DS-7608N-E2/8P Issues

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had a DS-7608N-E2/8P (Chinese model with English firmware, only option I had at the time) for a little over a year and I've been having some issues with it since day 1. The firmware version is V3.3.4 build 150616, the NVR region is "RR" and there are 6 Hikvision cameras (various Chinese models) connected to the POE ports. I believe the issues are firmware-related but I've been trying to find fixes/workarounds instead of upgrading the firmware for obvious reasons. If anyone has a firmware with reasonably good chances of working I'd be happy to try it since I'm confident I can recover the NVR if I need be (although I'd rather avoid the hassle). Here are some of the issues I'm having:
1- The NVR frequently hangs, it responds to pings but otherwise it's not accessible through the web interface and ivms (including RTSP streams). It stops recording and won't return to normal until it is rebooted manually. I managed to reduce the problem slightly by creating non-admin accounts with limited privileges in each of the cameras and having the NVR use them. Now, the NVR hangs every 2-3 hours for a few minutes then reboots on its own most of the time, although occasionally it does require a manual reboot.
The log shows "Local: Abnormal Shutdown". I suspect this problem is linked to memory management issues in the firmware.
2- Smart event recording, specifically line crossing and intrusion detection, doesn't work no matter what I try (motion detection does work though). I've gone through threads on this forum where people had similar issues and none of the suggestions worked for me. I'm getting around this by using scheduled continuous recording but it is very wasteful since some of the cameras are in areas where there is less than 10min a week that's worth recording. The NVR is receiving the smart events since they do show up in the continuous recordings.
3- Audio recording doesn't work. I can hear audio directly from the camera's web interface, RTSP and ivms. But when going through NVR, the audio doesn't work on the web interface, RTSP stream and ivms. VLC shows that there is an audio stream in the container but there is nothing to hear.

I'm open to all suggestions and I'd really appreciate some help.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What type of HDDs are in the NVR, and have you taken a look at the SMART detail counts to see if there is anything of concern?
2- Smart event recording, specifically line crossing and intrusion detection, doesn't work no matter what I try (motion detection does work though).
Well, that is abnormal. Would you like to show the associated configuration?

With several years of a couple of Hikvision NVRs (7816N-E2 and 7816N-E2/8P) I've actually seen zero unscheduled reboots or freezes, with firmware starting from 3.0.8
The initial things I'd explore would be the HDD(s), and then start with a reset to defaults configure from scratch if you haven't already done so.
I'm confident I can recover the NVR if I need be (although I'd rather avoid the hassle). Here are some of the issues I'm having:
This would imply that you have serial console access.
In which case some clue can surely be had through that when the NVR is in a non-responding state.
Though what you can do will be a bit more constrained than ideal with 'psh' in the way.

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What type of HDDs are in the NVR, and have you taken a look at the SMART detail counts to see if there is anything of concern?
The hard drive is a 3TB WD purple. I don't see anything of concern in the SMART detail counts but here is a screenshot in case I missed something:

screenshot.jpg

Well, that is abnormal. Would you like to show the associated configuration?
The cameras have "notify surveillance centre" enabled directly through the web interfaces/ivms. Line crossing and intrusion detection are enabled and the associated rules (blue lines that turn red when set off) are visible in ivms 4200 and web preview. Since non-admin accounts are used with the NVR, these settings (normally) cannot be set/changed by the NVR. In the NVR, I have recording enabled and I've tried various combinations including event recording, motion detection and alarm recording but none work (motion recording does work if motion detection is enabled in the camera but only with motion detection events).
One thing I should have probably mentioned earlier is that the NVR kept changing some of the camera parameters (e.g. video bitrate, framerate) randomly on its own. Sometimes my settings would stick for just a few hours, other times for days. That's the reason I'm using the non-admin accounts and how I found out that, incidentally, it reduced the severity of the hangs.

The initial things I'd explore would be the HDD(s), and then start with a reset to defaults configure from scratch if you haven't already done so.
I've been avoiding resetting to defaults because I've read several times that the NVR could potentially revert to Chinese by doing so, but I don't know if that applies to my NVR model/version.

This would imply that you have serial console access.
In which case some clue can surely be had through that when the NVR is in a non-responding state.
Though what you can do will be a bit more constrained than ideal with 'psh' in the way.
The only hurdle is that I'm not able to get the molex connector, at least not a reasonable amount of time. But, worst case, I could just solder wires directly onto the connector pins.

By the way, is there any way I can make a copy of the current NVR firmware through TFTP, telnet/ssh (if I can enable them) or the serial console before proceeding with a config reset or firmware upgrade?

Thanks alastair! :)

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see anything of concern in the SMART detail counts
You are correct, they look OK.
I've been avoiding resetting to defaults because I've read several times that the NVR could potentially revert to Chinese by doing so, but I don't know if that applies to my NVR model/version.
That may well be the case.
I found on my CN 7816 NVRs that web GUI updates from 3.0.8 retained the EN menus but a reset to defaults reverted them to CN with no EN selection.
The only solution was 'hacked to EN' firmware if I wanted to get best use out of the firmware updates available.
By the way, is there any way I can make a copy of the current NVR firmware through TFTP, telnet/ssh (if I can enable them) or the serial console before proceeding with a config reset or firmware upgrade?
Telnet was removed from the Busybox version quite early on in the NVR firmware - unlike the cameras where SSH is running but filtered by iptables.
The best you could do is export the configuration.

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update: I managed to upgrade the NVR firmware to a newer version and it seems that all the issues I was having have been resolved. So I think they can be attributed to the old firmware that came with the NVR, like I suspected. Just thought I'd post this in case somebody else was having similar issues.