DS-7608N-E2 Chinese NVR Advise need re firmware update

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all for the great work you do on this forum as you offer more support than Hikvision.
I have a DS-7608N-E2/8P Chinese NVR supplied with hack to Multi Lingual firmware.

Serial Number DS-7608N-E2/8P0820160909AARR*********WCVU
Version V3.4.8 build 160718
If possible I would like to update this to a later version as I have issues with the present firmware.

Using wzhick hiktools very helpful tool I have inspected the magic number of each available DS-7608NI firmware above V3.4.8 and repacked then with language set to 2 [CH]. Would this be the correct way to attempt a firmware upgrade without bricking the NVR?

Using a Win 10 computer is there a method where a export of the NVR files can be obtain that could be imported back to restore a bricked NVR?.

As a backup plan I have ordered a replacement NVR and the following items.
USB to RS232/TTL PL2303HX Cable Adapter COM Module Converter Adapter for Arduino | eBay

10 Sets KIT Mini Micro JST1.5mm ZH 4-Pin Connector Plug With Wires Cables 150mm | eBay.

Thanks.
Russ.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Using wzhick hiktools very helpful tool I have inspected the magic number of each available DS-7608NI firmware above V3.4.8 and repacked then with language set to 2 [CH]. Would this be the correct way to attempt a firmware upgrade without bricking the NVR?
No - you will end up with the '15 beep bootloop' which occurs when you force EN firmware on to a CN NVR.
This only changes the firmware header - not the underlying regional settings.
You have no choice but to use 'hacked to English' NVR firmware for any updates that would run and give EN menus.

Using a Win 10 computer is there a method where a export of the NVR files can be obtain that could be imported back to restore a bricked NVR?.
That would be possible if the version of firmware was older and still had telnet and no psh - but what you've quoted is too new for that.
I have issues with the present firmware.
What problems are you seeing?

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair.

What problems are you seeing?
The main one is during play back a black no resource bar appears at the bottom of the screen and when you switch back to live view it is still there with no way to remove it, bar restarting the NVR.

Also the NVR fails to randomly record from any one of the six cameras following an event and a NVR restore default setting is required before the NVR will record from that camera. ( cameras are DS-2CD2342WD-I with 5.5.0 firmware)