DS-7708NI-I4/8P Reboot Loop (Hikvision)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As it doesn't look like the firmware update has also cleared the configuration, it may be worth checking (this varies from model and manufacture date) is if there is a command still in the bootloader to erase the config. Sometimes something like erasecfg

Interrrupt the bootloader, then use 'b' to get down to the bootloader command prompt.
At the prompt use either
printenv
help

or if the command are obscured

setenv ';printenv'
setenv ';help'

to list the environment variables and apparent available commands.

Actually - I have a recollection that there may be another hidden command at the update menu - maybe e for erase or f for format. I think I once went through the alphabet there.
But if there is - be very careful to only erase the configuration.
I think - but not 100% sure - that 'e' by itself gives a hint for the needed parameters to select the configuration partition for the erase operation.

yorkie

n3wb
Reaction score
As it doesn't look like the firmware update has also cleared the configuration, it may be worth checking (this varies from model and manufacture date) is if there is a command still in the bootloader to erase the config. Sometimes something like erasecfg

I've only just seen your reply, so I'll have a look at this either during the daytime or on sunday.

I've had the motherboard out though, as I was going to go over it with a magnifying lens to see if there was a cracked solder joint or similar.... and it looks as if somebody has been at this board before me.
One thing I have noticed is that there appears to be a capacitor missing - to the top right of the board is the SATA HDD connections, but just down a little from that is a small 8-way socket (not the power socket, dunno what this little one is for) and the capacitor in question is next to it - "CV55".... in the 3rd post on this thread there is an image of the same motherboard type, and the capacitor is present:

So ideally if anybody has a DS-77xx type NVR with this motherboard in - part DS-80243 - I'd like to see either a detailled photo of the capacitor in question or a full reading of the values stated on the case (voltage and microfarads in uf) so that I can fish through my drawers of bits and put one in.

Attachments

yorkie

n3wb
Reaction score
Yesterday I put in a replacement capacitor, at the same value as all the ones around it (bit of a guesstimate there, but worth a crack) - and I also noticed that the connection for the capacitor also included a link through from the topside of the motherboard to the underside and yet part of the underside track had been damaged so there was no through connection. I have repaired this, but the NVR still does the reboot loop.

I have just put that in and this came back as the environment variables
Code:
HKVS # printenv
bootcmd=tftp 0x42000000 $(bootfile);bootm 0x42000000;
default=y2mount /nand;y2rdm /nand/uImage 0x42000000;
sec=tftp 0x42000000 Ky2015-1-H3536-uImage_sec;bootm 0x42000000;
bootdelay=1
baudrate=115200
mdio_intf=rgmii
ipaddr=192.0.0.64
serverip=192.0.0.128
gatewayip=192.0.0.1
netmask=255.255.255.0
bootfile=uImage
passwd=NjWtmHfpBlVxmCJLqJf+LZIeHls2zCwOMLqOGO9TVGE=
phyaddr1=7
bootargs=mem=384M console=ttyS0,115200n8 auth=1
ethaddr=28:57:be:89:41:b4
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
verify=y
ver=U-Boot 2010.06-svn (Jun 26 2015 - 15:08:07)

Environment size: 547/4092 bytes
The various commands from the 'help' menu are as follows:---
? - alias for 'help'
base - print or set address offset
bootm - boot application image from memory
bootp - boot image via network using BOOTP/TFTP protocol
bubt - Burn an boot image on the Boot Flash.
cmp - memory compare
cpld - write cpld info to encrypt media
crc32 - checksum calculation
ddr - ddr training function
dramtest- simple RAM read/write test
erase_env- erase envirement info on flash
getinfo - print hardware information
help - print command description/usage
i2c_read- i2c read commands
i2c_write- i2c write commands
md - memory display
mii - MII utility commands
mm - memory modify (auto-incrementing address)
mread - simple RAM read/write test
mtestall- RAM read/write test
mw - memory write (fill)
mwrite - simple RAM read/write test
pcpld - print cpld info
ping - send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST to network host
printenv- print environment variables
rarpboot- boot image via network using RARP/TFTP protocol
reset - Perform RESET of the CPU
run - run commands in an environment variable
saveenv - save environment variables to persistent storage
setenv - set environment variables
sp - Usage: spi nor flash protection cmd
tftp - tftp - download or upload image via network using TFTP protocol
update - Update the digicap of the device.
version - print monitor version
y2ls - yaffs2 ls
y2mount - mount yaffs2
y2rdm - read file to memory from yaffs2
y2umount- unmount yaffs2

Actually - I have a recollection that there may be another hidden command at the update menu - maybe e for erase or f for format. I think I once went through the alphabet there.
But if there is - be very careful to only erase the configuration.
I think - but not 100% sure - that 'e' by itself gives a hint for the needed parameters to select the configuration partition for the erase operation.
It turns out that 'e' and 'erase_env' are basically the same thing.
I have performed the erase, the readout states "Erasing envirement variables... done" which seemed pretty quick (the typo of 'environment' instills confidence in the product!). Presumably now it'll either not boot at all or will force a boot from that firmware update done previously - unless that now has to be repeated.

(at the moment I put in 'mread' so it's going through a memory test, which may take a while)