DS-2CD2442FWD-IW Cube wifi issue

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two DS-2CD2442FWD-IW which connect no problem via POE but not on 12v dc power.

The camera is able to connect to the WIFI network while on POE, and am able to access the cam via the Wireless IP address assigned but only while connected via the POE. It also registers two IPs one for Lan and one for Wlan in the router. Both are connected.

Once I connect with the 12v dc adapter, it is not discovered, all camera lights are on, IR switches on and off depending on the lights and am able to ping the camera on its wifi address.

The address tries to resolve but gets a connection time out and resolves to the below address as it tries to log in.

http://192.168.1.217/doc/page/login.asp?_1488096859292

No graphics are displayed though.

Also while on DC power it is not discovered in the router.

One thing I noticed is while its connected via POE, the default gateway in SADP for the WIFI IP always resets back to 0.0.0.0, even though inside it has the correct default gateway. LAns default is correct in SADP.

Not sure if its a power, settings, FW or hardware issue.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
set the camera to dhcp not static, then use sadp to find it(then reserve that ip)..there will be a unique ip address when its on wifi..

Reactions: NVR

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just changed to DHCP for WLan and the camera was finally picked up by SADP for a few seconds then disappeared again. It gave the ip and default as 0.0.0.0 this time though, this is while on 12v DC power.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just changed to DHCP for WLan and the camera was finally picked up by SADP for a few seconds then disappeared again. It gave the ip and default as 0.0.0.0 this time though, this is while on 12v DC power.
Try a hard reset...

Reactions: NVR

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good question Tritongr, and the only way I finally got things to work is by connecting both, POE and DC power and then disconnecting the POE. If I plug the DC power from off state, the wifi will not come on. My next test is to see if this will work with a none poe cable. Anyone know whats going on here?

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just tried a regular Ethernet with the DC power also connected and no go. POE and DC power combined then unplugging the POE is the only way to get wifi to work. I have two cams like this.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Problem was solved using a different 1.5a power adapter, lesson learned here, if you see a 2a power adapter for $5 with free shipping, you are risking it. Even though thats all you see now online. Power lights and IR powering on also are not good indicators of sufficient amperage.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The adapter that worked is by APD (Asian Power Devices) and seems to be OEM for a few big names like Kodak, Western Digital. In case someone is looking for a descent adapter.