DS-2CD3410FD-IW Cube camera

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My partner and I are almost back into our home with our little girls and my partner has mentioned she'll be buying a couple of babycams with a display. I'm trying to convince her to give them the flick and go with a cube cam instead so was looking at the DS-2CD3410FD-IW. It'll come in cheaper than the $260AUD she was looking to spend on standalone babycams and a display which is a positive and down the track I could repurpose them for something else like keeping an eye on the dogs inside or something

Has anyone used these and are they essentially the same as the DS-2CD2432F-IW bar the resolution?

Alternatively, just stumbled across the Dahua cube cam tonight, the IPC-KW12W. Anyone used that or know how it compares to the DS-2CD3410FD-IW? It's about $2.40 difference between them so not fussed about brand.

Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My partner and I are almost back into our home with our little girls and my partner has mentioned she'll be buying a couple of babycams with a display. I'm trying to convince her to give them the flick and go with a cube cam instead so was looking at the DS-2CD3410FD-IW. It'll come in cheaper than the $260AUD she was looking to spend on standalone babycams and a display which is a positive and down the track I could repurpose them for something else like keeping an eye on the dogs inside or something

Has anyone used these and are they essentially the same as the DS-2CD2432F-IW bar the resolution?

Alternatively, just stumbled across the Dahua cube cam tonight, the IPC-KW12W. Anyone used that or know how it compares to the DS-2CD3410FD-IW? It's about $2.40 difference between them so not fussed about brand.

Thanks in advance.
The dahua uses a white light led for night vision, not IR...
How much is the 3410 going to cost you?
Are you using this standalone or with an NVR? Will you be setting up remote access?
Note the firmware will not be upgradeable.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The dahua uses a white light led for night vision, not IR...
Hi fenderman

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I didn't realise the Dahua didn't use IR leds so I think my decision is going to go towards the 3410.

How much is the 3410 going to cost you?
The 3410 will work out to be $95AUD each shipped.

Are you using this standalone or with an NVR? Will you be setting up remote access?
Nah using them standalone at this stage, not even going to bother with recording either. If I repurpose them down the track and use it to keep an eye on the dogs, I'll trying adding them to Synology Surveillance Station but not a deal breaker if that doesn't work. I could always record to a SD card if need be but I kind of feel funny about recording inside my own home. I've already got an OpenVPN tunnel set up for remote access into home for the alarm system, HVAC control, lighting control as well as access to Surveillance Station so access remotely to the 3410 shouldn't be an issue.

Note the firmware will not be upgradeable.
Yeah not a deal breaker either, as long as it is usable and provides the functionality I require out of the box I won't need to update it. I'm of the mentality that if it ain't broke then I don't need to touch it. My original 3 cams I got 18 months ago are still on v5.1.0

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, if you are using vpn, then you dont need firmware updates for security holes (not that the updates close all the holes anyway, but thats another topic)..
Another thing to consider is the the 2mp and 3mp versions will have a wider field of view...so with a 2.8mm lens you can cover an entire room....
In the US we can get the 2mp version of the camera for 99...with full warranty and US region...

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that predominantly we'll be using these on the local lan when we're in the other room to check on the girls when they stir in the middle of the night.

The best price I can the see the 2432 available on AE is $165-$175 shipped. The 2422 is $200 on AE shipped.

I thought about 2.8mm lens compared to 4mm and figured the 4mm will be sufficient as it'll just be looking into a cot or a kids bed.

I'm not opposed to buying from the US but I'm in Australia. :) What's the warranty going to be like if it's either shipped direct to Australia or via my mail forwarder? Have you got a link or two to look at regardless?

The biggest thing to get this over the line is to be either cheaper (better) or comparable to what she's looking to pay for 2 babycams and a display. She's already slightly unhappy that I'm adding another 7 Hiks to the 3 we already have as well as a Dahua PTZ hence why price is sensitive. It not that we can't afford it, I'm just already in the dog house. :)