Ebay purchase - Windows 10 Pro or 11 Pro operating system?

Eagle1961

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, longtime lurker finally taking the plunge. I am in the process of buying a Ebay computer for Blue Iris. How important is it to purchase a computer with Windows 11 Pro vs Windows 10 Pro? I was reviewing the WIKI hardware requirements and there wasn't any indication on operating system other than to use Windows 10 or 11. With the end of life of Windows 10 coming up in a couple of years, does that matter? The WIKI states that driver updates should be turned off, how about other Microsoft updates? Any guidance is appreciated!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, longtime lurker finally taking the plunge. I am in the process of buying a Ebay computer for Blue Iris. How important is it to purchase a computer with Windows 11 Pro vs Windows 10 Pro? I was reviewing the WIKI hardware requirements and there wasn't any indication on operating system other than to use Windows 10 or 11. With the end of life of Windows 10 coming up in a couple of years, does that matter? The WIKI states that driver updates should be turned off, how about other Microsoft updates? Any guidance is appreciated!
As long as the system is 8th gen or newer it will run Windows 11... If the system had a Windows license tied to it you will be able to install Windows 11 even if the prior license was Windows 10... 99% of the systems that say no OS have a Windows license tied to it and you won't be able to install with no issue..
Edit: will be able to install...

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As long as the system is 8th gen or newer it will run Windows 11... If the system had a Windows license tied to it you will be able to install Windows 11 even if the prior license was Windows 10... 99% of the systems that say no OS have a Windows license tied to it and you won't be able to install with no issue
I think @fenderman meant to say "99% of the systems that say no OS have a Windows license tied to it and you won't WiLL be able to install with no issue"

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I absolutely HATE Windows 11 with a passion but I know I'm gonna have get used to it and be proficient with it.

My biggest issues are with how it handles networking such as shared folders, network adapters, public/private, etc. It basically "handles" it like 10 but it just frickin' relocated all the pages so you have go on a #$% safari to find stuff. I know, it's me. I like leavin' crap alone that was OK where it was. IMO, it's like an ex-Apple engineer got a hold of it.

Maybe if I had gone from 7 directly to 11 without ever using 10 for a few years I'd be OK but that's not the case. :facepalm:

I remember bitchin' at Vista after 95/98/XP also. :lmao:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm even worse, I hate windows 10. I guess if you just use it to run BI you can pretend that it's not there, and consider your device to be a BI box. When PCs were new I was horrified that some people called them their visicalc box. I'm doing ok now between win7 and linux. I too bitched when XP when away but eventually admitted that 7 was better.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Regarding any type of system updates (for an existing version), by all means schedule them and invoke the process manually so you know what's happening when. I schedule mine for every 30 days which is five days before Windows will do it automatically from the date of the last scheduled one if you're not paying attention -- occasionally with less than desirable consequences if you miss it and don't shut down BI (and perhaps other services) beforehand. And IMHO, drivers are pretty important to stay on top of -- and usually easy enough to roll back if unintended consequences occur with an update. Not going to be many more for Win10 on most platforms anyway. Personally, I'm staying away from 11 as long as I possibly can.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've purchased 7 used ebay computers and have great luck with all of them. I'm pretty picky about which I choose. From the listing verbiage and pictures I think you can get a pretty god sense if you're looking at something good, or junk. Not foolproof, but so far, so good.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Research your sellers feedback scores and comments. People get ahold of " off-lease" Dells by the Pallet load, and may take 40 Pc's and make 30-35 good ones out of them, and sell the rest as parts etc. Some people are better and more conscientious than others.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If you really don't want refurb, then your other alternative is to build one using quality parts throughout. It will cost you a lot more though, but will be better than those mini pc's (and dare I say it even the Dells, but you're paying for it).

In the EU that might be a better choice as there's not the through put of nearly new pc's you get in the US. In the US, you should be able to pick up a nearly new Dell just fine as per Fenderman. The difference between EU and US is in the EU or UK at least, businesses don't get the bulk buy deals they do in the US where they buy more manchines than they want because it's cheaper than buying what they want, so you don't get sales of new surpless machines. Also, in the UK, businesses are tight and most will run machines into the ground, fixing them along the way until they can't be useful anymore before changing them. Believe me I've worked at big firms where you can make a cup of tea whilst your pc boots and still come back and find it only just starting. The result is in the UK there's not much supply of nearly new and used could be worn out even if "refurbed". Refurbed are also more expensive over here.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I built a PC it cost £550. Not sure what that is in dollars, more but probably the dollar price tag would be the same because parts are cheaper over there. The PC has no graphics card - it did have but I sold it so the price takes that into acccount. I got genuine windows 10 for free. Specs are: i5-10,400, 16GB Memory, SSD and 4tb WD Blue Security Drive. All components are quality throughout from MB to PSU to fans. If i have any regret, it's not putting an i7 in there. I hate i5's and i3's. Never seem to perform to my expectations.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have built many computers and I have bought many used computers off Ebay. (At least a dozen of each over the years). I haven't had any real problems with either solution. I build when I have a specific use case that requires new or unique hardware. I buy used for everything else. In fact, all of my current desktop style computers being used at my house were bought used and all were in the $150-299 price range. However they are also pretty much stock "business" class computers. I don't think I would buy a used customized "gaming" system for example. There are far too many chances that people building custom machines (especially powerful gaming systems) buy hardware that isn't fully compatible with everything else and then they have issues. I wouldn't trust a custom rig unless I built it (and only have myself to blame if something goes wrong).

The only thing I do with used computers is open them up and clean out the dust, and replace the storage drive(s) in them. I do buy new storage drives because I don't want to rely on a used, unknown drives. I've had hard drives fail on me, but I don't recall ever having a more serious hardware failure than that. This goes for computers I've built and bought used.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
IPCTs' own wiki article ( ) points out that you need a CPU Mark score of at least 10k going forward. That implies a MINIMUM of an 8th gen core(Although that can be achieved with an overclocked 6th gen easily).
Hi. I wrote 99% of that article. You misunderstood what was being said. 10k minimum is what I recommended for systems where you will not be following recommendations to use sub streams to reduce the load. There are reasons why someone might want to not utilize sub streams, so I was merely trying to explain how a person could estimate the CPU power required for a heavier load.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
WTF? My 'like' from looney2ns disappeared! LOL
Well... do you have any history of taking security camera footage off a computer screen with your phone and posted here? :p

Most likely case is looney2ns forgot he already clicked like before and click it one more time and accidentally removed it.