DVR 7616HI-ST - Admin password

Reaction score
Morning everyone - I am brand new to the CCTV world and reaching out to this forum out of frustration.

I bought a second hand DVR 7616HI-ST and 6 new DS-2CD2022WD-I camera, cable, network switch.

During my "struggle" to activate the ip cameras, I started to experience password issues.

I then decided to reset all passwords but unfortunately I did not select the factory reset (it was the one above the factory reset option.)

After I reset the passwords, I noticed the Admin password is not 12345 anymore resulted in I cannot access the menu anymore.

I googled for options and found that I can send my serial number (1620150604BBRR522050821WCVU) to Hikvision technical support and then they will send me a secure code. I did this but is still awaiting any response.

Do anyone of you guys have access the a secure code generator to generate a code for me?

Is there an option to "hard reset" the DVR 7616HI-ST - by removing the backup battery, restart DVR 7616HI-ST, and put the battery back - in other words to reset the cmos info manually.

I appreciate your responses.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that specific DVR - but for other Hikvision devices, especially cameras, the default passwords vary with the firmware version, going from
12345 to 123456789abc then requiring 'Activation', in other words the device will not respond normally until you submit your own strong password.
It may be worth checking what the SADP tool says of the DVR status : Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that specific DVR - but for other Hikvision devices, especially cameras, the default passwords vary with the firmware version, going from
12345 to 123456789abc then requiring 'Activation', in other words the device will not respond normally until you submit your own strong password.
It may be worth checking what the SADP tool says of the DVR status : Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
Thanks for your response - remember I cannot get into the DVR with the normal 12345 Admin password. I need to reset the Admin password.

Reaction score
You can still use the SADP tool and get the status of the NVR and report back the results.
Ok I linked up the DVR to my internal network - I exported the current status and I used the"forget password" link to create the .xml file. I tried the 12345 password but did not work. I also tried a couple of others.

Attached is the .xml and the .xls files which reflects the current status, firmware etc.

I see it is sitting i=on firmware V3.0.13build 150507. I assume there are newer firmware available - can I upgrade directly to the latest or must load all the other releases?

I am planning to do it after I have resolved the somewhat frustrating Admin password issue.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am planning to do it after I have resolved the somewhat frustrating Admin password issue.
A possibility to clear the configuration, and set the admin password back to the default value, would be to try the Hikvision tftp firmware updater.
The uncertainty would be if the NVR is still equipped to use that update process.
There is a selection of firmware for your model here, including what's currently installed :
HIKVISION EUROPE
The classic tftp updater process is straightforward -
With the PC IP address set to 192.0.0.128, run the Hikvision-specific tftp updater, allow tftpserve.exe full access inbound through the Windows firewall (pop-up dialogue box), have the digicap.mav file in the same folder as the tftpserve.exe program, and power on the NVR.
The process should be automatic - if that specific NVR supports it. If it works - the configuration should be reset back to defaults.
Easy to try, though.
A copy of the tftp updater can be found within the link here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English