Embedded Solution

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking at adding a nas onto my system with either zfs or refs. I've been looking at embedded solutions and impressed with some of the latest offerings. Given the embedded processor's capability I'm contemplating running windows server instead of freenas and moving my blueiris over to that system from my desktop.

my desktop is a 4770k and BI uses about 15% processor and another 12%gpu utilization. the intel j5005 process is surprisingly capable, and if it scales up, that puts me at about 60% utilization on the j5005. im currently running about 25megapixels of cameras with direct to disk recording and gpu acceleration enabled.

proposed motherboard in question:
ASRock J5005-ITX Intel Quad-Core Pentium Silver Processor J5005 (up to 2.8 GHz) Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Newegg.ca

anyone gone this route yet?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend it. That CPU does not have quick sync (so no hardware acceleration) and you would end up needing to cut back the frame rates a lot or use the "Limit decode" option.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i didn't know that, i though quick sync was standard if intel video was incorporated in the chip. it appears the j4205 does though, weird.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i didn't know that, i though quick sync was standard if intel video was incorporated in the chip. it appears the j4205 does though, weird.
regardless that processors is way to weak for your load...it would choke.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
good to know, looking just at the number i though it might work.