DS-7208HUHI-K2, firmware 4.21.002 Password Reset Hell(p)

CmdrBond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A friend of mine owns a local business. He recently "sold" it, then retook ownership. The interim "owner" racked up some bad debts amongst other things, but also changed the admin password on the DVR.

I'm trying to help him reset it, but so far everything has fallen flat.

We can access the DVR using the unlock pattern, but cannot do anything that requires the admin password.

Although he has Hik-Connect on his phone, there is no Hik-Connect option in the "forgot password" option on the DVR itself.

No email or security questions have been set, and there's no GUID file.

Opening SADP, I get an option to send Hik a message through "WeChat". Took me a while to work out what that was, and even longer to get it installed, as you need to be verified by an existing user. Luckily I know a couple of Chinese people, and they just happened to have WeChat, so I managed to create and verify an account. But then scanning the QR code presented by SADP did nothing but spout a load of random text.

I have tried the tool here: Hikvision Password Reset Tool, using both todays date and the date listed under the "start time", as well as variations on the serial number (
DS-7208HUHI-K20820191212CCWRD98392478WCVU, K20820191212CCWRD98392478WCVU, or 0820191212CCWRD98392478WCVU), but the password reset fails.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine owns a local business. He recently "sold" it, then retook ownership. The interim "owner" racked up some bad debts amongst other things, but also changed the admin password on the DVR.

We can access the DVR using the unlock pattern, but cannot do anything that requires the admin password.

Although he has Hik-Connect on his phone, there is no Hik-Connect option in the "forgot password" option on the DVR itself.

Opening SADP, I get an option to send Hik a message through "WeChat". Took me a while to work out what that was, and even longer to get it installed, as you need to be verified by an existing user. Luckily I know a couple of Chinese people, and they just happened to have WeChat, so I managed to create and verify an account. But then scanning the QR code presented by SADP did nothing but spout a load of random text.

I have tried the tool here: Hikvision Password Reset Tool, using both todays date and the date listed under the "start time", as well as variations on the serial number (
DS-7208HUHI-K20820191212CCWRD98392478WCVU, K20820191212CCWRD98392478WCVU, or 0820191212CCWRD98392478WCVU), but the password reset fails.
Hi @CmdrBond

Is there a way to do a hardware reset on the mother board ?

CmdrBond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @CmdrBond

Is there a way to do a hardware reset on the mother board ?
I haven't opened it up to look inside - it's in a working fast food takeaway and I'm only available to look at it in the evenings.

But if anyone knows how to do a hardware reset, I'll gladly take a screwdriver to it

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't opened it up to look inside - it's in a working fast food takeaway and I'm only available to look at it in the evenings.

But if anyone knows how to do a hardware reset, I'll gladly take a screwdriver to it
Perhaps some here know more about Hikvision DVRs .. most of the site is focusing on IP cameras not CCTV ..

There should be a way to reset it ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

btw - here's the manual for this DVR .. quick look and I did not see a board level hardware reset mentioned .. ( searched on reset )

1684218786707.png

Attachments