Empire Tech Camera and Geovision Network DVR

joedirt08

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys need some help here I installed some new Empire tech IPC-HDW2231R-ZS IP 2MP with a geovision 8 channel network receiver. After i power it on and put in the default password nothing comes up on the cameras, i go to the camera screen where i believe you look for the cameras and hit the refresh button and still nothing. These three cameras are powered by Cat6 cable. I currently dont have the receiver connected to the internet but that shouldn't matter in being able to see that cameras on the network dvr should it? It is a Geovision GV-SNVR0812, what am i missing here? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not an expert on NVRs and the Geovision GV-SNVR0812 .

Start with only one camera plugged into the NVR. Use a short ( less than 10 ft) premade store purchased Ethernet cable to test the cameras.. NVRs normally use a different sub network then your home network. For example your home network is 192.168.1.x but the ip camera network is 10.1.1.x So when a camera is plugged in the POE port on the NVR, will need to change the IP address of the camera. I do not know how a mixed NVR camera network accomplishes this.

Have you configured the used name password and ip address on the dahua cameras. All dahua cameras initial IP address is 192.168.1.108.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's also a place to enable/disable the NVR's built-in DHCP server where it can assign IP addresses to your cams if they are NOT set to static (as @SouthernYankee stated, the Dahuas come with a static IP), so you may need to insure that is disabled if you leave the Dahua as is or assign it a static IP.

According to the Geovision site, that NVR supports ONVIF cameras and your Dahua is ONVIF-compatible and is considered by Geovision to be a "third party camera".. If no joy from what @SouthernYankee had for you, then the attached page 46 instructs you on "Manually Connecting Third-Party IP Cameras". Your Dahua would need to have ONVIF enabled in order to add it that way.

If you need the whole 131 page manual, go here. Page 47 instructs how to use the camera's RTSP stream, so that's an option as well. It seems that they've made every effort to allow you to use non-Geovision cameras so it's doable.

Attachments

joedirt08

n3wb
Reaction score
Just so we are clear the empire tech cameras are the same as Dahua, I have tried manually connecting but I can’t connect it automatically I will try doing it manually again but I swore when I tried it I couldn’t even get to the box where I could put in the ip address because the boxes were grayed out

Reaction score
Just so we are clear the empire tech cameras are the same as Dahua, I have tried manually connecting but I can’t connect it automatically I will try doing it manually again but I swore when I tried it I couldn’t even get to the box where I could put in the ip address because the boxes were grayed out
Yes, they are dahua.