Email watchdog ideas?

Chalker

n3wb
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to best configure a email watchdog? I have several Hikvision cameras and an NVR and find that occasionally the cameras lose their settings or stop recording motion. Ditto for the NVR occasionally losing connection to a camera (i.e. once every month or so). Since I don't often check them. I then get caught offguard when I do want to review something.

The ideal solution would be some sort of automated email that gets sent to me if something wonky is going on with the cameras (i.e. they lose network connection or something). But it doesn't appear that the HikConnect service can do anything like that (unless I'm missing a setting somewhere).

Alternatively, I could configure the alarm outputs on the cameras to send emails, and hopefully notice when I stop receiving regular emails. However I don't want to be swamped by emails (1 per day at max), and I can't seem to figure out anyway to only send one alarm email per day max.

Any suggestions anyone might have?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The ideal solution would be some sort of automated email that gets sent to me if something wonky is going on with the cameras (i.e. they lose network connection or something).
The NVR can do this already within the linkage options for 'video loss'.
Though I don't see how you'd reliably do the same for loss of motion detection.

*edit*
Example from gmail

This is an automatically generated e-mail from your NVR.

EVENT TYPE: Video Signal Lost
EVENT TIME: 2017-09-10,21:43:10
NVR NAME: DS-7816N-E2
NVR S/N: 1620150203AARR503146794WCVU
CAMERA NAME(NUM): FrontDoor(D4)