DS-7604N-E1/4P wont boot up

fevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

Few days ago my NVR started playing that annoying "beep" sound. "Beep" repeated itself like 10 - 15 times and then the NVR restarted. Then the same thing happened again, rinse repeat.
Thought it was my HDD failing, so went ahead and purchased a new one. Unfortunately same thing happens when i use another brand new HDD.
I turn in NVR and it starts to boot, few seconds later beeping begins (10-15 beeps) and the NVR is stuck at loading screen (see screenshot).
You think i need to replace the NVR or i am just unlucky with the HDD's?
Are the Hikvision NVR able to boot, without a HDD installed?

Kind regards

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Are the Hikvision NVR able to boot, without a HDD installed?
Yes, they are.
But they will complain about an HDD fault. But not 15 beeps.

Few days ago my NVR started playing that annoying "beep" sound. "Beep" repeated itself like 10 - 15 times and then the NVR restarted. Then the same thing happened again, rinse repeat.
One cause of a 15-beep bootloop is a China region NVR being updated with EN/ML firmware.
Judging from the model code 7604N-E1/4P, your NVR may be a China region device.
Did you update the firmware?
Is it exposed to the internet by having 'port forwarding' set up?

fevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes exactly. I updated the firmware couple of weeks ago. I guess my NVR is China region (purchased on AliExpress). Sounds like you are spot on...
Is there any way to roll back the firmware update or update to correct China version?

Is it exposed to the internet by having 'port forwarding' set up?
Hmm, im not sure. I did do the port forwarding back when i initially installed the system, but changed router few times since then.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes exactly. I updated the firmware couple of weeks ago. I guess my NVR is China region (purchased on AliExpress). Sounds like you are spot on...
Is there any way to roll back the firmware update or update to correct China version?
To get this back to English would require hacked firmware.
Rollback would only be possible if the seller had provided you with a copy of the hacked firmware that was on it.

The NVR will likely take the CN firmware, the 7th one down from here : 海康威视是以视频为核心的物联网解决方案提供商
But you'd have to add it using the Hikvision tftp updater, or via the serial console connection on the main board.

Even if that works, it will be CN menus, and likely 'Language mismatch' when connecting to non-China-region cameras.

I updated the firmware couple of weeks ago.
And it only just started the 15-beep bootloop a few days back? Normally it would do this immediately after the update.

fevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow so i basically broke the NVR when i updated the firmware :(
If i manage to update/rollback to the CN firmware i understand the menu will be in Chinese, but how about the software, if i connect to the NVR through iVMS? Will this be in english language?

Even if that works, it will be CN menus, and likely 'Language mismatch' when connecting to non-China-region cameras.
The cams are from same seller on Ali, so i think i am alright here.

fevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Two more questions.

1. If i purchase a new NVR in my own country (Denmark), will they work if my cams are Chinese region?
  2. If not, can i then buy a new NVR from China with hacked firmware and this would work with my cams?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If i purchase a new NVR in my own country (Denmark), will they work if my cams are Chinese region?
Apart from very old firmware versions on the NVR, it will complain about a 'language mismatch' with China region cameras - unless they are running hacked firmware that makes them appear to be International.
If not, can i then buy a new NVR from China with hacked firmware and this would work with my cams?
It does sound like that is what you originally did.

fevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi again

I managed to get it working again (with english menus) by installing old english firmware (3.0.10 build 141126). Got this from another thread of yours.
Then i read i can update to 3.3.4 version and still maintaining english language, but i cant find this anywhere?
Actually, the only thing i am trying to achieve is getting the cams compatible with Hik-connect so i can view cams from outside home, and it seems i cant do this with old firmware on nvr (3.0.10) ?

fevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks alot for your effort so far, atleast i got the cams working :)

But is there any way to get the NVR updated so i can use HikConnect?

Reaction score
Hi again

I managed to get it working again (with english menus) by installing old english firmware (3.0.10 build 141126). Got this from another thread of yours.
Then i read i can update to 3.3.4 version and still maintaining english language, but i cant find this anywhere?
Actually, the only thing i am trying to achieve is getting the cams compatible with Hik-connect so i can view cams from outside home, and it seems i cant do this with old firmware on nvr (3.0.10) ?
Hiya - do you have the old English firmware link you can send me please? 3.0.10 build 141126 .... I have same issue as you had... thanks.

Reaction score
With no guarantee it's going to do what you need - but easy enough to try, see attached.
Thanks for the quick reply and file, I have a 7604N-E1/4P which was working fine on English, this is an Aliexpress version so guessing a clone... foolishly I upgraded the firmware with latest ML version (NVR_K41_BL_EN_STD_V3.4.6_160405.zip) and now it's looping with beeps after logo is displayed.
I connected a cable from laptop (192.0.0.128) and NVR responds on 192.0.0.64, but TFTP never connects....then NVR reboots..
I think will have to buy the USB to ITT cable, will this do the job? USB To RS232 TTL UART PL2303HX Converter USB to COM Module Serial Cable Adapter 7594299413069 | eBay

Appreciate any help.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that USB to serial TTL convertor looks OK.
Also you will need a 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH wired connector, usually sold in 10-packs.

I connected a cable from laptop (192.0.0.128) and NVR responds on 192.0.0.64, but TFTP never connects
Best to connect both PC and NVR to the router/switch as normal.
A direct connection intoduces extra negotiation timing that can embarrass the Hikvision tftp updater.

Reaction score
Also you will need a 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH wired connector, usually sold in 10-packs.

A direct connection intoduces extra negotiation timing that can embarrass the Hikvision tftp updater.
Thanks will try tftp again with a switch in the middle tomorrow evening, if it still fails will order the cable and connector, does the 4-pin connector go on this white socket on my nvr?

Attachments

Reaction score

I had to buy the cable in the end as it kept on looping, I've gotten this far this evening, any assistance appreciated...it's complaining about a language mis-match, I guess as mine was from AliExpress....do you have any other firmware I could try? tips?

Attachments