DSS Express Replace the SmartPss

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It may well be a fine tool, but first blush its not for the casual home user. Maybe I bailed to early, lets see what others with more patience and experience with VMS have to say

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
It may well be a fine tool, but first blush its not for the casual home user. Maybe I bailed to early, lets see what others with more patience and experience with VMS have to say
I think Dahua want to discontinue Smart PSS so they can use a subscription model on DSS.
It also would mean home users only have the options of DMSS (mobile) or the NVRs local/web interface.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, just about every other camera vendor has a subscription service, so they are losing out by not having something similar.

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Whats the Smart PSS lite Andy or somebody mentioned about a month or so ago?
I d-loaded that...and tried it....
New versions of SmartPSS and SmartPSS Lite have also appeared on the Dahua official website and you can download them from these links:

Smart PSS:

SmartPSS Lite:

Although honestly SmartPSS seems to me much more reliable and better than the Lite version... ;)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If it weren't for smartPss I would have probably jumped to BI long ago. I wouldn't be surprised if a "lite" version would do everything I need, but I also can't see any reason to switch from what I have, with three exceptions:
1) Event trigger snapshots as done in BI.
2) Better stability (although I just switched to a different version a week ago that could possibly fix this).
3) A linux version.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
A shame the pdf does not mention DSS free works on Linux (I use Windows and Linux computers).

Will SmartPSS get an update or a warning appear in the future to say it is being discounted?
Right now have the smartpss lite. I will report this to dahua.

Tophername

n3wb
Reaction score
Last thing I need is a subscription as a service. Back to looking through the software forms.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does SmartPSS display version info somewhere? Can't find it within the software.

Version Info is under user icon.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I tried to run SmartPSS lite. Didn't start. Perhaps my PC is too old.

Can I just install the new SmartPSS update over my old install?

Has anyone tried the new version of SmartPSS yet?