Edgecore 4210 not providing POE to Ali /af compatible board

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't fully dived into this yet.
I have a couple of POE switches, including one that is only 10/100. The Edgecore above can do gig POE, and so can a netgear Prosafe. The prosafe sends POE just fine- I've measured 48v and 12v reliably. However the edgecore doesn't;I have NOT been able to probe the individual traces.

Everything is advertised as /af compatible and, so far as I can tell, all of my dahua and hikvision cameras work fine with either of the two switches.

I've checked that poe is enabled for the ports in question, and I've also tried 'downgrading' them to 10/100 (camera is only 100 anyway) in the GUI to force, but no dice.

Is there something I'm (obvious) missing?

Board is a generic one of these Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
POE cable is designed for mid/edge span. I checked the individual wires in case there was an issue on the cable, but it aligns with the spec.

I do have a 'dumb' 24V injector for some tplink gear but I haven't felt brave enough to try it- mostly because I don't want to blow up this LPR camera I've been building now that I'm so close to getting it finished.

Suggestions?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea?
Did you connect up the "'spare pairs' pins 4,5 and 7,8" pins on the PoE board to the corresponding wires on the ethernet cable?
In my experience, most of the ethernet cables you can buy are wired for 'power over data pairs' and lack the wires for 4,5 and 7,8
I've had to specially search for 11-pin cables to have the 'power over spare pairs' capability.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you connect up the "'spare pairs' pins 4,5 and 7,8" pins on the PoE board to the corresponding wires on the ethernet cable?
In my experience, most of the ethernet cables you can buy are wired for 'power over data pairs' and lack the wires for 4,5 and 7,8
I've had to specially search for 11-pin cables to have the 'power over spare pairs' capability.
Wait, so wire it like a mid-span as well as end-span? Hrmmm. There are/is an extra pair on there but I don't know if I ohmed out them with the others.

Oddly I tested it with another Cisco 10/100 POE switch and it worked fine. So it is only not working with the 10/100/1000 edgecore. Which means there might not be 54V on the data lines and instead the system is doing something different.

The D-link 10/100/1000 POE switch works fine, the Cisco/linksys 10/100 works fine, but the edgecore 10/100/1000 does not.

Grumble.

Any really good guides on watching how the poe is supposed to negotiate power settings to see if I can figure out what's not happening ? Isn't the spec saying the device tells the switch to step the power up?

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sheesh. I hadn't thought of that. I don't even know how to test it as to what's safe. Grumble.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright, thank you Amazon for 1 day shipping.
I just took receipt of a POE tester. Without having calibrated it (because, you know, expediency) I plugged in the offensive switch. Interestingly enough it is -53.7V, whereas my other two POE switches are -48V. Both are midspan, and both show the same POE pairs on data lines.

So now I'm starting to think the chipset is perhaps... non-legit- and is tripping out at over 50V. I don't know how to test that yet, but it's a pattern. I'm going to plug in some of my good POE gear that works with that switch and see if the voltage stays at 54V or if it drops to something else.