Email alerts not working when Hikvision cameras connected to DS-7608NI-E2/8P

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
AHA FINALLY so I have to double check what this setting does BUT a friend of mine is a networks guy and told me that 2 subnets can only talk on a 255.255.0.0 mask. SO i set on my router a section to 255.255.0.0 for subnet and i still have the right ip address but now the routing is going to 255.255 and it is magically working. i need to poke around more with exactly what i did but great success.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@okosub Could you please describe in more detail what you have done in the router for the subnets at 255.255.0.0?

Last edited by a moderator:

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@aster1x, i'm not really sure what i did as i'm not a network guy BUT maybe someone here can help explain. here is the walk through

my network is on a verizon so i have the actiontec mi424 router.
local network is 192.168.1.1, 255.255.255.0

the nvr has ip 192.168.1.200, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1

it then internally seems like its using 192.168.254.1
SO
my cameras are 192.168.254.2, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1 (this piece for gateway sounds like its wrong since the cameras need to talk to the nvr not my network so that should be updated to 192.168.254.1)

THEN i have the latest him 7608 firmware 3.3.4 and it has virtual host which sounds like from the above is doing the ip forwarding on/off. so turn that on.

so now you should be able to easily access your cameras using 192.168.254.2 OR 192.168.1.200:65001 where the 6500x and x is the camera number in my case 2,3,4,5,6.

this is all great but then you want to have the cameras independently access the internet to send emails and lookup ntp info. so after much playing around and with lots of suggestions on this thread here is what i just randomly came across (suggestion from a friend was to try putting both networks on a 255.255.0.0 subnet and here is what i seem to have done that works)

on my fios router went into the my network tab (icon), then on the left side i clicked on network connections which brought me to a screen with
Network (Home/Office)
Connected
Ethernet/Coax
Connected
Wireless Access Point
Connected
Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)
Connected
WAN PPPoE
you then click on the top most one and you get the next screen which has a button for settings, press the settings button and you get this
General
When should this rule occur?:Always
Network:Broadband ConnectionNetwork (Home/Office)DMZ
Connection Type:Bridge
Physical Address:00:7f:28:db:c9:5a
MTU:
AutomaticAutomatic by DHCPManual 1500
Internet ProtocolNo IP AddressObtain an IP Address AutomaticallyUse the Following IP Address
IP Address:...
Subnet Mask:...
so the subnet was 255.255.255.0 i changed it to 255.255.0.0 and then added a router of 192.168.254.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.200 metric 2 and saved. somehow it now lets my cameras talk to the outside (though the plugandplay feature on them still doesn't work so it doesnt auto set the port forwarding on my device but i think they may need to be physically connected for that to happen?)

if anyone has thoughts i'm open and welcome any comments on what this did and if there is a better way to do it.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So after speaking with Verizon and actiontec I had an aha moment which is the section I changed is the routers subnet thereby enabling it to talk to a wider range.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@okosub OK now I understand what you have done. You created a static route for all addresses in the range 192.168.254.0 (i.e. your cameras connected at your NVR PoE switch) to be routed to 192.168.1.200 which is your NVR LAN port (otherwise the router would route them to 192.168.1.1 and then to .... nowhere) and then the NVR internal bridge (through the Virual Host feature) would terminate the traffic to the cameras in the NVR PoE switch. This is the only way to allow access to the cameras with their native 192.168.254.XXX address.
This configuration has been suggested clearly by Alastair in the past and I have also confirmed that it is working.

Finaly the change of your subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 does not help in this manner. I suggest you set your nework sunet (not the static route subnet) to the original which should be 255.255.255.0. Try it and let us know if you have any problems.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yup I got this far after following the steps here. I did have the router subnet set to 255.255.255.0 and when it was the cameras had no access to the outside they were failing. The issue it seems is there is no easy way to turn off the dhcp of the nvr and there is no physical link between the lan and client ports on the nvr. Then I get stuck without upnp ability for cameras which would be nice. So I think I will be going back to having a loop back from the router to a client port but to avoid headache of manually settings ips for the cams I will just leave the sub open one level up with .0.0 which should accomplish everything I want. Any concerns with that type of setup?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The issue it seems is there is no easy way to turn off the dhcp of the nvr and there is no physical link between the lan and client ports on the nvr.
Since you already set up your NVR to have IP 192.168.1.200 then the DHCP of the NVR is off.
There is no need to have a physical connection between the NVR PoE ports and your internal LAN. All the routing i done by your router and the Virtual Host part of the NVR.
To verify if there is any detrimental behaviour with any configuration open a few command prompt windows and in each one issue the following commands to verify if the round trip delay changes.
ping -t 192.168.1.200 (to check the NVR lan port)
ping -t 192.168.1.1 (to check the LAN main router)
ping -t 192.168.254.1 (to check the NVR PoE switch gateway)
ping -t 192.168.254.XXX (where XXX is any camera IP to check the camera)

Have all pings running side by sided.

