Encrypting footage

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there any way to encrypt the footage stored by Blue Iris so unauthorized personnel cannot access the footage even if the entire server is stolen? I have a SSD, and two 3TB drives in my setup. Is full disk encryption or bitlocker an option here?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
with full disk encryption a passphrase will be required at boot; so such a configuration wont recover from a power outage on its own.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
with full disk encryption a passphrase will be required at boot; so such a configuration wont recover from a power outage on its own.
Mine are plugged into a UPS, so power outage shouldn't really be a problem. I wonder if I encrypt the external drives with BitLocker, whether BI service can still access them to transfer files.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
bitlocker is not trusthworthy IMHO; I'd check out VeraCrypt - Home

you might be able to store the encryption key on a usb drive hidden in a wall on a long usb extension.. then if they yank all the cables and take it the'll leave the key behind and it'll still recover automatically..

Power outages can last longer than your batteries; and with Murphy's law in full effect combined with Ocams Razor it seems more likely of an event to occur than data being utilized; I suspect if someone walks out with your NVR the'll just destroy the disks if they are this technically savvy.. as they want to destroy evidence; not retrieve it and put it on the internet to incriminate them selves.

If you go the full disk encryption route I would have a backup solution in place; so if/when your NVR is sitting there asking for a password you can still have something recording somewhere.

I admire your drive (pun intended) to encrypt all this stuff; but you likely have bigger fish to fry than plug this minor attack surface.. you think a few hour long power outage wont be a problem but potentially your own video surveillance recordings being physically stolen and used against you is likely? Not sure I want to ask what your doing to be this paranoid.. but I can see the desire to keep the courts from using em against you if something crazy happened one day; in that case you can only store the decryption keys in your head.. as thats the only place they are safe from legal reach (5th Ammendment)

Last edited:

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I admire your drive (pun intended) to encrypt all this stuff; but you likely have bigger fish to fry than plug this minor attack surface.. you think a few hour long power outage wont be a problem but potentially your own video surveillance recordings being physically stolen and used against you is likely? Not sure I want to ask what your doing to be this paranoid.. but I can see the desire to keep the courts from using em against you if something crazy happened one day; in that case you can only store the decryption keys in your head.. as thats the only place they are safe from legal reach (5th Ammendment)
Yes I just read an article on how Dropcam was forced by the court to use this guy's video evidence against him in a domestic case. Either way, I'm not going to jump through hoops to get this working, but if there's an easy and free way to do this with no drawbacks, then why not? Just because one worries about the security of the weeks of indoor camera footage getting into the wrong hands doesn't mean he's up to no good. And one can argue having indoor cameras in the first place is paranoid enough :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont record indoors unless the security system is armed, and I have very few indoor cameras.. got lucky and for some reason all my pets like sleeping in the kids room when were gone so its easy enough to check in on em while away.. would rather there be nothing to have; outside I dont consider I have much privacy at all.

bentson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My entire storage disk is encrypted with Bitlocker.

No problems with BI writing to it.Has been working well for a couple of years.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My entire storage disk is encrypted with Bitlocker.

No problems with BI writing to it.Has been working well for a couple of years.
The issue becomes when the system reboots after a power outage...
In general this is a very minor concern...desktops are rarely ever stolen and if you tie it down with a lock it lower the chance of theft to nearly zero...even if stolen, the thief would then have to want to look through the footage....very unlikely scenario...

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can add a TPM module for bitlocker it will reboot fine after a power outage without any input from the user.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and bitlocker already has a poor track record; Holding Shift + F10 During Windows 10 Updates Opens Root CLI, Bypasses BitLocker

If your using bitlocker for the expressed purpose of denying evidence against your self; then dont count on it.. If the FBI can bypass Apple's crypto w/out there help then MS will be a walk in the park for even your local LEO.

Dont bother doing it if you cant do it right.. use VeraCrypt or something else.