I alternately am trying to research if iVMS-4200 could be hacked to allow English use of a Chinese camera so I don't have to worry about changing any camera firmware.

How does one access updated Chinese firmware on the Hikvision China page?

neocalm

n3wb
Reaction score
Perfect, that looks like exactly what I was looking for. I'll check that thread out, thanks!

neocalm

n3wb
Reaction score
Fantastic. I upgraded the camera to V5.4.0 Build 160401 and the NTP and local time service started working correctly. One step in the right direction!

Now to SSH into the camera - I've heard about a TFTP tool that allows (while the tool is running) SSH; does it work with this Chinese 4MP line, and where does one download the TFTP tool?

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fantastic. I upgraded the camera to V5.4.0 Build 160401 and the NTP and local time service started working correctly. One step in the right direction!

Now to SSH into the camera - I've heard about a TFTP tool that allows (while the tool is running) SSH; does it work with this Chinese 4MP line, and where does one download the TFTP tool?
Did you use the link above to update ? I see it was a different model and mentioned "B" but as you say did it work on your 2345?

neocalm

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you use the link above to update ? I see it was a different model and mentioned "B" but as you say did it work on your 2345?
Yes, I used the link. Actually #7 does have the 2345 (although I don't have a "B" or "C") and it updated great.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe worth a look if all you are needing to do is the detailed config of a Chinese-menu camera is the 'batch config and updater tool' here :
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/00 Software Tool Package/16 Batch Config Tool/
It allows all the detailed configuration to be done in English - once you find the 'wheel' setup icon by hovering over the device info.
This won't cure any 'language mismatch' errors on connecting to a Hikvision NVR - but it's a pretty useful tool instead of the browser for configuration tasks.

neocalm

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe worth a look if all you are needing to do is the detailed config of a Chinese-menu camera is the 'batch config and updater tool' here :
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/00 Software Tool Package/16 Batch Config Tool/
It allows all the detailed configuration to be done in English - once you find the 'wheel' setup icon by hovering over the device info.
This won't cure any 'language mismatch' errors on connecting to a Hikvision NVR - but it's a pretty useful tool instead of the browser for configuration tasks.
This was fantastic, thank you! It definitely makes a difference compared with "observing screenshots/manual pages and hoping the Chinese entries are roughly in the same place as the English entries on the GUI."

As I familiarize myself with the system I'm realizing that a lot of control can be offloaded on a tool like this - I had thought the Client was doing all the work but I'm realizing a lot of it like Event Triggering is in the Cameras (and the Storage Server on the PC, which is in English too).

Thank you!!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As I familiarize myself with the system I'm realizing that a lot of control can be offloaded on a tool like this
You are quite right. It's a pretty good tool.
The problem comes though if you want to connect the camera to a Hikvision NVR, either as 'Hikvision' or ONVIF and hit the 'language mismatch' trap.
But no problem with other NVR solutions.

neocalm

n3wb
Reaction score
You are quite right. It's a pretty good tool.
The problem comes though if you want to connect the camera to a Hikvision NVR, either as 'Hikvision' or ONVIF and hit the 'language mismatch' trap.
But no problem with other NVR solutions.
Yes, using the HikVision "PCNVR" (iVMS-4200 Storage Server) - it works well since that's English and can be configured directly by the Batch Configuration Tool.

I think I can almost completely replicate the basic event triggering -> video clip storage functionality in the iVMS-4200 Client using the Batch Configuration Tool, albeit without the big GUI for live view.

My problem is that the Batch Configuration Tool doesn't help me understand the basics of event triggering; somehow the PCNVR just records constant 24hr motion on all cameras when I expected it to record only video short clips of event triggers (with 5 seconds of leading and trailing space), so either 1) my sensitivity is too high when I use default settings; 2) I have both the event triggers AND another option checked for 24hr recording; or 3) my understanding is totally flawed and the PCNVR just records the entire day but the event triggering is just for setting off emails or logs and the like.

Is there a good post or reference on setting up event triggering? I started out using the long post by tony17112acst here: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=42562&start=30 with the "chinese client" so something may be lost in translation when I tried to replicate my client work using the Batch Configuration Tool.

neocalm

n3wb
Reaction score
And actually, answering my own thread - it looks like even with an all Chinese firmware (and all Chinese price) these cameras are almost fully controllable with the Batch Configuration Tool.

HOW TO USE YOUR CHINESE CAMERA IN ENGLISH (using a PC as an NVR):

1. Download the iVMS-4200 v2.5.0.3 from the HikVision Euro web site (it has both English and Chinese instead of English-only like the HikVision USA web site). http://overseas.hikvision.com/europe/Tools_84.html

2. Install the Storage Server and the Client.

3. Download the Batch Configuration Tool from the HikVision Euro web site (link given above, http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/00 Software Tool Package/16 Batch Config Tool/).

4. Set up all cameras. Install latest v5.4.0+ firmware from HikVision China web site (link given above, http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/download_more_714.html) using the HikVision Batch Configuration Tool.

5. Learn from the use-ip.co.uk web site: http://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/tutorial-megathread-getting-started-with-your-hikvision-system.689/

and this was a good primer: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=42562&start=30

5. The only step I cannot seem to replicate within the HikVision Batch Configuration Tool is linking the PCNVR (Storage Server) with the cameras, the steps in the cctvforum post being:

13. Select Storage Schedule from Control Panel. For each camera in left panel, set up the following in Storage Server section only:
- Select the Storage Server (you created) from the drop-down list, check "Record Schedule" box, select "Event Template" from drop-down list, set Pre-record and Post-record to 5 seconds in "Advanced Settings." Click "Save" in upper right corner.

Storage Schedule is a black video camcorder icon, View attachment 11260, and this is a screen capture of the current version in English to help navigate the Chinese client:

Storage_Schedule-Window.png

That's it! All-English after that.

neocalm

n3wb
Reaction score
hello a question. I bought a Hikvision DS-2CD2145F-IWS Multilingual then Chinese 5.3.6 firmware. But I can not make it work with my Synology NAS. I can make it if I update completely Chinese with Chinese firmware 5.4.0 from the web interface of the CCTV http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/download_more_714.html
Sorry for the delay. I have a Synology NAS (or rather XPEnology NAS) but have not integrated it with the Hikvisions.

I just use strictly Chinese firmware and have been discovering it's not limiting at all to use the Chinese interface (even though I don't read Chinese).

I use a standalone PC that has the PC-NVR iVMS 4200 2.5.0.3 software installed, so it records the Chinese firmware without issue. I started using the built-in camera motion detection but discovered SightHound and really have been having good luck with their motion detection instead. So the cameras just stream video to the PC-NVR and to SightHound.