DS 7604N E1/4P firmware question US vs Europe

badmana

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having problems with my NVR after updating (dreaded boot loop with the logo visible on screen) and asking if someone could upload the TFTP software needed to fix it (no longer available from Hikvision).

While I wait for that though I'm wondering if anyone has found any differences between all the regions firmware?

This morning I got a new camera that should have worked out of the box (DS-2CD3145F-I - it says the 7600N E1 NVR would work but it doesn't).

I needed to update the firmware so I found and updated to 3.3.1 (from 3.0.10) and it worked perfectly (used hiktools to fix the language). The camera still didn't work so I located the most recent firmware 3.3.4 from the same site I got 3.3.1 from. Loaded it and it didn't work. I now get about 10 beeps with a splash screen and then it resets.

All these files came from the overseas.hikvision.com site and I see there are slightly different files from the NA and EU sites.

Do you think I'd have a chance to make this work with the other region firmwares? This camera needs 3.3.4 so I need to keep trying until one works (or I return the camera). Is there a chance reflashing the same firmware again will fix this problem?

Thanks for any help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you've tripped over the latest region-blocking nonsense.
Do you know what underlying region your NVR is?
The 3.3.4 US and ML NVR firmware, and presumably later, complains quite loudly and goes into quite a long boot loop when applied to an NVR with a hardware region=2
Example:

"!!!!!!!you Device is illegal, Please call factory!!!!!!
!!!!!!!you Device is illegal, Please call factory!!!!!!
!!!!!!!you Device buy in cn, you firmware is en err!!!!!!
!!!!!!!you Device buy in cn, you firmware is en err!!!!!!

badmana

n3wb
Reaction score
Since I had to change the language I'm thinking my NVR is a Chinese locked version (if I knew this was a thing I would have tried to locate one locally). I can see all the serial info is in Chinese but does not have "CH" in front of the code (the US site warns of grey market units). My unit has a GB code (can't read if it's the serial number though).

I get a splash screen and a constant beeping for ~15 seconds and it restarts. Doesn't give me a message.

Reaction score
This... My exact same problem.. Trying to source an OLDER firmware to flash to it.. I've region changed one firmware, but it does not want to TFTP across to it..

7616N-E2.. Any assistance from others that have been through it would be appreciated..

Paul.

badmana

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I managed to fix mine and I have no idea why it worked.

I, by luck, found an old 3.0.10 firmware file someone here posted and it worked, bringing my unit back to English. I then updated to 3.3.1 which worked before in English (modded with hiktools).

I still needed 3.4.0 for my new camera and I had read that the original Chinese firmware worked for some people. I went to the Chinese site and spent a bit of time finding the firmware (all menus in Chinese) and I found it. It was already flagged as CN and I didn't mod it. I loaded it and it works! It's working right now and I don't know why.

I then found out my camera still didn't work but that's because at some point it was used (had a p/w already loaded) so I hard reset the unit and it came to life. Everything works and I will never touch my NVR again and never buy Hikvision cameras period. Don't want to mess with grey market units and language locks.

The 7616 unit should use the same firmware as my 7604. Try using the original chinese firmware for 3.4.0 and it should work! (might need to make sure English works first).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for getting there!
It worked because you managed to use older firmware which worked in English, and that choice was maintained via the subsequent web GUI updates that also converted and maintained the prior configuration settings.
What I'd strongly suggest now is to store in a safe location the specific firmware files that you used to recover the NVR, and a copy of the exported device configuration when you have it set up as you want it.
That way you can get back to the current state if you ever need to.

Everything works and I will never touch my NVR again and never buy Hikvision cameras period.
You are not alone in expressing these sentiments, as a consequence of Hikvision's (IMO) misguided region-restricting actions to prop up the big markups of their 'authorised resellers / distributors'.
The area that suffers is Hikvision's own sales, and their brand reputation. Their competition will benefit.
There is no reason why the so-called 'grey market' cannot co-exist with the so-called value-added sales chain, as it does in many other markets.
Time will tell if that realisation happens.

Thanks for sharing your experience - it may well help others.