Embarrassing question about upgrading!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What the ACTUAL #$%^&*???

Within the last five minutes I purchased a BRAND NEW version 5 license and it STILL won't let me use the new license number to upgrade! It says I have to purchase ANOTHER new license??? How many licenses does it take to upgrade?

If you can't tell... I'm extremely frustrated. I now own TWO version 5 licenses that are absolutely worthless.
The second one was not needed. Don't buy any more. You are not entering the key correctly.
You can NOT copy and paste the key into BI, you must type it in, using correct capitalizations.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You are the first person I've seen with this problem. Can you post a screen shot, using the Snipping Tool in Windows, of the error you're getting so we may be able to better understand what's going wrong?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My next suggestion would be to uninstall your previous version of BI, reboot the machine, and try a new install of V5 from scratch unless someone else has a better idea.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have not followed the directions in step one correctly.
Deactive the old license, on the About tab. Then try entering one of the new license keys. If next doesn't appear, then you have not entered the key correctly. You must type in the key.

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been extremely hesitant about doing anything to v4. The person that performed all the "heavy lifting" on that version is long gone and I don't want to lose all the configurations they completed perfected on the system.

All these years it has run flawlessly and I'm not sure I'll be capable of setting it all back up as robust as it is right now.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The second one was not needed. Don't buy any more. You are not entering the key correctly.
You can NOT copy and paste the key into BI, you must type it in, using correct capitalizations.
I copied and pasted my key into BI, and it worked just fine :idk:

I even copied from TextEditor on macOS and then pasted into BI running in an RDP session.

Jrh

n3wb
Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem. I had to enter my original full licence number first and then at a later stage the upgrade number.