Duel network

oxo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi..Iam new to all this ip camara stuff, but have most of my system setup and running except i would like to seperate my network something like this if its at all possible or do i need to physical connections (2 ip addresses) any help wouldbe greatfully recieved.
duel network.jpg

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I have mine like that. There may be a better way but it works good for me. My AT&T internet goes down sometimes and the cameras would stop working while it was down so I added a second router, put it in bridge mode and the cameras keep working now when the AT&T router reboots.

oxo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi gwminor48
Iam assuming you have one wired and one wireless. iam trying to avoid this if i can!
my setup is currently all wired and on one network, i would like to have two seperate networks like the diagram if thats possible.
main pc and laptops on say 192.168.0.whatever
camera pc setup on say 192.168.1.whatever

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine are both wired although I have 1 cam out of the 7 working wireless (an old Foscam in the garage).

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi..Iam new to all this ip camara stuff, but have most of my system setup and running except i would like to seperate my network something like this if its at all possible or do i need to physical connections (2 ip addresses) any help wouldbe greatfully recieved.
View attachment 19785
Chances are you have to pay for two different Ip address with two modems.

oxo

n3wb
Reaction score
I been reading up about vlans and also think its the way togo, so i ask is there any standard setup\requirements people use for the vlans running BI!
Thanks for any help

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not really. The purpose is to isolate the cameras from the internet. That's about it. You can also accomplish this with two nics in the BI machine and physical separated lans.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got all excited when i clicked this link. I was thinking finally, a place where I can demand satisfaction. Pistols at dawn! Duelling sabres! Awesome! But alas, another networking thread.

I have all of my camera's in their own VLAN. Their entire IP range is quarantined from the net. Failing that, some consumer based gear lets you limit internet access by mac address. Just add all your cams to the black list.