DS-7604NI-K1/4P - POE ports not powering cameras

Alan C

n3wb
Reaction score
Noobie Alert!

Really need some help with a Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1/4P

Got three cameras working but the POE ports will not power up on this NVR and drive the cameras.
I used a splitter cable and powered the cameras directly and the NVR POE network ports are working fine.

I suspect its something I'm doing since I swapped the NVR once already and the replacement is having identical issue and not powering the POE ports - cant be possible to have two units with POE faults right.

Points of note.
1. Everything works if I power the IP cameras via a splitter
2. Software accurately tells you NONE of the cameras are drawing any POE currrent :)
3. I have used pre-made cables to test and no POE powering up any of my cameras
4. Cameras are difference brands Hikvisions and ADATA OVNIFs
5. Spent an hour with HIKVISION support the other day on the first unit and they told me to swap for a new one. Did that and the replacement one has no POE either!! Surely there cant be a batch with no POE power.

Please can someone help me by telling me what I'm doig wrong ? IS there a switch in the software to turn it ON/OFF?

Thanks
Alan C

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is relevant - the user manual suggests PoE can be, or perhaps is, disabled when the PoE channel is in manual mode.
But the screenshot of Manual mode shows no settings to enable/disable PoE.
Manual: You can disable the PoE interface by selecting the manual while the current channel can be
used as a normal channel and the parameters can also be edited.
Do you have the PoE ports as Plug&Play or Manual?

Alan C

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know if this is relevant - the user manual suggests PoE can be, or perhaps is, disabled when the PoE channel is in manual mode.
But the screenshot of Manual mode shows no settings to enable/disable PoE.
Do you have the PoE ports as Plug&Play or Manual?
Thanks for the response. They are currently in Plug&Play and no POE power coming thru but I will check again. My issue is that at original time of adding the cameras there was never any POE power. I assume these default to Plug&Play as I have kept them that way (even after i powered up via a splitter).

Alan C

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. They are currently in Plug&Play and no POE power coming thru but I will check again. My issue is that at original time of adding the cameras there was never any POE power. I assume these default to Plug&Play as I have kept them that way (even after i powered up via a splitter).
So i checked and all the POE N/W ports are Plug & Play - no POE power though. Any ideas or do I have to go to Hikvision support again - thanks all.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used pre-made cables to test and no POE powering up any of my cameras
You are convinced these cables were fully wired?
Changing the PoE port mode to Manual and back to Plug&Play does nothing?
I have no other suggestions except ask Hikvision to explain the odd and difficult to interpret statement from the user manual.

Alan C

n3wb
Reaction score
You are convinced these cables were fully wired?
Changing the PoE port mode to Manual and back to Plug&Play does nothing?
I have no other suggestions except ask Hikvision to explain the odd and difficult to interpret statement from the user manual.
So i will get onto Hikvision again. The POE does not supply regardless of setting being Plug&Play or Manual to cameras. To negate the cable issue I even tried with the ethernet cable supplied by Hikvision in the box with the NVR. Thanks for your help Alastair - i will report back unless someone knows better than us.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Everything works if I power the IP cameras via a splitter
This is a really dumb question for which apologies - how do you know the cameras work OK on PoE as opposed to via the splitter that presumably gives out 12v?

secplus

n3wb
Reaction score
The ethernet wire, did you used pre-made or made your own ends?

Alan C

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a really dumb question for which apologies - how do you know the cameras work OK on PoE as opposed to via the splitter that presumably gives out 12v?
The cameras have been in use connected to a Synology NAS for a year using the ethernet cable I made with a splitter at camera send and the power injector cable at the NAS where I connected the power supply. This is definitely POE config right.

Alan C

n3wb
Reaction score
I should also have asked what kind of splitter.
An active splitter getting power from the NVR PoE ports would be interesting ...
So I did my final test. Connected a pre-made ethernet cable to the NVR POE port and measured voltage across pins 4/5 and 7/8. If POE was available, I was expecting 5V. Did not see this. Appears to be oscillating between 0 and 1V every 5 seconds or so. Is it polling for a camera ? Is it that clever ?

Finally verified by splitter and injector cables I'm using. All pins correspond to POE specification.

So, call to Hikvision next unless someone can advise why no power is coming from NVR when Plug&Play is set on all NVR ports.

Thanks all.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The cameras have been in use connected to a Synology NAS for a year using the ethernet cable I made with a splitter at camera send and the power injector cable at the NAS where I connected the power supply. This is definitely POE config right.
I don't think what you've described is an 'active PoE' setup. It sounds like a passive setup, for non-PoE cameras.
Having a splitter at the camera end suggests the camera does not support active PoE, ie an 802.3af PoE source or injector. What does the camera end splitter consist of?
With an active PoE injector, or the NVR, the ethernet cable simply plugs straight in to the camera.
If the camera supports active PoE - power comes on.

What voltage was the power supply?
I'm guessing 12v.

The PoE from the NVR is at least 802.3af compliant.
This provides a nominal 48v down the cable - but only in response to a specific 'handshake' from the camera. The camera signifies it's a PoE device by initially applying a specific resistor across 2 of the wires, then there is a power-up sequence.
ppears to be oscillating between 0 and 1V every 5 seconds or so. Is it polling for a camera ? Is it that clever
Yes, it is. You don't want to apply 48v to a non-PoE device, there has to be a way to identify what's on the other end, even when it has no power yet.

Alan C

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think what you've described is an 'active PoE' setup. It sounds like a passive setup, for non-PoE cameras.
Having a splitter at the camera end suggests the camera does not support active PoE, ie an 802.3af PoE source or injector. What does the camera end splitter consist of?
With an active PoE injector, or the NVR, the ethernet cable simply plugs straight in to the camera.
If the camera supports active PoE - power comes on.

What voltage was the power supply?
I'm guessing 12v.

The PoE from the NVR is at least 802.3af compliant.
This provides a nominal 48v down the cable - but only in response to a specific 'handshake' from the camera. The camera signifies it's a PoE device by initially applying a specific resistor across 2 of the wires, then there is a power-up sequence.

Yes, it is. You don't want to apply 48v to a non-PoE device, there has to be a way to identify what's on the other end, even when it has no power yet.
So I feel really stupid now. In proper POE config the power goes straight to the camera via the ethernet lead and the power cable on camera is redundant right. So the splitter I have at camera end is the issue. I hear you Alastair and I think you have shown me the way :) thank you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it just bursts into life. I have a feeling it will.
3. I have used pre-made cables to test and no POE powering up any of my cameras
But this description suggests you just directly hooked the camera and NVR PoE port together with only an ethernet cable.
What else was in play?

Alan C

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it just bursts into life. I have a feeling it will.

But this description suggests you just directly hooked the camera and NVR PoE port together with only an ethernet cable.
What else was in play?
A splitter at the camera end that's not needed for POE operation right :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A PoE camera should be connected to a PoE switch or NVR PoE port with just an Ethernet cable in between, nothing more.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it also sounds like by using a splitter, that he pulled the 48v off the cable and applied it to the 12v input. im wondering if the cameras are now damaged...

Alan C

n3wb
Reaction score
it also sounds like by using a splitter, that he pulled the 48v off the cable and applied it to the 12v input. im wondering if the cameras are now damaged...
All working and I think I got away with not damaging the cameras. Hopefully this is because Hikvision cameras are engineered for my ignorance :)