DS-2CD2542FWD-IS vertical wall mount & rotate

david_ffm

n3wb
Reaction score
I intend to purchase a DS-2CD2542FWD-IS to monitor my staircase. However before I do so I wanted to make sure I can install it as intended:

- Basically my only option is to install it on a vertical wall, facing towards the staircase to be monitored.
- The camera will need to be tilted down by more than 45°
- I want to rotate the image to 9:16 as the regular horizontal widescreen does not make sense for my angle.

My questions:
- Can I install the camera as intended, i.e. if the camera is mounted vertically, will I be able to tilt it down AND rotate to 9:16?
- Can I install it regularly (i.e. with the 'Hikvision' logo on the op) and rotate the lens somehow and then still tilt it down? Or do I need to install it sideways?

I have also attached a basic drawing of how the camera will be facing, sideways. Clearly I did not go to art school though.

Many thanks,
David

Attachments

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with that particular model, but most of the dome style cams have 3axis adjustment. So you should be able to twist the lens to allign it how you want. As far as the image, I have only seen the option to “flip” up/down or side to side. I don’t believe you can “rotate” the image 90 deg. You could always rotate the lens to match the aspect to the corridor like you want, but your image on the screen will be rotated...

david_ffm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Trax, makes sense with the 3-axis adjustment - according to certain websites it seems the model has it.

Regarding rotation, basically I am looking to enable this mode: Hikvision USA

For me, the mode works well with the DS-2CD2042WD-I -- except that this bullet cam can only be rotated as a whole, which would mean it needs to be mounted sideways.

So will give it a try with the mini dome!

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool, I didn’t realize that could be done. I have never seen “rotate mode” in the GUI. Could you explain where it is? Maybe only some have the option

david_ffm

n3wb
Reaction score
For my DS-2CD2042WD-I, I was able to find it under Configuration > Image > Video Adjustment, then put ROTATE on ON.

Major disadvantage of the format is the viewing on a normal 16:9 PC screen for instance, given that the picture is then 9:16. But most frequently I check single cameras on my mobile phone via DS cam, for which the rotation is actually quite nice.

bamix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My questions:
- Can I install the camera as intended, i.e. if the camera is mounted vertically, will I be able to tilt it down AND rotate to 9:16?
I installed one of these vertically on a garage front wall looking across the driveway at just a flat surface level. To be honest, I struggled to get it to that extreme position as it ran out of adjustment and the cable behind the lens ball was a bit stressed at the same point.

As you need it to point lower than that, maybe double check physically if you can before you purchase.

david_ffm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks bamix, sounds like it might be quite tight then ... given that I actually will need to tilt it down quite significantly to get a good angle.

That aside, I placed my order yesterday, so will just wait and see and if worst comes to worst just mount it horizontally.

Will let you know!

bamix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I actually think you will be OK. Getting the lens ball to near perpendicular was tricky but if you rotate the assembly to suit after loosening the clamp screw then the natural travel of the lens ball will probably work in your favour.

There is a plastic cup that comes with the Camera that fits over the lens to make it easier to handle whilst adjusting. Just be mindful of the cable at the rear as well as they are a tightly packed little unit.

Good Luck !

david_ffm

n3wb
Reaction score
That sounds promising, thanks!! Maybe you can even help me with another question while I wait for the camera to be delivered:

My idea is to drill through the wall at the spot where the camera will be mounted, and put all the three cables through the wall directly, i.e. not using a junction box.

Any idea what the diameter of the hole / drill bit should be? Was thinking 40mm, or do you think a smaller size will work as well?

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I drill 7/8” for the Ethernet jack. but why not just wait until you have it in hand to be sure?

david_ffm

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah agree that this would be the safest best, was just thinking to already order the drill bit to safe some time (cheaper to order online).

With 7/8", would that be sufficient to pass through all three jacks (i.e. alarm, LAN and dc in) in your view? Guess it should be possible to put them behind each other.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They go in one at a time. I don’t recall if I have passed an alarm terminal through a wall opening, but I think I have one laying around I could measure for you

bamix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The lead set is like in the attached image.

I use 25mm (near enough to 1") and they pass through OK, best to do it one at a time as Trax95008 suggested.

MiniDome_Connectors.jpg

david_ffm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again for your help, much appreciated! Finally installed the camera two days ago. Rotate mode works nicely. Used a 28mm drill which was actually more than fine.