Email Fail! HELP! - Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-IW

Reaction score
Camera: Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-IW V5.2.5 build 141201

Hi everyone! Please help! I have tried everything that I can find on the interwebs regarding this and nothing has worked.

I had my camera sending email notifications for "Line Crossed" events with out a hitch for the past 6+ months. During that time it stopped working for about a month and I never got around to troubleshooting it, but then randomly it started working again for a couple of weeks. But now it is not working again. I decided to try to tackle this due to the benefit of these notifications. However, after a few hours of troubleshooting, I've come up with nothing.

Here was my original Setup:
Gmail account using App Password (my account uses 2 Step authentication.
Sender: hikvision
Sender's Address: me@gmail.com
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 465
Enable SSL: YES
Interval: 2s
Attach Img: YES
Authentication: YES
User Name: me@gmail.com
Password: ******* (app password provided by google)
Confirm: ""
Receiver1: Me
Receiver1's Address: me@gmail.com

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:
I checked the TCP/IP Settings as I've seen suggested. Before I just had it use DHCP which had the camera point to my router (pfSense) for DNS and Gateway ect. and that worked fine, but in an effort to get it to work I've tried manually entering the TCP/IP information and setting Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4) and OpenDNS's DNS servers to no avail.

I also logged into the camera using SSH and tried pinging smtp.google.com with no problem. Connected just fine.

I then tried tried a dummy gmail account that I use for junk mail and I turned on the "Allow Less Secure Apps" for the account. Same error ("Failed to connect the test server."). I've tried all of this with and without rebooting the camera in between. I tried "Restoring" the camera (saving only login and TCP/IP settings) and only modifying the email settings. When that didn't work, I tried resetting the camera to factory "Default" and then set the TCP/IP settings from the Hikvision Tools (SADP) and logged in and only changed the email settings. Still same error ("Failed to connect the test server.").

I tried a Hotmail account and a Yahoo account as well both before and after the resetting processes.

I can't think of anything else I can try except updating the firmware, but I'm a little nervous about that because it is a Chinese build and I'm afraid of bricking it. I have seen on here though that there are some walk throughs on how to do this... I might give it a try... just hate to flush a $120 camera.

Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone had this issue?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

The Grem.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. This has been discussed extensively on the forum...use the search function.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. This has been discussed extensively on the forum...use the search function.
Thank you for the reply fenderman,

I have seen the other posts and have tried all of the solutions that were found there. That's why I started a new thread. Should I have instead replied to those asking for help?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply fenderman,

I have seen the other posts and have tried all of the solutions that were found there. That's why I started a new thread. Should I have instead replied to those asking for help?
There is no solution...it's a TLS issue... only a firmware update will help...read the entire thread

Reaction score
FYI, if someone else is having this issue and finds this thread. I was finally able to get it working again using smtp2go.com for the smtp server and a gmail email address. No SSL, just basic insecure login. Reply if you have any questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

Also, if you're thinking about updating the firmware. Based on what I read on this forum, don't do it. You only lose functionality and it doesn't sound like they updated any email functionality... meaning you'll do a lot of work to get it updated correctly (with the correct language) and then email still won't work... I haven't tried this, but this is what I've gathered. (Tried the find the thread... but don't have time to hunt for it :-/)