DS-2CD2432F-IW 5.2.5 141201 borked with upgrade attempt

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but curiosity has killed the cat. The IR LED on my camera had dimmed to all but useless, and I thought perhaps it was time to try a firmware update.

Like an idiot, I didn't heed any of the warnings, and simply tried to install the latest 5.3.0 from the US Hikvision site using the camera's GUI. That obviously flopped. I've spent the rest of the day reading the various threads about hacking firmware. I've managed to use the TFTP program to access and upload different versions. Some would finish with "update completed", and others would get stuck on the step just prior. But none would get me into a bootable camera that was visible using the SDAP utility.

Clearly, I have a Chinese (AliExpress) grey-market camera. Is there a simple known-to-be-working firmware I can put back on this camera using TFTP? At this point, I would even settle for an all-Chinese version. At some point my time (and sanity) is worth more than the value of a replacement camera, but I didn't want to simply dump this thing in the trash if there is a simple fix that I'm missing... FWIW, I have multiple working identical cameras with the original 5.2.5 firmware.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
397 posts... I'm amazed you did this! We all have moments of weakness I guess.

Update it to Chinese v5.3.0 - here, then use downgrader.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I know, right? I think I have a certain amount of sadomasochism. I knew it likely wouldn't work, but sometimes I enjoy the challenge of fixing broke things (especially self-inflicted broke things). Perhaps it's because I knew that this camera was heading for the can anyway due to the defective IR. Either way, I let my guard down and now get to test my patience...

I'll give your link a go and will report back. Thanks.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I know, right? I think I have a certain amount of sadomasochism. I knew it likely wouldn't work, but sometimes I enjoy the challenge of fixing broke things (especially self-inflicted broke things). Perhaps it's because I knew that this camera was heading for the can anyway due to the defective IR. Either way, I let my guard down and now get to test my patience...

I'll give your link a go and will report back. Thanks.
Well, so far no go. The TFTP program appears to work fine - uploading the davi file, but the final "upgrade successful" message never appears. On my previous attempt with various other firmwares yesterday, occasionally I'd see the successfully updated message - but not with this one. I'm retrying it a few more times - and will download it again - just to make sure it isn't a fluke.

Attachments

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'll give that a try. Had to disable Ad Block Pro to get it to download, but will attempt it as soon as my ankle biters are down.