Unresponsive Hikvision DS-7732NI-I4/16P, I could really use some guidance, thanks

k1lbg

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, newbie here. Great computer skills, but not so much on Hikvision NVRs. (I own one for my house as well) Anyway, our security company came in to the business to do an update to get Hik-connect(?) running, and now the system does not take any inputs. They said it is bricked and cannot be recovered. The local screen shows the cameras live. Cannot connect via ethernet. The buttons on the front do nothing but beep once every time they are pressed. All the buttons are lit. If I press the right mouse button twice, the screen blinks and returns to live view. Clicking once does nothing apparently. Would really love to retain whatever is recorded, but I would really like to get this working again. Read some posts on password resets, etc. and the closest I see is to use ftp or tftp to download firmware via serial port. Symptoms were different than what I have, so not sure just which way to go. Any advice is appreciated before I stumble around trying solutions that can make matters worse.

Reaction score
Sounds like a loose cable somewhere inside the NVR, to be honest. Remove the cover, take a pic, post it here with the Hikvision model number.

k1lbg

n3wb
Reaction score
Update, when I moved the unit to the workbench, I used the HDMI port for the display. If I use the VGA port, I can get the login screen, (Welcome, then the Username and password fields, a place to click Forgot Password, and finally the login button. However, the username list has about 20 usernames (if you can call them that) but they are garbage. As best as I can replicate one here, it is: wn^n^^nv^C^nv^C....1235789, and the n and c are more like a stool and a backward c. So, I guess if I can reset usernames and passwords I'll be better off. Model number on box is
DS-7732NI-I4/16P and the motherboard is DS-80243 rev 1.1. Sorry for the misdirection in my original post. Sounds like it may be simpler now.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
However, the username list has about 20 usernames (if you can call them that) but they are garbage. As best as I can replicate one here, it is: wn^n^^nv^C^nv^C....1235789, and the n and c are more like a stool and a backward c.
This has been quite a common problem (presumably a corrupted configuration database) when doing a firmware update to the 'NVR 4.x' firmware.

On the assumption that the NVR is still found by SADP, you may be able to do the forgot password 'export password reset request file' and get your security company to obtain the resultant reset code from Hikvision tech support.

k1lbg

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance. I guess I'll have to find another dealer as we are no longer using this dealer for the NVR. They bricked it and told us we had to buy another. They did not assume responsibility for the damage. They also never told us it was recoverable. I had to read it here.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to find another dealer as we are no longer using this dealer for the NVR.
In which case, try Hikvision technical support directly. It's not guaranteed they will respond, but you may be lucky, if the NVR was purchased through their distribution channels.

k1lbg

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I could really use some help now... I have spent the day (on and off) with Hikvision support, starting with the Password Reset request through the web page. That did not work so I was asked to call in directly. Everybody was friendly and tried to be helpful, but in the end, there was nothing tech support could do. I've asked for an RMA form, but it is out of warranty, so it may cost too much to repair (less than 3 years old). This is where I am now: SADP shows it, and everything on the page looks good. It even said success when I did the password reset. However, rebooting the NVR brings me to a Language screen, then login for admin. Well, the pattern does not work and once you go to switch user or forgot pattern, the username list is corrupt. Right click brings up menu items in the lower right corner, and a serial cable shows the system unpacking the image and booting. What next? Any hope on recovery? Thanks
20201116_123409[1].jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
a serial cable shows the system unpacking the image and booting
In which case you should be able to get to the bootloader-initiated update procedure to apply firmware without the need to offer credentials.
This normally resets a device to default settings, it should wipe the configuration.

What firmware version does SADP show?
Best to use the same firmware as is already installed.
Here is a selection for the I-series NVRs :

You need to quickly interrupt the bootloader on power-on, probably with Control-U (or maybe Control-C).
There should be a prompt to that effect.

Then there should be an apparently captive menu to initiate a firmware update.
The prompts are reasonably obvious.
You'll need a tftp server running on your PC, this should work OK :
And the unzipped digicap.dav file.

The PuTTY program works well for serial comms, and makes it easy to copy the text of the screen rollback here for inspection.

Good luck!

k1lbg

n3wb
Reaction score
Software version is 4.21.005 build 190509. However, I don't know if that was totally successfully updated when the tech bricked it during update. At this point I guess it won't hurt to try to put that version back on. I have downloaded that version and one prior and one after to my PC. I also downloaded a couple of tftp servers. I guess this will be tomorrow's project. I'll let you know how it goes. thanks

k1lbg

n3wb
Reaction score
O.K. set up serial port and set up tftp from Hik... I found two different versions. It fails after 31 MB of download. I am going to open a new post that deals with the tftp issue. Thanks for getting me this far, all...