Enable IVS Trigger for Blue Iris - not working

Paul G

n3wb
Reaction score
I have found a couple of other threads with the same issue, but did not really see a final "aha" this is the key issue. And some of the threads sort of wandered off into other areas. So, i've been trying to get this to work for a couple of days, with no luck.

Short description: Using Dahua IPC-T5442T
Onvif triggering for motion to Blue Iris works
IVS triggering to Blue Iris does not.
Dahua Camera:IPC-T5442T-ZE Turret. Works well
Blue Iris: V 5.5.1.10 Have been running it with 3 cameras for quite a while
====================
Camera Settings:
1) Ensure Onvif user in place
2) Disable Motion (after having it enabled and working with BI)
3) Select IVS as Plan (Event/SmartPlan/IVS)
4) Set up simple rule (see attachment. Simple tripwire)

Blue Iris
1) Video/Configure- allowed and accepted find/inspect. Main Channel: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
1a) I have/had a substream in place as well, earlier.
2) Video/Configure - enable ONVIF trigger
3) Trigger - Disable Motion Sensor
4) Trigger check "Cameras input or motion alarm

I've got Onvif Device Manager up, and i see no traffic when i "believe" i've triggered IVS. I simply walk past the camera.

I'm attaching all settings. I'm guessing/hoping i've missed something obvious or done something stupid ... :( hoping that somebody can spot something or possibly suggest other ways in which i might debug this thing. I am not familiar with the Dahua interface. Is there some way i can turn on a debug log or something to see if there is anything to be seen?

thanks for any help

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have the camera on the Alerts set to fire when triggered?

Do you have an SD card in the camera and can confirm it triggered.

It might just be that field of view and one tripwire. You have bright sun coming in and then walking past the camera may have trouble identifying.

Try using the tripwire in a zigzag and maybe an intrusion box and confirm that the camera is triggering.

And try a reboot of the computer.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are the BI logs saying? Under BI Status and then Log tab? It should show motion there, and indicate if something caused it to be discarded, like DeepStack.

Make sure you have other motion on the camera set to OFF?

Paul G

n3wb
Reaction score
I do not have an SD card, but I'll stick one in. So if it doesn't write locally, it's not the communication. Ok, I'll make sure it works locally before worrying about bi communication.

thanks for the direction

Paul G

n3wb
Reaction score
Guess it must be close to Halloween. I placed a card in the camera, formatted it, rebooted a few times. Recreated the trip wire...
Now ...
yay!! recordings/events are showing up in BI.

But i see no logs and no events and no recordings when looking into the camera IP Control Panel .. go figure ...
So, i'm getting ultimately what i want ... but it would be nice if the camera software acted the way in which i expect. must be a setting somewhere...

Paul G

n3wb
Reaction score
sigh ... seems like any time i "touch" this is seems to stop working. The real difficult thing for me is to find any documentation with instructions or a picture that matches what i'm seeing. But then i can't find a consistent set of instructions on line, as each description is slightly different and none of them seem to match what i'm seeing entirely.

example below attached is my screen
When i look at any number of various instructions ..
1) i don't see relay out on my screen (not that it may or may not make a difference)
2) i don't see pixel count on any of the instructions (what does it mean? how does it relate to the other 2 items

so, i guess - given what i'm looking at, the interesting items are max/min/pixel counter. It would be helpful if somebody could point me to someplace that describes exactly what these settings do and how they relate to each other and to the "tripwire" in this case.

take a look at the second attachment. That is what i'm finding online. I'm sure they are different interfaces. You can't see it, but when i access my camera it says "IP Camera" in the upper left. So clearly there are differences - yeah, so many that i can't figure out what is what. So while there exist instructions on line, there are many, and they all conflict and overlap.

sorry for my frustrations ... i'm not that bad at following instructions and even messing around with stuff to get it working - if i could only find a screen that looks like what i'm seeing. Yes, i did look on line and saw 4 versions of IVS Old UI, New UI (i believe i have old ui) but still no match and not description of where these UIs live and where we are likely to find them.

thanks for any help - perhaps a quick description of the 3 key items above would be most helpul.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
First screen shot shows no IVS trigger line I can see. Could be I'm tired.

Second screen shots explains why it's having problems. The view is from too far away, needs more zoom if the camera has that, and the angle is not very good, too high, which makes objects even smaller.

Paul G

n3wb
Reaction score
sorry, i was just showing the "controls" not my settings. The second screen is not mine, it's one i got from online as a way to highlight the 2 different screens that configure IVS.

I guess what i was trying to ask was what the controls mean and why they differ so much when looking for instructions on line. If i understand what the settings mean/do i can then play with it.

