DS-2CD2432F-IW - is able to record based on motion detection?

sk77289

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased this DS-2CD2432F-IW camera per the recommendation of some folks here. I was hoping it would have the option to record only motion detected events. I'm still fighting the through the various options (this one's a little more complicated than the last few I set up), but can someone just confirm for me whether it can record based on motion? I see I can do alarms, but not clear to me if I can record.

I like the quality of the camera, so now my only goal is to setup up the camera so it can record video files only when motion is detected, and store across my network to a NAS device.

I'd be extremely grateful for any clarification around the motion recording. Thanks!!!

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can't tell much about that particular device, but I am still to stumble upon a digital video recorder which doesn't support motion detection.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The steps are something like this:
In the camera web GUI, set up your NAS destination and format it. It must be dedicated to the specific camera. Make sure the result is 'Status=normal' There are various posts here on the firmware-dependant maximum volume size limitations. Older firmware (I'm not sure how it has changed post 5.2.5) has a maximum ceiling of around 200GB.
Set up your Basic Events (probably just motion detection) and Smart Events (line crossing detection and intrusion detection) and the associated schedule and triggers.
Then, in the Storage menu, 'Enable Record SChedule' and specify the required schedule and recording type.
You can check in the camera log how the events are detected.
And play back the videos in Playback.

Example below:

cam36.jpgcam37.jpg

sk77289

n3wb
Reaction score
The steps are something like this:
In the camera web GUI, set up your NAS destination and format it. It must be dedicated to the specific camera. Make sure the result is 'Status=normal' There are various posts here on the firmware-dependant maximum volume size limitations. Older firmware (I'm not sure how it has changed post 5.2.5) has a maximum ceiling of around 200GB.
Set up your Basic Events (probably just motion detection) and Smart Events (line crossing detection and intrusion detection) and the associated schedule and triggers.
Then, in the Storage menu, 'Enable Record SChedule' and specify the required schedule and recording type.
You can check in the camera log how the events are detected.
And play back the videos in Playback.

Example below:
So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get this thing to record. Under local configuration, I have a UNC path defined (\\server\share). Under Basic Event I have Enabled Motion Detection checked (at all hours), and under Normal Linkage, I have Trigger Channel checked. I went a danced in front of the camera a few times, but I see now files in my share. Any thoughts?

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Local configuration is the place where you store snapshots and clips while you're in live view mode. It's nothing to do with the scheduled recording. You have to specify your storage at: Advanced configuration -> Storage -> NAS, then format it as @alastair described. Then try first to start Continous recording, if everything is OK switch to motion schedule. What's the camera firmware version?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. And for the NAS destination you need to define it as the share name only, as the server is already specified by the IP address, e.g. /camerashare

sk77289

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, thanks guys, I missed this part of the interface when I was wandering around....sorry for being thick. So I got a successful test, however when I try and Save it tells me there can't be a backslash in the user name. My NAS is setup to use Active Directory credentials, so not sure what I do here. It won't test properly just with username and password and no domain listed. Any ideas how to get around this?

Dreamboat - my firmware is V5.2.5 build 141201.

And to all you guys - thank you VERY much for being as helpful as you've been so far. Hopefully if I can get over this last hurdle I'll be good go. Thanks in advance for any further advice....

EDIT: I figured that part out, using username@domain.com