Eliminating video anomalies...

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I only seem to have two more items I am trying to resolve. This one is when video captured by Blue Iris will have "traces" of the picture, that actually blur the image over a period of time in the playback of the video. I can't seem to find rhyme nor reason for this. It doesn't always happen with movement within the camera (such as a car driving past) or my dog in the back yard walking through the frame, but it does keep happening.

Not sure if this is a regular occurrence for others or not.

Are there any "normal" items to work on that I can look into to find the cause? I am thinking of a list such as:
1. The camera frame rate matching the Blue Iris frame rate.
2. Network congestion
3. Disk write congestion (I have Blue Iris configured with all cameras writing directly to disk)

Anyone else experience this issue? Any list of items and configurations to research on my configuration?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This happens sometimes when using direct to disc recording. Here are some things to try.
1) In the camera-match i-frames to fps
2) In blue iris, increase the frame rate in the video tab to the next step above your actual camera frame rate - if your camera is sending 15, set it to 20 (uncheck adjust automatically).
3) In blue iris increase the receive buffer to 10mb...video tab>configure
Let us know how that works.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2) In blue iris, increase the frame rate in the video tab to the next step above your actual camera frame rate - if your camera is sending 15, set it to 20 (uncheck adjust automatically).
I totally get keeping your CPU utilization lower than 80%, matching I-frames to fps and increasing BI receive buffer. But, I'm curious, how does increasing the frame rate in Blue Iris so it is expecting more frame than receiving fix video ghosting or other anomalies?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I totally get keeping your CPU utilization lower than 80%, matching I-frames to fps and increasing BI receive buffer. But, I'm curious, how does increasing the frame rate in Blue Iris so it is expecting more frame than receiving fix video ghosting or other anomalies?
It prevents dropped frames...this is what Ken replied to a user with this issue..
"Easy fix ... this results from setting the FPS too low. With D2D, you need to set the FPS >= what is actually being received ... you cannot "drop" any frames otherwise there will be incomplete frames in the recording but not live.

Ken"
See this thread over at cam-it http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=8750.15

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman! That is what I needed! I'll report back on the results.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This happens sometimes when using direct to disc recording. Here are some things to try.
1) In the camera-match i-frames to fps
3) In blue iris increase the receive buffer to 10mb...video tab>configure
Let us know how that works.
Thanks fenderman for this reply! I am now able to run my cams at 8 fps and no ghosting appears! Awesome!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a caveat to setting your framerate 5fps higher than you normally get and with auto adjust off.

You can get BI yellow warnings when your camera switches to night mode if it has a significant lower fps than when in day mode. For example my logitech 700e cameras have a 15 fps in day and 5fps at night, setting BI to 20fps with auto adjust turned off will give me BI warnings when the camera switches to night mode. The funny thing is that you'd think the auto adjust feature would be the perfect solution for this, however it is not (feature needs more work), I set the cameras to 15fps with auto adjust off and the BI warnings disapear (plus I have no dropped frames or anomalies - go figure).

It is a good idea for the reasons mentioned above if you fall into the anomally category, however, it is not something that is always good (mostly though).

To be sure the BI warnings could be ignored easily enough (I don't use the email me on warning feature of BI), they just bug me (I'm anal that way). :cool: