DS-2CD3345-I Upgrade

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading my Hikvision DS-2CD3345-I

I 'd like to give Dahua a try.

Would the IPC-HDW4431C-A give a better night image?
Would a starlight IPC-HDW4231EM-AS vastly improve the night image?

Opinions please :)

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For one, the location of your current cam is causing lots of IR reflection back into the lens, thus hurting it's night performance. The cam needs to moved out closer to the fascia.

Still pics don't tell the whole story, what does you current cam look like with a person moving through the field of view?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
4431 should be about the same as the 3345 but I don't think I've had both cameras mounted in the same spot to exactly compare performance. I own one of each though. The 4231 will be better. You can improve things like looney said. Even just move the current camera ahead a bit so that there are no bright spots in the immediate FOV. That'll level out the average exposure and cause the cam to brighten up the dark area, which is what you're interested in. Nobody wants to see bright trim pieces, just clear facial pics of troublemakers. Also, that lens is too wide at that distance for good ID even in the daytime but it's a decent overview and situational awareness cam. I'd add another cam lower down with probably a 6mm lens for better coverage of people touching the vehicles and coming in the driveway. It'll add its light and improve the performance of the overview cam as well. Hopefully you've got a motion light there to improve things when folks are moving around.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading my Hikvision DS-2CD3345-I

I 'd like to give Dahua a try.

Would the IPC-HDW4431C-A give a better night image?
Would a starlight IPC-HDW4231EM-AS vastly improve the night image?

Opinions please :)
done even consider the 4431...
the starlight would be far superior, along with the hikvision low light 2-3mp cams...