End of my rope on network issue

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been successfully using one ethernet Hikvision PTZ mini dome camera interfacing to a dedicated computer running Blue Iris 5 undder Windows 10 Pro since October 2019. My configuration is an Arris Cable modem wireless router combo with the dedicated computer attached to the network wirelessly. The camera was connected with TP-Link adapters to provide ethernet over power plugged into an ethernet port on the Arris router. At the other end is the paired TP-Link adapter connected to an ethernet unmanaged POE router and then the camera is also plugged in to that router. The two TP-Link adapters are on the same circuit (breaker). I had to go this routes due to logistics related to thr location of the Arris router and the POE router. This configuration worked well from October 2019 until February 16, 2020 when one of the TP-Link modules started experiencing problems and I could not access the camera through a browser or Blue Iris. I have since gotten rid off the TP-Link modules and installed a wireless network extender which is connected to the POE router with an ethernet cable. I still cannot access the camera from the dedicated computer, however if I ping the IP address of the camera from the dedicated computer I get responses back from the camera. On Blue Iris I get a message "Cam1: error 8000274C - No signal". In the web browser (Firefox and Microsoft edge) I get waiting for 192.168... and ultimately it just times out. On another computer connected wirelessly to the Arris router I can connect to the camera and see the video and change configuration with no problem using Firefox. I can also connect my cell phone to the Arris router and using Chrome browser I can connect to the camera and see the video with no issues. Also on the dedicated computer I can connect through the Arris router and surf the internet with no problem. However, I decided to rule out the USB wireless adapter and hardwaired the dedicated computer to the Arris router by running a ethernet cable from one room to another and eureka, I had video in Blue Iris. Since I couldn't leave the temporary cable run between the rooms I decided try the TP-Link units again for a much shorter distance and when I did I stopped getting video again so I went back to the temporary ethernet cable and this time I could not get to the camera again no matter what I tried.I am really at a loss. In researching one issue that was raised that could cause this error was related to Windows 10 and I got to thinking that I had updated to the latest version 1909 November 2019 update. So today I reverted back to pre 1909 state, I still cannot see any video and still get the Cam1 no signal message without an error code. It almost seems like whatever path (wireless first thenethernet cable second) I used to go to the camera through the TP-Link units have been blocked by Windows from receiving any data from the cameras
Anybody have any ideas on what maybe wrong? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
According to your diagram you are running most of your equipment on WIFI. WIFI unreliable for security cameras hard wire the BI PC to the switch with the hardwired cameras.

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
According to your diagram you are running most of your equipment on WIFI. WIFI unreliable for security cameras hard wire the BI PC to the switch with the hardwired cameras.
I am in a mobile home and the camera is attached to a shed, the router is in a bedroom, and the computer is in a florida room with concrete slab floor, so no easy access for running cables between devices, It has been working fine since October and I can access the camera fine from another computer and cell phone, so I don't think it has anything to do with it being wireless. It seems related more to the dedicated PC

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A network diagram with IP address would help.
1) @fishinforfacts , as requested by @SouthernYankee , would you mind furnishing complete IP's for all devices depicted in your otherwise terrific network diagram?
2) Also, could you mark which PC(s) can access the cam and which cannot?
3) Lastly, assuming that Netgear wireless extender has been configured as client/client-bridge mode, which SSID (wireless name) has it been slaved to?

Last edited:

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1) @fishinforfacts , as requested by @SouthernYankee , would you mind furnishing complete IP's for all devices depicted in your otherwise terrific network diagram?
3) Lastly, assuming that Netgear wireless extender has been configured as client/client-bridge mode, which SSID (wireless name) has it been slaved to?
I have updated the earlier posted diagram. All computers can successfully ping the camera, but the one cannot connect to it

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Arris SSID is SBG6900AC-CCAAD and the extender is SBG6900AC-CCAAD-2GEXT. The extender is configured as an extender not an access point. The only thing connected to the extender is the hardwired POE Switch. Nothing is connected to it wirelessly. As I have said before a laptop and the phone are able to access the camera through the exact same path as the the pc that cannot access the camera

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Arris SSID is SBG6900AC-CCAAD and the extender is SBG6900AC-CCAAD-2GEXT.
I think the model number of the Netgear wireess extrender is incorrect above.
The extender is configured as an extender not an access point. The only thing connected to the extender is the hardwired POE Switch.
I'm referring to the Netgear extender at 192.168.0.4 and labelled as "extender". And FWIW, I know the difference between AP's, extenders, and bridges.
Nothing is connected to it wirelessly.
Your own diagram shows the camera connected to the Netgear extender via the switch....how else would you connect to the camera as drawn except wirelessly via the Netgear wireless extender?

Either your diagram is incorrect or ????

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think the model number of the Netgear wireess extrender is incorrect above.

The Netgear Extender is a EX6120

I'm referring to the Netgear extender at 192.168.0.4 and labelled as "extender". And FWIW, I know the difference between AP's, extenders, and bridges.

Your own diagram shows the camera connected to the Netgear extender via the switch....how else would you connect to the camera as drawn except wirelessly via the Netgear wireless extender?

I misunderstood the first time. The computer connects to the camera wirelessly through the extender.

Either your diagram is incorrect or ????

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's where I am at this point. All indications to me were that this was not a network issue and instead was a windows issue. So, getting no other input I decided to reinstall windows on the dedicated machine. This also required reinstalling Blue Iris as well. In Blue Iris I set my camera back up and eureka I was getting a video feed from the camera. This is great progress, bu now I have to set up my zones and triggers in BI, but that is manageable. Accessing the camera with a browser also works.

Thanks to everyone fo their help.

Last edited: