Enabling H.264+ makes live-view impossible on iVMS-4200

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

When I enable H.264+ on my DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR, after the cameras restart, I can't view the live-view on iVMS-4200 (tried on both PC and Mac). However, from cellphone I can see the cameras live-view by using Hik-Connect application. Cameras used are DS-2CD2052-I and this is happening to each camera if I enable H.264+.

Hik_H264.jpg

However, recorded playback seems not affected by this, so I can play what cameras are recording in H.264+.

Disabling H.264+ makes live-view perfect again, but I'd love to see everything working perfectly with H.264+ enabling, because this increases the quality of live-view and playback and consumes less bandwidth too. Also, only by using H.264+ I can set my cameras to Full Frame, otherwise I'm stick with a max. of 20 frames (Full Frame is probably 25 fps or more).

I think I've seen this issue on other colleagues from this forum, but can't remember of an actual resolution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

The above movie does resolve the issues when playing H.264 Live View on Highest quality setting; basically, decreasing the i-frame no. to 10...15 does the trick, but for H.264+ issue still remains valid . So, does anyone knows how to resolve the Live View issues when enabling H.264+?

L.E.: For some cameras I needed to go as low as 5 fps for the i-Frame, see attached pic from below.
Highest_quality-20fps.jpg

Last edited:

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Quite nobody? I've heard anyone with older Hik NVR's are having this issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us here do not run + or other smart codec regardless of which VMS system is used. Most of us find plain ole H264 results in the best image and overall performance.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most of us here do not run + or other smart codec regardless of which VMS system is used. Most of us find plain ole H264 results in the best image and overall performance.
I believe I herd Ken say not to use H264+ one of the BI seminars. Could cause issue.

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know what you're saying, but still H.264+ is causing a better image quality on the recording and I'm saying this from my own experience. Also, only with H.264+ I can achieve flawless 30 fps with my NVR, so I would love to be able to make it work properly for both recording and playback (on both monitor and remote devices).

Thank you!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

When I enable H.264+ on my DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR, after the cameras restart, I can't view the live-view on iVMS-4200 (tried on both PC and Mac). However, from cellphone I can see the cameras live-view by using Hik-Connect application. Cameras used are DS-2CD2052-I and this is happening to each camera if I enable H.264+.

However, recorded playback seems not affected by this, so I can play what cameras are recording in H.264+.

Disabling H.264+ makes live-view perfect again, but I'd love to see everything working perfectly with H.264+ enabling, because this increases the quality of live-view and playback and consumes less bandwidth too. Also, only by using H.264+ I can set my cameras to Full Frame, otherwise I'm stick with a max. of 20 frames (Full Frame is probably 25 fps or more).

I think I've seen this issue on other colleagues from this forum, but can't remember of an actual resolution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
HI @trl

H.264, H.265 .. H.264+, ..

remember, implementations of the standards may vary on device / firmware and you can expect certain products to not be compatible with each other on all standards.

You can check if newer firmware / software resolves some issues .. otherwise probably best to just stick with what you find works.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No reason to run more than 15FPS, and many us have cams running at 10 to 12 FPS. Movies for the big screen are shot at 24FPS, so I do not think we need 30FPS for these cameras and to view on our phones and monitors LOL. The goal is to get a clean image, not smooth motion.

Please post us a freeze frame capture of motion at night coming from 30 FPS. I bet it is a blur. But watching it realtime probably is silky smooth LOL.

Sure 30FPS can provide a smoother video but no police officer has said "wow that person really is running smooth". They want the ability to freeze frame and get a clean image. So be it if the video is a little choppy....and at 10-15FPS it won't be appreciable. My neighbor runs his at 60FPS, so the person or car goes by looking smooth, but it is a blur when trying to freeze frame it because the camera can't keep up. Meanwhile my cameraat 15FPS with the proper shutter speed gets the clean shots.

Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS

Last edited:

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know very well the differences between 15 fps and 30 fps, thank you. I intend to use 30 fps on one of my home front cameras from personal reasons; the rest of the cameras are already set to 15 fps and will stay this way.

My initial issue still stands, as I would like to make use of H.264+ features and I can't do that due to live view issues on both NVR and remote streaming.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the firmware on your E-series NVR? From what I remember 3.4.92 is the one I would recommend using. The latest is 3.4.96 which is suppose to be better and newer but there were a few quirks that made it less desirable. I don't recall which it was that made me recommended installing 3.4.92 and not making the upgrade to 3.4.96 as the E-series has been discontinued for a few years.

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer!

I do have the latest available fw for the NVR: V3.4.98 build 171121 (encoding ver. V5.0 build 170830). I remember that after fw I started to have issues with playback in mobile Hikvision application on both Android and iOS and this is happening today as well. XMEeye connected to Chinese NVRs works way better than my Hik connected to Hik's applications (it stutters a lot and gives me "Network is unreachable" when doing few hundred Kbs traffic on local LAN and 1Gbs Internet subscription).

I've noticed that with H.264+ enabled, on Medium encoding quality, onsite and remote playback is possible most of the times, but when increasing the encoding quality to High or Highest or to Constant bitrate of let's say 8192KBs @5MPx it's impossible to do any live view (no matter fps, could be as low as 4fps), not even on the NVR itself I can't see the cameras.

Right now I'm on H.264 only and streams are between 8MBs - 12MBs and I have no issues with live streaming and playback on both remote live view or NVR view/playback.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the issue is primarily causing issues on your computer..... Are you running the latest software? On the top right corner of IVMS4200 there is a resources meter. Are any of those maxing out when you try to pull a stream? Also have you tried the hardware acceleration setting on the software configuration?

1645108136762.png
1645108193871.png

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I have the latest iVMS-4200, tested on several Windows and MacOS laptops and desktops. Also, same happens on iOS and Android on my mobile phones and several others are complaining about this on Internet too. Youtube guys are resolving this by lowering the iFrame and sometimtes this indeed helps, but not all the times.

Issue is not related only to remote Live View, but after enabling H.264+ and change video quality to Highest I can't have Live View even on NVR itself, although I have occupied 72 Mbs out of 80 Mbs bandwidth, so it's not the bandwidth.

Reaction score
when H264- was enabled on my hikvision cameras it defaulted the fps to 50, which than was the cause of my BI server to constantly crash

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Given that I can't see any image on NVR's attached monitor itself, this is an NVR/firmware issue in my case. 5MPx @ any fps with Highest quality setting and H.264+ enabled is probably incompatible with this NVR. However, I don't remember having this issue before upgrading the firmware (few years ago). Also, tried with different iframe settings, but useless.