DS-2CD2432F-IW soft/blurred

barnettgs

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just received Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW (3 MP) in addition to what I already have DS-2CD2420F-IW (2 MP) from last year. I received it in red/white box from eBay/China. Everything about it looks very identical to my other Hikvision, apart from that I had bought first one from Europe.

Also browsing through admin panel is identical with both Hikvision cams having firmware of 5.4.5 although older DS-2CD2420F-IW has 'Encoding Version' of V1.0 build 170104, rather than V5.0 build 170105 in newer 3 MP cam.

However, upon viewing the videos of both cam, the quality is huge difference! So I have attached both pictures from both cam and newer cam has inferior image quality. Both cams have default image settings.

Before I return this cam, I'm seeking your opinion on it.

Regards

Cam 1 - DS-2CD2420F-IW
Cam 2 - DS-2CD2432F-IW

DS-2CD2420F-IW.jpg
DS-2CD2432F-IW.jpg

barnettgs.ddns.net_01_20170716101519166.jpg
barnettgs.ddns.net_01_20170716101608605.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried adjusting the brightness and other video settings? Dont expect them to be the same at default...note that 3mp will perform worse at night and low light than the 2mp..

barnettgs

n3wb
Reaction score
I have played with these settings including WDR & digital noise settings earlier with little improvement (also to compensate for higher MP but no luck). Also I have noticed that this cam is showing WiFi connection of only 54mbps with status showing 'disconnected' (despite being connected via wifi) whereas 2MP one showing 150mbps with 'connected' status.

Also upon much closer inspection of external body, both body are very identical, apart from the labels e.g. Power, Link...that isn't quite straight/slightly rough on 3 MP cam so I'm beginning to think that it must be a very good counterfeit Hikvision. Re-loading firmware went ok.

Also both are at 2.4mm, 3 MP isn't as wide as 2 MP, regardless of resolution settings.

barnettgs

n3wb
Reaction score
Also both are at 2.4mm, 3 MP isn't as wide as 2 MP, regardless of resolution settings.
It turned out that the sensor of 3 MP is actually smaller than 2 MP version (1/32" vs 1/2.8") which explains why 2MP has wider view...hmm

Maybe it's no big deal but I was kind of expecting the quality to be similar to 2 MP.

barnettgs

n3wb
Reaction score
I have decided to return this camera and it turned out it is really genuine camera as I found out that the sensor in 3 MP version is inferior to 2 & 4 MP Hikvision cameras. Just ordered 4 MP from online shop in my country as the original seller thinks I would not be happy with 4 MP version therefore no point in exchanging it for me so I'll be getting refund instead.

Also read that 3 MP Cube has a poor WiFi performance/issue.

It is surprising that there is a day/night difference between Hikvisions cameras and also that they would put on an inferior sensor (3 MP) into their cameras.