1) what does max size mean
2) what does min size mean
3) what does pixel Counter do/mean
4) why do i not have a relay out on my screen when i see it in instructions, is it required for me to get onvif trigger to go to BI
5) what does "record delay" mean. I think i'd rather not "delay" recording, in fact i'd rather record prior to the event. BI does provide this, but i just want to understand what "record delay" means here and why is defaults to 10 or longer.

i just assumed that these questions would be answered somewhere in a manual, but its not clear i have found it. I did read somewhere that you can leave max/min at "0" if your camera has AI.. which i think i have 5442T.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You gotta remember these cameras are intended for the commercial market - we are not Dahua's intended market and that is their business decision. That is why there are no manuals per say.

Most of us here know that the Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras and NVRs instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and Dahua support and thus are on our own to figure it out. And we are just fine with that! That is what a forum like this is for!

Max size means if the object is larger than that it will not trigger.

Min size means the min size you want the camera to trigger on. Since you have a camera with AI, you leave this at 0,0 unless you are getting false triggers, then you set a min size larger than the false trigger (like a dog).

The pixel counter is simply to measure an object so you know what sizes to put in for a min object size.

The relay out is seen from the live view and is a little red alarm light, but unless you hooked something to the external cables (if this camera has it), it is meaningless.

Record delay means how long it records after the event.

Are you using Internet Explorer to set up this camera? Not Edge; Not Chrome with the IE extension, but plain ole Explorer baked into Windows 10.

Your image doesn't show the IVS lines.

You need to make sure that you have set this to record to the SD card. Simply inserting it doesn't mean it will record.

Paul G

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you for describing those items - and reminding me that i have bought a commercial camera - and a very good one i will add, absolutely no complaints.

I switched to IE and saw some differences, settings were the same, i will stick with it.

I have a card inserted and i have set it to record. I'll probably not be accessing it, but it looks like it needs to be there. What i will also rely on is ONVIF triggering to BI, which has been working. I got it working by poking at it, adding the sd card (even though i was looking only to onvif trigger). I'll reset everything again and use IE and get things working. Thanks again for the tip/meaning on those controls.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, reviewing it and setting up in IE should get the SD card going.

This should straighten everything out for you!

The SD card is a nice backup in the event BI or the computer wonks out on you at the wrong time.

Your camera is a little high, so if it is missing triggers, do the global setup to calibrate the camera to your field of view.

It is a great camera and the "trouble" of having to learn the nuances is worth the image compared to an off-the-shelf camera you can buy at the big box store!

Paul G

n3wb
Reaction score
It appears that i have things working pretty well. I have one last remaining issue/question (i guess for now).
When a tripwire is triggered i will get a recording locally on the sd card, and as well an onvif trigger to blue iris.

When i view the clip locally/camera/sd card it will show a few seconds (not sure how much) video just prior to the trip. So you get to see the object approach, trip and move away. So, the local camera knows? to start recording sometime before the trip triggered. (not sure where that is set)

when i view it in BI, i get recording starting only as it is being tripped, and then will continue - i would like to see 10 seconds prior to the trip. perhaps this is not doable? I know BI local detection handles this.

I don't know if that's a BI setting or a camera setting. I selected a 10 second pre-trigger option in BI (see attached) but not sure if i needed it or it gets in the way.
On the camera side, nothing special except 30 seconds delay, which appears to be working.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It appears that i have things working pretty well. I have one last remaining issue/question (i guess for now).
When a tripwire is triggered i will get a recording locally on the sd card, and as well an onvif trigger to blue iris.

When i view the clip locally/camera/sd card it will show a few seconds (not sure how much) video just prior to the trip. So you get to see the object approach, trip and move away. So, the local camera knows? to start recording sometime before the trip triggered. (not sure where that is set)

when i view it in BI, i get recording starting only as it is being tripped, and then will continue - i would like to see 10 seconds prior to the trip. perhaps this is not doable? I know BI local detection handles this.

I don't know if that's a BI setting or a camera setting. I selected a 10 second pre-trigger option in BI (see attached) but not sure if i needed it or it gets in the way.
On the camera side, nothing special except 30 seconds delay, which appears to be working.
This is why it is advisable to record continuously, as well as with alerts, to see what an event may miss.
Unless you have a specific need, uncheck "cut video when triggered with break time".

Paul G

n3wb
Reaction score
I checked that at the last minute to see if that work have a positive affect. Apparently not. I'll uncheck it.

I do plan to record continuously, that's next on my list as well as adding another camera.

Seeing 10 or 20 seconds prior to a trigger works on camera recording, and works if BI is the source of the trigger, very helpful.
Don't understand why BI misses it when triggered from camera to BI, even though the camera records it locally properly.

BI is what I'll use to check on clips, too bad those early seconds are missing.