English vs American

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will there be any difference in buying American version of an NVR or an English version?

can I connect any region of cameras to them?

any info is appreciated

:rolleyes-new::rolleyes-new::rolleyes-new:

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i'm not 100% sure on this, but i think you will find that the 'english' version actually a european version, whilst the 'american' version is a US box. i am not sure the firmware are interchangeable. but i am sure someone will correct me on this.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok probably should look for English then since I live in Europe and it´s probably less hassle.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it´s comlicated =D ... I am Swedish but yes I live in Italy , but got the cameras in Sweden =) .. confusing enough

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
There is no "American" Hikvision. They are rebranded Swann, LTS etc... Just look for model with NI and avoid N

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
perhaps the brand of camera/nvr would be useful information to share...

but typically no, with digital it makes little difference.. I am running a mixed american/china/european setup right now and everything works fine.. I kinda like PAL as the substreams have a bit better resolution than the NTSC ones.. even watching cars driving by on the roads I cant see any difference from 25 and 30fps, so 25fps max for pal/euro seems like a fair trade.

my PAL NVR works fine on my NTSC tv, and my NTSC cameras work fine on my PAL NVR..

if you were working with analouge signals, completely different story.. those are actually formatted/encoded differently, whereas digital is exactly the same formatting/encoding with different settings.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no got digital 4mp cameras so it should be less trouble.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Those 4mp cameras, are they Hikvision Chinese region or not? If they are you will need Chinese region NVR (N) to connect to them, newest 3.4.2 firmware in non Chinese region NVR (NI) no longer allows you to run Chinese region cams.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well F*** me.... yes well got one and ordering a second one at the moment. The one I have is most likely chinese with multilanguage firmware version on . and ze chinese lady at AE told me not to update .( so I suppose that means it is hacked, and chinese at heart ) . Do you think the NVR with latest firmware will take that one if I dont update it ?

i´m looking at hikvision only system, so no mixed brands.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
as long as your NI NVR isn't running 3.4.2 you will be ok, otherwise people reported that you no longer can run those hacked Chinese region cams even using ONVIF profile

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
why do they have to behave so oldschool.... no easy way to change flash the chip to change region ?... well I would like to be able to get updates to my firmware especially since I want it to work with h.265 if that ever happens. Well thank you for the info. I guess it decision time soo then .. have to figure out what makes more sense i guess

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hmm so If If change my initial thought of buying european stuff .... can I change (with hacks) the language on all the chinese hardware camera, nvr etc? .. then I guess that would be the easiest solution

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why do they have to behave so oldschool.
Hik's customers are not you and I, its the retail sellers.. and this is what they want, to prevent you from importing cheaper and better cameras.. If you dont like it, protest with your wallet.. its that simple.

Vendors dont like us importing cheap cameras, cuts them out.. I take it back, they HATE us importing cheap cameras.. damn internets!

The market is really fucked up right now.. been turbulent times with performance gains happening rapidly, prices plummeting, new tech baffling old entrenched engineers.. most of the pro's dont know whats going on or what there doing.. no surprise customers are so frustrated and companies are going down with their dead business models.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
couldn´t agree more there brother. The way they are reacting to this "problem" is completely backwards. ( yes I know it doesnt help me or anyone that we complain on a forum on the internets =D ) ....

But the thing is I would not be paying for HIK´s relatively low quality hardware and the software is just horrendous compare to what one should expect. It´s 2016, people expect more and not settle for less ( seems like there are strangely enough alot of people that buy it with full price since the company is so big....)

rant over.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
one more thing though. If I get an NVR that I can update, european version. it´s possible I suppose to try a new firmware, and then if it doesn´t work just go back to the previous version ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats what u'd be paying support for, email your vendor and get it in writing :p

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
otherwise people reported that you no longer can run those hacked Chinese region cams even using ONVIF profile
No, the hacked cameras are fine, if they stay hacked. As long as the hacked firmware is not overwritten by an upgrade using the native, non-hacked firmware.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
No, the hacked cameras are fine, if they stay hacked. As long as the hacked firmware is not overwritten by an upgrade using the native, non-hacked firmware.
Is it confirmed that 3.4.2 will not have issues with hacked cams? i thought someone said that even in ONVIF profile those will have issues