Esso Oil

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A
1 x DS-2CD2042WD-I (Mini Bullet)
1 x DS-2CD2142FWD-I (Dome)
1 x Chinese PIR style spy-cam

Thanks for reading this post. I have a question about Dynamic Analysis for Motion on Hikvision NVR's. I originally thought that Dynamic analysis for motion is what puts the green event markers on the blue video timeline whenever motion is detected. This is also known as the "smart" option in playback which is essential for quickly reviewing events and incidents. Anyone with a Hikvision knows how useful the green event markers are on the timeline.

The green event markers are being shown when motion is detected on both of my Hikvision cameras. In playback I can select the "smart" option so the needle jumps to where motion was detected thus skipping over the static parts.

As an experiment I've just bought a cheap Chinese spy-cam in a PIR alarm-style housing. Don't laugh - it's surprisingly good for £18!! It's 1080p and uses the ONVIF protocol. The image is clear although it's prone to the occasional bout of heavy jittering on the bottom half of the image when it detects movement. It connected to my NVR straight away. It has movement detection and the yellow event triangle appears on the Live View screen when I move in front of it.

However, no green markers are shown on the blue timeline to indicate movement. The timeline for my PIR spy-cam is a continuous blue line no matter how much I dance in front of the camera. This means I need to manually scroll through an entire days recording to look at motion events which ideally should all have a green tag beside them.

During my research I read a post where someone else thought Dynamic analysis was to do with the green markers that track movement but they said even with Dynamic analysis off they still have green markers on their timeline. They said Dynamic analysis is what makes the red squares turn green when you view the image in motion detection mode (the screen with all the small boxes on).

Is this because my £18 spy-cam does not have Dynamic Analysis for Motion? (even though it has motion detection which does work?)
Is the Dynamic Analysis for Motion feature camera specific?

How can I get the green movement detection markers on my timeline for my cheap Chinese import? Is there a way to get the green movement bars working with any camera that can detect movement (lets face it, motion detection is available on most cameras - even the cheap ones).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Esso

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this because my £18 spy-cam does not have Dynamic Analysis for Motion? (even though it has motion detection which does work?)
Is the Dynamic Analysis for Motion feature camera specific?
It's more likely that the camera does not generate 'ONVIF event notifications' which if they are motion events for example can be used to trigger recording actions.
This is not the same as the normal motion detection of the camera.
To check if the camera does support ONVIF event notifications, you can query it with the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
Give ODM some valid logon credentials (top left of the window) and it will find ONVIF devices on the same LAN segment automatically.
Any event generated will appear on the 'Events' page.
The available dynamic analysis rules if any will be shown on the Rules page.

*edit*
As a comparison, you will be able to see ONVIF events from the Hikvision cameras - their ONVIF implementation does support this.
However - the PC that ODM is running on does have to have an IP address in the same range as that the cameras are on.
For cameras on the NVR PoE ports, using the default Hikvision range of 192.168.254.x the PC should be set to something such as 192.168.254.100 for example.

Esso Oil

n3wb
Reaction score
It's more likely that the camera does not generate 'ONVIF event notifications' which if they are motion events for example can be used to trigger recording actions.
This is not the same as the normal motion detection of the camera.
To check if the camera does support ONVIF event notifications, you can query it with the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
Give ODM some valid logon credentials (top left of the window) and it will find ONVIF devices on the same LAN segment automatically.
Any event generated will appear on the 'Events' page.
The available dynamic analysis rules if any will be shown on the Rules page.

*edit*
As a comparison, you will be able to see ONVIF events from the Hikvision cameras - their ONVIF implementation does support this.
However - the PC that ODM is running on does have to have an IP address in the same range as that the cameras are on.
For cameras on the NVR PoE ports, using the default Hikvision range of 192.168.254.x the PC should be set to something such as 192.168.254.100 for example.
-----------------------------------

First of all Thanks for recommending the 'ONVIF Device Manager' software. I've just installed it and have entered the login details for my 3 cams. The software instantly found all three cams and is showing loads of info. I'm about to start investigating the differences between the Hikvision Cameras and my Chinese PIR spy-cam.

I'm very familiar with the ICT / technical side of this as I've been on the ICT contracting / networking scene for many years. I'm using some of these skills to venture into the surveillance marketplace as I find it a doddle to do the installations and configure all of the IP addresses and utilise the benefits of POE etc. Its the protocols and industry specific jargon I'm only just getting used to (as you can tell from the above post).

It actually wasn't the low'ish cost of the PIR-style camera that attracted me (see POE HD 1080P PIR Covert Hidden IP/Network Surveillance Spy Camera 3.7mm ONVIF2.0 | eBay) rather the fact that I couldn't find any reputable branded cameras that would be covert enough for this particular application. I would happily spend £100 on another Hikvision bullet camera and then remove the insides to build my own covert IP POE camera to get motion detection tags on my playback timeline but the components and lens in Hikvision cameras are too big.

I'm off to play with the ONVIF Device Manager software. I'll report my findings soon....

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Esso Oil

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I've looked at my cameras with the ONVIF Device Manager. My Hikvision cams are using ONVIF v2.4. My spy cam uses ONVIF v2.04. Don't think that's the problem though.

The ONVIF Device Manager showed the spy-cam Event log was being updated every 2 seconds so I went into the web interface and into the Motion Detection menu and changed the "Interval" to 5 seconds. When I went back into the ONVIF Device Manager the event log was being updated every five seconds as shown below.

Arrival Time Topic Operation Source Key Data
11:59:50 tns1:RuleEngine/ Changed VideoSourceCon ---- IsMotion:false
11:59:55 tns1:RuleEngine/ Changed VideoSourceCon ---- IsMotion:false
12:00:00 tns1:RuleEngine/ Changed VideoSourceCon ---- IsMotion:true
12:00:05 tns1:RuleEngine/ Changed VideoSourceCon ---- IsMotion:true

I waved at the camera at precisely 12 noon and the event changed from IsMotion:false to IsMotion:true. Each time I move my hand in front of the spy-cam the log updates with IsMotion:true.

Next I ran the utility software that came with the spy-cam and went into the motion detection menu. There was a check box that said "Write Log" and "Play sound" upon detection. I selected the "Write Log" box and linked the "Play sound" to a .wav of an old telephone. Each time I move my hand in front of the spy-cam the event log pops up and a bell rings. There is also a "Record Channel 1" option but I've always had that selected and there's still no green motion bars on my timeline.

So, the motion detection is working to an extent, but the spy-cam obviously isn't sending the necessary signal to my Hikvision NVR. This might be a long shot, but I might email the Chinese manufacturer to see if they have a solution (unless anyone on here has any suggestions : -).

Any feedback much appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From what you've shown, I'd expect the NVR to be able to trigger a recording action from that motion event notification, the ONVIF events look OK to me.
I wonder if there is some NVR firmware version dependency in play?
I have a couple of 7816N-E2 NVRs with firmware 3.4.91 that record on motion OK with ONVIF connections from non-Hikvision cameras.

*edit*
The ONVIF Device Manager showed the spy-cam Event log
Just a thought - is this the 'Events' page in ODM, or the 'System log' in ODM?
The notification has to happen in the Events page to be effective.
It doesn't really matter what's in the camera log - what matters is that the NVR receives an ONVIF event notification from it's event subscription.