DS-2CD3345-I video quality compare to an equivalent Dahua

hieppo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I know this is a Dahua subforum but just in case some do have some inputs.

Though I only have one sample, I would not purchase another Hikvision based on how the brand was so highly suggested. I would expect each and every model should be as good or better than the competitor especially unknown brand.

I really want to try a Dahua but I am not sure if I should shell out and just pick up one Dahua to test and find that it is only as good as this Hikvision. Since I have tried other unknown name that are cheaper and works better for my needs. I have tried out a Longse and an Ampiviz camera and both are better quality and cheaper than the Hikvision.

Day time performance is the same for all models. The difference can be seen for night time performance. The Hikvision is grainier and more ghosting with motion. This is the most important feature I would consider when buying a camera. But other thing I noticed was the buggy NAS feature, it just does not work as described.

So really my question other than my rant, does the Dahua have good night time performance and does NAS (NFS/CIFS) works straightforward? For example, it just use the NAS folder and write the the files without pre-allocation like Hikvision.

The Dahua model I was looking at specifically is IPC-HDW4631C-A. I know this is a China region hack with English firmware. So any firmware upgrade is not supported.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know this is a Dahua subforum but just in case some do have some inputs.

Though I only have one sample, I would not purchase another Hikvision based on how the brand was so highly suggested. I would expect each and every model should be as good or better than the competitor especially unknown brand.

I really want to try a Dahua but I am not sure if I should shell out and just pick up one Dahua to test and find that it is only as good as this Hikvision. Since I have tried other unknown name that are cheaper and works better for my needs. I have tried out a Longse and an Ampiviz camera and both are better quality and cheaper than the Hikvision.

Day time performance is the same for all models. The difference can be seen for night time performance. The Hikvision is grainier and more ghosting with motion. This is the most important feature I would consider when buying a camera. But other thing I noticed was the buggy NAS feature, it just does not work as described.

So really my question other than my rant, does the Dahua have good night time performance and does NAS (NFS/CIFS) works straightforward? For example, it just use the NAS folder and write the the files without pre-allocation like Hikvision.

The Dahua model I was looking at specifically is IPC-HDW4631C-A. I know this is a China region hack with English firmware. So any firmware upgrade is not supported.
This is all on you. In a effort to save money and being lazy to research you purchased a junk low end china region hikvision with a CRAPPY sensor.
Why in the world would you expect each and every hikvision to perform well in low light. There are different applications for every camera. That is like saying, I purchased a toyota corrola and it sucks for towing my mobile home. I will never buy a toyota again!!!
Now you want to make the same mistake and buy a hacked dahua with a crappy sensor. You then wonder why your low light performance is poor. Do both hikvision, dahua and yourself a favor and stick with low end crap.

hieppo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for a quick response. I guess if I want top performance i have to pay at least $200 for camera. Guess if cheap is a requirement then stay away from brand name.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for you input. I guess if I want top performance i have to pay at least $200 for camera. Guess if cheap is a requirement then stay away from brand name.
Again you failed to do BASIC research and pulled 200 out of thin air. Why are you so lazy?
Now your are changing your requirements. If you want top performance you will need to pay WAY more than 200 dollars. There are very good cameras that perform exceptionally well in low light for less than 200. Guess if you dont spend the time to perform a basic forum search you will never know.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on this sticky, Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

The Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS, is $200.
The Dahua IPC-HDW3441TM-AS, is $150.

Can you suggest sub $100 Dahua?
So now you’ve changed your mind and decided the price has to be sub 100?
The 5442 is 160 not 200. There are cheaper two megapixel models for about 100 bucks. If you’re looking for a quality $50 camera just forget it and keep on using the crap that you own.

hieppo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Guess you talking about USD. I can't afford >100 per camera. So almost 1K for cameras for my need is overkill. Thanks anyway. You are very helpful.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
As Fender said you get what you pay for. A better way forward would be to buy cameras such as the PC-T5442TM-AS, but buy less of them. Start off small with a few then add then as you can afford them. Nothing you buy in the $50 range will even come close. There was a recent model sub $100 camera on here that had excellent performance, but you'd have to search the forum as I don't remember the model number. However, you're far better off buying quality and less of them, than spending $1K on lots of crap only to have to spend more than $1K again later when you're still not satisfied. $1K of crap is still crap and not a bargain. $1K of quality, even if there's less of them will still be quality and $1K well invested will be a start to build on as resources allow. As for NVR's etc, just get BI on a pc. Far better, upgradeable and more flexible.