email alerts to attach image on DS-7108N-SN/P or get camera to communicate outside?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm able to set the NVR to send just basic email alerts but I'm not seeing anywhere to have it send attachments of images. However, on the camera itself provide this feature but since I have the NVR to set to auto configure the camera, it provide an NVR local IP address, therefore when I try to set the mail server on the camera itself it can't reach out. I'll be happy with just having the NVR send images if it does support this. Trying not to have to put the camera on a local IP.

Local Network is 192.168.1.x
NVR WAN IP is 192.168.1.102

NVR cam is 192.168.254.x

NVR itself is 192.168.254.1

So with that said, shouldn't 192.168.254.1 be the camera gateway? It doesn't work that way though... am I missing something?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: email alerts to attach image on DS-7108N-SN/P or get camera to communicate outsid

So with that said, shouldn't 192.168.254.1 be the camera gateway?
Yes, that's correct. But you'll probably need to have the PoE port configured as 'Manual' instead of 'Plug&Play' so the NVR doesn't change it back to be the same as the NVR default gateway.
But you need a couple of other things for devices on the NVR PoE segment to be able to communicate to the internet.
Internal IP routing in the NVR between the PoE segment and the LAN. This is activated automatically if you have 'Virtual Host' and it's enabled.
A static route on your LAN router to direct packets for the 192.168.254.0 network segment to the NVR LAN interface on 192.168.1.102
Your router will likely be able to allow you to create that.

To prove it all works, from the PC, use 'ping 192.168.254.1' and check for a response.
To show / check the routing, use 'tracert 192.168.254.1' and confirm it does not go out to the internet.

There are some posts on this topic - if you can find them. Hard though.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: email alerts to attach image on DS-7108N-SN/P or get camera to communicate outsid

Saw a couple post...
Is this the one you're refering to?
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1604-Hikvision-POE-LAN-segment-access-to-cameras-without-virtual-host-or-extra-wiring?highlight=extra+wiring

another thread suggested looping the NVR LAN port to the local switch...

I'm not at the camera location to test but if I did the loop method, changed the camera IP address to a local network address and set the NVR to manual with the proper configuration, the NVR should still pick up the cameras and the camera will be able to reach outside.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

I wasn't specifically thinking of the post you linked to - arguably that's a bit 'techy' for most folk, and is a bit outdated as firmware updates have removed the telnet command line facility.
But with the 'Virtual Host' option in later firmware there is no need to enable the 'kernel IP routing' as it's now already enabled by default, nor is there a need to change the camera HTTP port.
But fixing the camera default gateway to point to to the PoE interface IP address, and adding the static route on the LAN default gateway does work OK.
Some posts somewhere on that .. if you are lucky with a search.

You could make the external access work using the loop method you described (some posts somewhere on that too ...) but the camera video traffic will then all flow through the external connection. And you'd need to ensure Virtual Host is off to avoid a network loop where traffic races round an endless circle as fast as it is able.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I wasn't specifically thinking of the post you linked to - arguably that's a bit 'techy' for most folk, and is a bit outdated as firmware updates have removed the telnet command line facility.
But with the 'Virtual Host' option in later firmware there is no need to enable the 'kernel IP routing' as it's now already enabled by default, nor is there a need to change the camera HTTP port.
But fixing the camera default gateway to point to to the PoE interface IP address, and adding the static route on the LAN default gateway does work OK.
Some posts somewhere on that .. if you are lucky with a search.

You could make the external access work using the loop method you described (some posts somewhere on that too ...) but the camera video traffic will then all flow through the external connection. And you'd need to ensure Virtual Host is off to avoid a network loop where traffic races round an endless circle as fast as it is able.

Is virtual host confirmed available on a later firmware revision for the 7108? I can't seem to find confirmation.

GregTR

n3wb
Reaction score

Did you get this to work? I'm running into the same problem but with FTP not working on the camera to communication to the outside world. I don't have a static route in my router but that should be of no issue trying the camera to communicate out.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

Test #1 - can you ping the PoE-connected camera from the LAN?
If not - either one or both 'no IP-forward' enabled on the NVR kernel, incorrect routing on the LAN gateway.
To check the latter - use a tracert (or traceroute) to the PoE-connected camera IP address and see if it goes out to the internet.

silr20

n3wb
Reaction score

Hey all, I'm having the same issue with the camera's not being able to access the WAN (test e-mail wont send).
I can get to the camera without any issue internally after enabling the IP forward.

This a brand new netcomm nf12 router.....came with my plan when i signed up with my ISP (which means its prob shit).