Dual streams sanity check

gurpal2000

n3wb
Reaction score
I have something nearly working, but not quite...

3 cams. Requirement:
  • record main streams 24x7, no exceptions, irrespective of motion (ie. record hi-res all the time)
  • perform motion detection on the sub-stream (as this should be lighter-weight)
  • if motion detected, record the main stream for sure (ie. the preview should be a hi-res recording minimally)

I have defined 6 cams all separately. 3 are "main" and have no substreams defined on purpose. These satisfy the 24x7 hi-res requirement.
The other 3 are for motion detection and only have sub-stream defined on purpose. I have "record dual streams if available".

I seem to only have low-res recording for motion previews. What do I need to check/adjust?

We can talk about AI afterwards once the above is clarified.

Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have something nearly working, but not quite...

3 cams. Requirement:
  • record main streams 24x7, no exceptions, irrespective of motion (ie. record hi-res all the time)
  • perform motion detection on the sub-stream (as this should be lighter-weight)
  • if motion detected, record the main stream for sure (ie. the preview should be a hi-res recording minimally)

I have defined 6 cams all separately. 3 are "main" and have no substreams defined on purpose. These satisfy the 24x7 hi-res requirement.
The other 3 are for motion detection and only have sub-stream defined on purpose. I have "record dual streams if available".

I seem to only have low-res recording for motion previews. What do I need to check/adjust?

We can talk about AI afterwards once the above is clarified.

Thank you
You are doing this incorrectly. Setup one camera in BI for each physical camera. Use both main and substreams in the video setup . Set recording to continuous. When you setup ai uncheck use main stream and it will use the sub for ai. Regular motion detection in BI will use the substream when you setup dual streams.

gurpal2000

n3wb
Reaction score
You are doing this incorrectly. Setup one camera in BI for each physical camera. Use both main and substreams in the video setup . Set recording to continuous. When you setup ai uncheck use main stream and it will use the sub for ai. Regular motion detection in BI will use the substream when you setup dual streams.
Got it. Thanks. I remember why i had this setup. The jpg images on alert taken by the lower res are naturally smaller (30kb or so versus 120kb). These are sent to my telegram account. When i'm on the go, it can take "long" for the images to appear. I can extend my telegram script to further re-encode the alert jpg to a lower res - unless there's a much simpler way built in?

( script simply uses built-in parameters eg. "d:\pushToTelegram.ps1 &CAM &ALERT_PATH" )

thanks