DS-2CD2732F-I quit working, no video / picture

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All of a sudden one of our DS-2cd3732f-i cameras quit working, no video. I tried to reset with a power cycle by unplugging the ethernet cable (poe) but that didn't work. (tried 30 seconds, 2 minutes, and over night)
I took the camera down, used external power and our regular network (hikvision cameras on hikvision poe switches) switch (cisco non-poe).
The red power light came on along with the green network lights; I was able to log into the camera via the web interface and got a live view video.

If I take the same data cable and plug it into the Hikvision poe switch, the red power light comes on along with the green network lights. I can log into the camera via the web interface and get a live view video.

Our Hikvision NVR software won't recognize the camera and I can't see it using the iVMS-4200 software (no video, error message not connecting).

So, the camera itself seems to be working, just not with the NVR and iVMS software.

Suggestions as to where I should start to fix this problem?
Should I reset the camera to factory spec's and reload?
If so, what is the correct method for doing that?

Thanks,
Brad

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I think you should try a factory reset. There should be a reset button in the camera's web interface, though I don't have access to a Hikvision right now so I can't point you at exactly where.

PoE modules sometimes go bad on cameras and you have to switch to the 12v DC jack. That may have happened to your camera; maybe it was hit by a power surge. It may have affected the old network cable too.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
bp2008,
thanks for your reply, I will look that up.
now that this camera has been inside for a couple of hours, I had it unplugged, I plugged it in to reset it and now it's being recognized and working. :confused:

If I wanted to update the firmware do you know where I would find / download the latest version for US?
We're using V5.2.0build 140721.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, I searched and found firmware on the Hikvision US site; v5.4.0_160530

I opened the zip file but there wasn't any description as to changes or fixes etc., is there a place they have that posted before I upgrade? Or should I update the firmware?

thanks
brad

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
... now that this camera has been inside for a couple of hours, I had it unplugged, I plugged it in to reset it and now it's being recognized and working. :confused:
You implied that the camera is mounted outside. Could it be that the outdoor weather or moisture affected the camera?

I've been told that dome cameras mounted outside are more problematic than bullet or turrets. Just a thought ...

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
alastairstevenson,
thanks for the release notes link.

keyboard,
appreciate the thoughts, all our outside cameras are "dome" cameras installed by a third party company. I was a little concerned about them especially the ones mounted on the side walls; snow and rain make them hard to see through. Not impressed with the installation but nice cameras otherwise.

we've had them about 18 months now, so they've been through all our weather. I have had random problems with them cutting in and out.

Thank you for the comments and replies

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not recommend a firmware update. I have a cam or two on 5.2.0 and they are fine. Actually, I think it was version 5.1.6 that had the most features and they took some out for 5.2.0. But I stopped paying attention to Hikvision firmware updates after that. If you update to 5.4.0, you'll lose the ability to reset the admin password with the tool that is stickied in the Hikvision section here, and I'm not sure what else. That is, assuming your camera is even compatible with whatever firmware you find. I can't tell you how many people put US/international firmware on a Chinese Hikvision camera and brick it.

Out of my 13-something Hikvision cameras, only one of them drops out occasionally (a few times a year, of course it is one not behind a remote controllable power switch and it happens when I'm not home). Actually it is going to be replaced in the next few weeks when Andy gets the second Dahua Starlight cam I ordered shipped to me.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
bp2008,
thank you very much for that input. that's just the kind of input I like to see.
with a lot of other equipment they say to update to the "latest", in this case I'll take your advise and keep what I have.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did do the factory reset and reinstalled it back outside.
It's been cold(er), rain, sleet so we'll see what happens, so far so good it's been 24 hrs.