DS-2CD2442F-IW Wi-Fi settings

cruing

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

please, I need your support concerning the Wi-Fi setting of my cameras.
I've got the following settings on 2 of my cameras (see attached images):

CAMERA 1
LAN IP 192.168.50.20
WLAN IP 192.168.50.40

CAMERA 2
LAN IP 192.168.50.17
WLAN IP 192.168.50.21

I can ping and scan all the addresses above (also .40 and .21), but I can't see the WLAN addresses with SADP.
If I unplug the LAN cable from the cameras, I can't ping or scan the WLAN addresses, so I can't use the cameras in Wi-Fi mode.

What is the error that I'm doing?

Thank you very much

Attachments

cruing

n3wb
Reaction score
Why are you connecting both Wifi and Ethernet? Using both at same time can cause issues. Use one or the other, not both, unless you have some specific reasoning of course. Also unless you know what you are doing you shouldn't force an IP, Use DHCP on the camera and assign an IP through the routers DHCP server.
Thanks for your answer.
I'm actually using the cameras through Ethernet, I want to move them on Wifi but I'm having problems.
Once I've done the configuration for the WiFi, if I unplug the Ethernet cable I'm not able to see the cameras with SADP.
I can't use DHCP because in our company we use static IP addresses.
What could be the problem? Is there another way to disable the Ethernet mode instead of unplug the cable?

Thanks again

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried powering the camera off and on after you unplug the ethernet cable?

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've used a Hikvison wireless camera in the past and it was a pain in the ass. Interestingly on the LAN tab, a MAC address is visible while on the WLAN tab, there is no MAC address shown. This appears to indicate there is only one real interface with the camera using either the LAN or WLAN at a time. As gwminor mentioned, what happens after a reboot ?

cruing

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.
I've tried to reboot after unplug the ethernet cable, I can see the camera on SADP for just a while (1-2 seconds) and then it disappears.
I've noticed that even if I can ping the WLan IP address (when the ethernet cable is plugged), from Wlan setting the camera is disconnected...

Attachments

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What switch/wap are you connecting to?, I wonder if you have to wait until the arp table is updated. Leave the camera connected for several minutes and try again.

cruing

n3wb
Reaction score
It's aTip-Link access point... I will try to unplug the ethernet cable and wait several minutes, thanks!

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.
I've tried to reboot after unplug the ethernet cable, I can see the camera on SADP for just a while (1-2 seconds) and then it disappears.
I've noticed that even if I can ping the WLan IP address (when the ethernet cable is plugged), from Wlan setting the camera is disconnected...
When you have the wired connection, you are able to ping both the LAN and WLAN IP addresses, that is normal behaviour.
But your wifi is not configured properly. Your camera is not connecting to your wifi network, so once you disconnect the wired cable it will not work any more.
Even with the camera connected wired, you should be able to see the wifi connected on the screenshot you are attaching!

cruing

n3wb
Reaction score
What switch/wap are you connecting to?, I wonder if you have to wait until the arp table is updated. Leave the camera connected for several minutes and try again.
I disconnected the ethernet cable and wait 4 hours, but the camera didn't appear...

Even with the camera connected wired, you should be able to see the wifi connected on the screenshot you are attaching!
Exactly, I noticed that, the camera results not connected to WiFi but I can ping it...

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Exactly, I noticed that, the camera results not connected to WiFi but I can ping it...
Because it repplies to ping to both LAN and WLAN IPs over the LAN interface.
Disconnecting the LAN cable will not make the camera connect to wifi; the camera should already be connected to wifi before you disconnect the network cable, you should see the wifi as "connected" on Network -> Advanced -> Wifi.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok im confused, under Network - Advanced settings, Wifi Tab, does it show your wifi is connected or not. I am assuming it's connected, because you shouldn't be able to ping it if it weren't.
I can not test it now; but I am quite sure that the WLAN IP responds to ping over the LAN interface even when the wifi is not connected.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nope, it doesn't work that way, at least not the way I am reading what you are saying. If the Web UI shows the Wifi is indeed connected, Disconnect the LAN, then try to access the Web interface (Not Ping) actually type in the WLAN IP into a browser and see if the page comes up.
Check the screenshot he uploaded, his wifi does not show up as connected.
And what I am saying (WLAN IP responds to ping over the LAN interface) has nothing to do with what you are saying (I didn't say anything about disconnecting the LAN cable, since he has not configured the wifi on the camera).

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
None of your screenshots actively show if there it is physical (wifi) connection or not. You show SADP, You show IP Scan, You show LAN and WLAN ip has been assigned, but not the actual connection page (For example, look at picture I posted), unless I am missing something.
You are missing the 7th post on the thread, there is an attached screenshot where you can see his wifi is not connected.

IF Wlan is indeed NOT connected, then there should be no reply on a ping to .40 or .21 ip. If your correct and there is, you have an IP conflict you need to resolve. It also reads like you are relying to heavily on ICMP, Ping you not be used alone to diagnose a connection or more so what reads like a routing issue.
There IS ping reply on the LAN interface when you ping the WLAN IP, even if the WLAN is not connected. That's what I said. Both LAN and WLAN IPs respond to ping on the LAN interface.

cruing

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your support!

Yes, the current situation is:
- WLAN not connected
- Ping to LAN Address is OK (get reply)
- Ping to WLAN Address is OK (get reply)
- In SADP I can only see the LAN Address (even if when I restart the camera, I'm able to see also the WLAN address in SADP but just for 1-2 seconds, than it disappear)

If I unplug the ethernet cable I'm not able to ping the LAN and the WLAN addresses.

If I pull power to the camera, I get reply on either address..

I just made another trial: I've put a wrong WI-FI password and I can ping the WLAN address... So I think there is something wrong when I do the Wi-Fi connection!

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Either way should be no physical connection and absolutely no reply to ping. If I had to guess based on this, feels like IP conflict. Or much more rare, and would be extremely strange, but MAC address conflict.
That is a really strange. WLAN should NOT be replying at all while disconnected.
With respect, what you are saying is pure guesswork. @Securame is quite correct.
You are assuming that the Linux kernel is not forwarding packets internally between the 2 interfaces wlan0 and eth0.
They are both active and enabled - it's just that the WiFi interface does not have an active, authenticated wireless connection.

I have just tested on a 2432 that has a LAN connection but is not connected to any WiFi AP.
Here are the configs:

cube_1.jpg cube_2.jpg cube_3.jpg

And here is the evidence:
You can see that, despite the telnet access to the WLAN interface IP address, there are no packets listed in the traffic counters.
The traffic is able to pass internally.
Code:
alastair@PC-I5 ~ $ telnet 192.168.1.205
Trying 192.168.1.205...
Connected to 192.168.1.205.
Escape character is '^]'.

Hikvision login: root
Password:

BusyBox v1.19.3 (2014-07-11 11:25:54 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr C0:56:E3:A6:E8:88 
          inet addr:192.168.1.105  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::c256:e3ff:fea6:e888/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1856891758 errors:0 dropped:1220 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:3659963690 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:527053387 (502.6 MiB)  TX bytes:364124163 (347.2 MiB)
          Interrupt:27

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:41425 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:41425 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:3643013 (3.4 MiB)  TX bytes:3643013 (3.4 MiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr A0:F4:59:A8:F3:0D 
          inet addr:192.168.1.205  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

#

cruing

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm non lucky with the WiFi settings!! I tried also with the hotspot of my smartphone (without password), but it is always disconnected...
I don't know why! :(