E-mail or FTP from Camera through Hikvision NVR PoE port?

Barry P

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to E-mail or FTP (to a NAS Drive on my network, or FTP site outside my network, either will do) from Camera through Hikvision NVR PoE port?

Due to the ONVIF Motion Detection not working between the camera and the NVR (see link) I wanted to use this as a workaround.

Hikvision NVR and Motion Detection on IP Camera

I don't really want to have to run power to the camera to use it as a standard IP camera that definitely support FTP and E-mail, unless I have to, but not sure if the NVR effectively acts as a firewall?

Barry

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, this is possible, quite a few threads on the topic.

Here is what is required:
Virtual Host to be active on the Hikvision NVR. This implicitly enables the NVR Linux kernel 'IP_forward' (not to be confused with port forwarding) facility to forward packets between the NVR LAN and PoE interfaces.
The camera default gateway needs to be set to the NVR PoE interface IP address, usually 192.168.254.1 By default, the NVR sets this to the NVR LAN interface IP address, so you also need to set the NVR PoE channel to Manual instead of Plug&Play to stop it changing it back.
Your LAN gateway/router needs to have a static route defined so that the route to the PoE-connected cameras is known.
Something like 'For network 192.168.254.0/24 (ie subnet mask 255.255.255.0) route packets via the NVR LAN interface IP address'.

Barry P

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Alistair, sorry I didn't spot the other threads, could see lots on accessing the camera via the NVR, not so easy to see the other way.

Will try this tonight, although I have read that my Virgin Superhub might not support static routes, but will verify that for myself.

I am guessing that if it doesn't support static routing, I won't be able to FTP to the local NAS drive, as it's on a different subnet 192.168.0.xx, or is it just an issue I want to go onto the WAN to access a public FTP or e-mail?

Will try tonight anyway and see what happens

Barry

Barry P

n3wb
Reaction score
So it seems my Virgin Media Router does not support static routing.

But if I read other posts correct I might be able to use one of my old routers that does support static routing to solve this, but I cannot seem to get it to work.

This is what I have tried.

The old router WAN port is connected to the last PoE port on my NVR (Hikvision)
The old router LAN port is connected to a port on my local network.

I have set the old router WAN port IP to 192.168.254.5, the fixed IP of the last PoE port of the NVR (Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway: 192.168.254.1)

I have set the old router LAN port IP to 192.168.0.250, a spare IP on my local network (Subnet 255.255.255.0)

I try to set up the static route as:

Destination Network: 192.168.254.0
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.252 (the IP address of the NVR on my network)

But the router refuses saying "Destination Network Address cannot be inside the subnet of WAN IP address"

I am scratching my head as to why this is, seems my network knowledge might not be up to snuff or this approach is a non starter?

Are there any obvious mistakes in this setup?

Barry