DS-2CD2532-IS Bricked

bearclaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have read all through the forums and there is snippets of info here and there, but alot of things seem unresolved. Here is my scenario:

- DS-2CD2532-IS Camera. Sticker says Firmware 5.2.8_141231 and manufacturer date of 01/2015.
- Camera was previously MTD Region changed running 5.2.5_141201. working fine
- I tried to add 4 region ROI by changing out the davinci.tar.gz for CN Cameras. (Which I think was my mistake as my cameras are now EN?) I made the change to the /dav/initrun.sh file as well.
- Camera would not boot properly so I TFTP recovered the camera with the 4 Region ROI digicap.dav. This worked but it was all in Chinese.
- I re-applied the MTD Region change and rebooted. NO Dice.

Now, I have tried all manner of firmwares and I just get a boot loop except with 5.3.0 which dumps me into the MINsystem thing in SADP.

- tftps seem to work fine.
- I can telnet in after tftp
- If I dump the logs I get the "Initramfs unpacking failed: junk in compressed archive.
- Unfortunately I do not have a backup of my mtd files. I did dump mtd5 and mtd6 and adjust them back to chinese by changing the flags from 01 to 02. Im still not exactly sure how or if I need to do something with Checksums. I do recall not having to dela with them when I region changed this camera in the first place.

Any suggestions as to what to try next would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1st your camera was not mtd hacked before as a firmware change wouldn't have removed it.

From what you have described you have messed up the mtd hack balance, so restore your original mtd5 and mtd6 files. Make sure the camera reboots,

Then watch the video here in the forum that I have posted MTD hack made easy.

This will fix you camera.

bearclaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To clarify:

- The camera WAS region changed through the MTD Hack as I did it myself changing from China 02 to English 01.
- I tried to replace just the davinci.tar.gz but that didn't work so applied the 4 Region ROI firmware for CN cameras. That worked but all in Chinese.
- I re-applied the MTD Hack using an older method:

Mount NFS Volume

./nanddump -nof mtd5_temp /dev/mtd5
./nanddump -nof mtd6_temp /dev/mtd6

echo -ne \\x01 | dd conv=notrunc seek=1620 bs=1 count=1 of=mtd5_temp
echo -ne \\x01 | dd conv=notrunc seek=16 bs=1 count=1 of=mtd6_temp

./flash_eraseall /dev/mtd5
./flash_eraseall /dev/mtd6

./nandwrite -o /dev/mtd5 mtd5_temp
./nandwrite -o /dev/mtd6 mtd6_temp

Reboot and that's where all the problems begin.

I assumed it was looking for the CN region in MTD 05 and 06 so to try to fix them I dumped them and changed them back to 02 using HxD.

Still no love.

I wish I still had the old MTD files from before I MTD hacked them in the first place.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks for the help

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The mtd is not affected by 4 line fix, That aside did you use Hxd as it should have made a back up of your originals, can you recover to files you got to Chinese you had earlier ?
As we may have a chance to recover from there.

As mentioned before the method used did not balanced the firmware
This is easily fix just watch the video

Last edited by a moderator:

bearclaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
YAY! Unbricked. I just kind of reversed my steps and figured the breakdown was where I applied the MTD hack after it came up all in chinese. I had not done the date modification as I didnt recall having to do it before so I figured if I changed the mtd5 and 6 back to region 1 and applied the date fix for the checksum it might work, and it did!!!

Thanks again for your patience and guidance.