Then initiate any traffic like viewing the cameras in the camera web interface and in the NVR interface, create motion in the camera to create email alerts.

In the past I have observed that features like emails or NTP time or DDNS updates did not work sometimes but after a few camera or NVR reboots, they started functioning properly, very weird behaviour.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@aster1x ok thank you so here is the biggest question is there a need to do anything at all on the nvr or my network to make sure its working right?

do i need to set the default gateway on the nvr to 1.1 or 254.1 or to the lan ip of the nvr which is 1.200? do i need to setup a static route on my network with the nvr as the destination as alastair has already explained previously?

basically all i want to to be able to see the cameras and for the cameras to see the wan. a nice to have would be to have the upnp of the cameras to pass through port info to the router so i can also get to the cameras from outside but i think that would require physical link between the lan ports on the poe and the lan port on my router which then creates a somewhat loop of extra hops.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
also on this topic is a somewhat interesting question: if i do all these changes what if anything does that impact with regard to how the cameras interact with the NVR? will i potentially lose some of the nvr built in functionality since it will not be talking the way it thinks it should be?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@okosub Alastair has given you the correct instructions so far and I was under the impression that you have implemented them. In any case here are the ideal configuration settings for everything (once more!!)

Camera settings when connected to the NVR PoE switch:
Camera IP: 192.168.254.2 (in this way th DHCP request of th camera is OFF)
Camera gateway: 192.168.254.1
Camera subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

NVR settings
NVR LAN IP: 192.168.1.XXX where XXX= any number which IS NOT included in the DHCP pool of the main LAN router (important). In this way the DHCP of the NVR is OFF. (Do not confuse this with the DHCP server settings at the main router)
NVR gateway: 192.168.1.1 (i.e. the main LAN router)
NVR subnet: 255.255.255.0
NVR gateway for the cameras: 192.168.254.1 (This is usually the default setting)
NVR Virtual Host enabled. With this setting you can access the camera web interface from the LAN with the address 192.168.1.XXX:65001

With the above settings so far the cameras can see the Internet at the LAN port of the main LAN router and both camera and NVR can send emails.

In order to be able to access the camera web interface from the LAN with the camera native IP (192.168.254.2) you must setup a static route at the main LAN router with the following settings: Network: 192.168.254.0, subnet:255.255.255.0, gateway:192.168.1.XXX

In order to access the NVR web interfaces from the WAN side of the main LAN router then you must port forward the ports of the NVR to the 192.168.1.XXX address. With this setting you will also be able to access the camera web interface from the WAN with the IP 192.168.1.XXX:65001

I hope the above are clear enough.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@okosub Alastair has given you the correct instructions so far and I was under the impression that you have implemented them. In any case here are the ideal configuration settings for everything (once more!!)

Camera settings when connected to the NVR PoE switch:
Camera IP: 192.168.254.2 (in this way th DHCP request of th camera is OFF)
Camera gateway: 192.168.254.1
Camera subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

NVR settings
NVR LAN IP: 192.168.1.XXX where XXX= any number which IS NOT included in the DHCP pool of the main LAN router (important). In this way the DHCP of the NVR is OFF. (Do not confuse this with the DHCP server settings at the main router)
NVR gateway: 192.168.1.1 (i.e. the main LAN router)
NVR subnet: 255.255.255.0
NVR gateway for the cameras: 192.168.254.1 (This is usually the default setting)
NVR Virtual Host enabled. With this setting you can access the camera web interface from the LAN with the address 192.168.1.XXX:65001

With the above settings so far the cameras can see the Internet at the LAN port of the main LAN router and both camera and NVR can send emails.

In order to be able to access the camera web interface from the LAN with the camera native IP (192.168.254.2) you must setup a static route at the main LAN router with the following settings: Network: 192.168.254.0, subnet:255.255.255.0, gateway:192.168.1.XXX

In order to access the NVR web interfaces from the WAN side of the main LAN router then you must port forward the ports of the NVR to the 192.168.1.XXX address. With this setting you will also be able to access the camera web interface from the WAN with the IP 192.168.1.XXX:65001

I hope the above are clear enough.
Thanks again @aster1x, yes I have been able to get things to work BUT I had to expand the subnet which is not ideal, as soon as I put the subnet back to .0 it again stops working.

