DS-2CD2432F-IW Issue

ob1coyote

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm affraid the answer may be obvious. I'm just hoping someone has a solution other than returning the camera.

DS-2CD2432F-IW I bought about a month ago. I'm using it wirelessly in my kitchen (has a view of livingroom and back entry as well). Has been working well for a few weeks now, This past weekend we had a brownout and, of course, the camera lost power for about 10 seconds. After the power came back on the camera no longer displays in BlueIris (RTSP: 404 Stream not found). It also not reachable via IP in a browser. It is also not pingable.
So, I unplug it from its A/C adapter, bring it to my PC and plug it into my router via a PoE injector. At that point it is reachable in browser and all configuration settings are intact (no changes, no reset occurred). I reopen BlueIris and the audi from the camera is working (resulting in a horrible feedback loop as it is right next to my PC speakers...), but the image does not come back up on it's own. So I go into the camera config page of BlueIrirs and rather than being set to "Hikvision > DS-2CDXXXX RTSP" it has changed itself to "Generic > RTSP H.264/MJPG/MPEG4". After resetting that to the correct brand/model the picture reappears and everything works as before.
Then I disconnect the PoE injector from the router (but still leave it powered) the camera takes a second to switch to wireless and then continues to work as expected wirelessly.
Then I disconnect it from the PoE injector and move it back to the kitchen and its A/C adaptor and though the camera still powers up (has a steady blue status light) and seems to be working (IR lights still respond to light/darkness...) it is again, not pingable, not reachable by IP in a browser.

Additional details:
The cam has a reserved IP in the router and the router is able to show it IS connected via wireless and has a good signal (same signal strength it had when it previously worked, 4bars out of 5).
No firmware changes have been applied.
I think I've proven this is not a Blue Iris issue.
I think I've proven it's not a wireless networking issue.
I had a whole list of additional details in my head, but the UPS guy just showed up and I lost my train of thought...
I have yet to do a full reset on the camera, I will try that when I get back to the house barring any other good suggestions from you fine folks.

At this point, to my best judgement it seems like an issue with the A/C adaptor and/or A/C power port on the cam.
Cam works wirelessly when powered by PoE injector but not wirelessly via the A/C adaptor...
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@ob1coyote Plug it in with the near the router instead of the kitchen to ensure its not a signal issue (I understand it was working before)...
Also post images of your camera network settings for both the lan and wan dropdown menu...was the camera connected to a surge protector when the brown out occurred? Have you tried another 12v adapter? The adapter may have failed.

ob1coyote

n3wb
Reaction score
Plug it in near the router with the A/C adaptor? I was putting that off because the adaptor cord is run behind some cabinets and is kind of a PITA to run. No, there was no surge protector. The plug is GFI protected but I know that's not the same thing...

OK, I have it plugged in right now via its A/C adaptor and it is still inaccessible, yet shows as connected to the router... Unfortunately I don't have another adaptor to try to see if it's the adaptor or the cameras A/C port...

Plugging it back into PoE adaptor to grab pics. *Interesting new detail. First time testing I assumed the wifi settings were erased so I began testing with the cam wired to router through the PoE injector then transitioned to wireless powered by PoE (unplugged the injector from the router. This time, I went from plugged into A/C adaptor to PoE injector (but not router) and the cam was still unreachable.
So, I plugged the PoE injector into the router and was able to access the cam. Then after unplugged the injector from the router again and the camera is still accessible. So... kind of like the cam needs a jumpstart from the router...??

Pics requested:

Attachments

ob1coyote

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately, all my other cams are Hikvision bullet cams and did not come with A/C adaptors.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For testing, set the lan ip to dhcp (so that its not the same as the wireless ip)..then try connecting via wifi
Or even better, set the wlan to dhcp and see if it connects and can be found with sadp..

ob1coyote

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually said that backwards. I currently have both set to DHCP (had it that way before taking the pics, and have now set it back that way) unfortunate timing on the pics... sorry.
That brings up another curiosity. Even with both LAN and WLAN set to DHCP and IP reservations removed from the router, the router gives both the LAN and WLAN the same IP anyways. It did this with the cameras straight out of the box (after enabling the wifi connection). All 3 of my bullet cams did this too... the cam's WLAN and LAN connections both have unique MAC addresses on all the cams yet the router gives them both the same IP regardless....
Additional detail: with cam plugged into PoE with no LAN I rebooted after restoring the DHCP settings and the camera was accessible wirelessly after the reboot, without the "LAN jumpstart"....

And that brings up one of the additional detail I forgot. even when the cam is inaccessible (on A/C adptor), SADP sees it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And that brings up one of the additional detail I forgot. even when the cam is inaccessible (on A/C adptor), SADP sees it.
Strange indeed. Reset the camera to default as you suggested.
To reset, remove power, hold reset, while holding reset apply power, keep holding reset for 15-30 seconds.

ob1coyote

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, I had to get a flashlight and a magnifying glass (I have really bad eyesight) and now realize that the steady blue light that is on when the cam is inaccessible was actually the Alarm light, not the Status light...
Not sure if that's important. Do ing the reset now.

ob1coyote

n3wb
Reaction score
Reset results:
Successfully reset the camera. Accessed cam through browser via PoE+LAN. Set Wireless AP credentials and time settings and rotated image (The camera gets mounted upside down (long explanation).
Then I removed PoE power and plugged into A/C adapter and the camera IS accessible now!

So... This is possible not an adaptor issue and I can possibly expect this behavior again in the future (that would be disapointing...).
Going to place the cam and the adapter back in its location in the kitchen and see what happens.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reset results:
Successfully reset the camera. Accessed cam through browser via PoE+LAN. Set Wireless AP credentials and time settings and rotated image (The camera gets mounted upside down (long explanation).
Then I removed PoE power and plugged into A/C adapter and the camera IS accessible now!

So... This is possible not an adaptor issue and I can possibly expect this behavior again in the future (that would be disapointing...).
Going to place the cam and the adapter back in its location in the kitchen and see what happens.
I would not be concerned. I have not seen anyone have this issue..Lots of folks using these wifi with no problems....Brown outs and power surges can cause all sorts of issues. Put it on a surge protector to ensure it doesnt get zapped. Where did you purchase the camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got it from an Amazon.com vendor that goes by the name SafeGuard Designs.
It is not covered under any hikvision warranty. So confirm that they provide one (hopefully they will honor it if there is an issue later)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ob1coyote

n3wb
Reaction score
Nothing I buy breaks before the warranty expires anyways... lol

Hey. thank you for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this. I really appreciate it.