My settings again are
nvr 192.168.1.200 set as static on the router so the nvr picks this up itself at which point I turn off dhcp off on the nvr. The gateway and sub are as you describe and the dns is set for 8.8.8.8

cameras are 192.168.254.2,3,4,5,6 gateway 192.168.254.1 but then what is the dns if any?

Keeping the changes exactly as you described above still does not give the cameras access to the web. If this helps at all when connected to the nvr directly via hdmi there is the maintenance section under which in networks there is a tab for network delay and packet loss. It asks for a destination address and no matter what I enter it fails. So I'm wondering if there is an issue with the nor software/hardware or if as you had said previously I just have to keep rebooting the unit until it works?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@okosub For DNS in the cameras (or in anyoter device as a general recommendation) set either 192.168.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 or both (in my 2332 camera I have two DNS entries)
The maintenace section of the NVR interface is only informational. Set any public site IP or URL and the NVR will measure the delay and the packet loss to that public web site. It has nothing to do with the proper functioning of the NVR. If however you set a URL and the NVR reports that it can not reslve the URL, then you have a name resolution problem in your LAN in general.
Similarly if you can telnet in the camera or NVR and you give the command ping www.google.com and the device reports that it can not resolve the URL, then it means again that your router does not resolve (for some reason) and therefore you have DNS problems.
Try the above and report back.

P.S. Do not forget to thank the people that help you in any way. Thanks are paid back to you in the future by ... somebody!!!!

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@okosub For DNS in the cameras (or in anyoter device as a general recommendation) set either 192.168.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 or both (in my 2332 camera I have two DNS entries)
The maintenace section of the NVR interface is only informational. Set any public site IP or URL and the NVR will measure the delay and the packet loss to that public web site. It has nothing to do with the proper functioning of the NVR. If however you set a URL and the NVR reports that it can not reslve the URL, then you have a name resolution problem in your LAN in general.
Similarly if you can telnet in the camera or NVR and you give the command ping www.google.com and the device reports that it can not resolve the URL, then it means again that your router does not resolve (for some reason) and therefore you have DNS problems.
Try the above and report back.

P.S. Do not forget to thank the people that help you in any way. Thanks are paid back to you in the future by ... somebody!!!!
Yes i have actually just earlier today noticed the thanks feature and have happily began to use it as you guys have been most helpful. as far as dns all of my devices are working without issue, the NVR is able to get to ntp servers as well as smtp servers to send emails so I can't imagine there is an issue on the unit unless there is something specific you think can be tested?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you tried the telnet and the ping from the camera and the NVR as I described above?

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you tried the telnet and the ping from the camera and the NVR as I described above?
I have not yet but yesterday had a chance to try it a different way connected my laptop to a Poe port and with all routing in place I was able to get back to the router so I know routing is working but I couldn't get out to the web even if/when I set the DNS on the laptop manually. What I'm still baffled by is why when I expand the subnet to 255.255.0.0 does it work? And the answer I guess is that the 1.1 knows what DNS to use but those aren't passed back to the cameras? The nvr itself doesn't seem to have issue at least with sending emails and getting ntp not sure if this helps my case. Will try the telnet from nvr later tonight.

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
I've also DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P NVR,
Attatch to this NVR in POE :
1 DS-2CD2042WD-I
1 DS-2CD2342WD-I

NVR Settings,
Firmware Version V3.3.2 build 150522
Encoding Version V5.0 build 150507
NIC Type - Auto
DHCP - OFF
IPv4 Address - 192.168.0.103
IPv4 Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS Server - 8.8.8.8

Cameras works, but can't set the email alrets.

Regards.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Del Boy,
If I setup the Motion via the camera (but without email), then I setup the email via NVR, it will change the settings of the motion.

Regards.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Chaoscript

Issue 1) You can't get camera to send alerts unless you have done the hacks mentioned in this thread but you can get the NVR to send e-mails fine
Which camera models, firmware and region does this limitation refer to? Is this a bug? Does it concern chinese (hacked or not) firmwares OR european firmwares?
Please point me to the relevant thread in this forum that this problem is discussed and resolved.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Del Boy,
If I setup the Motion via the camera (but without email), then I setup the email via NVR, it will change the settings of the motion.

Regards.
It is possible to define separate email settings for the motion detection in the camera and in the NVR. In this case the camera will send an email with high resolution pics attached and the NVR will send a separate email with low resolution pics attached. The attached pics between the NVR and the camera email are not the same and with slight different times. Choose which email alert you wish to receive.