Error connecting to wunderground

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been using Blue Iris since 2017 and currently using V5. However, I've only just recently been made aware of BIT and I love the concept. Unfortunately, for me, I cannot seem to get the weather overlays to work because of this error:

error.jpg

Tried a dozen different station ID's in several different locations and I know I have an internet connection. :idk:

I have searched previous posts relating to this and the only one I found didn't really help me out. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

tahoegeek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WUndergorund killed their private API service. I am currently looking for alternative solutions.
Here's another shout-out of thanks to you, Mike! I appreciate you taking the time to research alternative options. I've enjoyed checking my local weather when I'm also checking my cams. It would be a shame if that feature died-off.

BCSO303

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes! Add me to the shout out.. Awesome add on for Blue Iris Software which I have maintained the registration for for years..If there 's anyway to redirect to an alternative host I'm all for it.. Unfortunately WU took the wrong turn for me and dropped a lot of features. Providing valuable weather information to my users is very important. Thank you for all that you do. It is appreciated.

NobleBOFH

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been using Blue Iris since 2017 and currently using V5. However, I've only just recently been made aware of BIT and I love the concept. Unfortunately, for me, I cannot seem to get the weather overlays to work because of this error:
Weather updates started failing for me today. I was looking into purchasing my own WU weather station. WU just saved me some $$

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1.6.0 - Jan 18, 2020
-Fixed WUnderground API issue!
-Completely new weather system
-Added "Dew Point", "Solar Radiation" & "Precipitation Rate" to weather values & languages
-Groundwork started for BIT 2.0
-"Wind Desc." changed to "Wind Dir." due to changes w/ WU
-Add-on handler "weather_get_winddesc" changed to "weather_get_winddir"
-Multiple language phrases & add-on hanlders added for new weather values
-Multiple locations temporarily disabled. Will be back soon!
-Many bug fixes

Yay! Thank you very much

BCSO303

n3wb
Reaction score
1.6.0 - Jan 18, 2020
-Fixed WUnderground API issue!
-Completely new weather system
-Added "Dew Point", "Solar Radiation" & "Precipitation Rate" to weather values & languages
-Groundwork started for BIT 2.0
-"Wind Desc." changed to "Wind Dir." due to changes w/ WU
-Add-on handler "weather_get_winddesc" changed to "weather_get_winddir"
-Multiple language phrases & add-on hanlders added for new weather values
-Multiple locations temporarily disabled. Will be back soon!
-Many bug fixes

Yay! Thank you very much
Just wanted to say Thank you for your Time and Effort! The weather information has been working great! Really appreciate the upkeep of the software.. I'll be looking into a donation.. Well worth the investment! :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You've gotta be jinxed! I just clicked your link and got the "Brutus" message. So I checked mine and got the same, then mine updated. Then I went back to yours and now it shows offline. IBM is such a great manager of WU!

Last edited:

tahoegeek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You've gotta be jinxed! I just clicked your link and got the "Brutus" message. SI I checked mine and got the same, then mine updated. Then I went back to yous and now it shows offline. IBM is such a great manager of WU!
Hah! So it goes. I just verified in BI that my camera is absolutely ONLINE so the issue is beyond my network. At least the previous time lapse is still there. When this issue cropped up, the old footage went away as well. EDIT: I also checked the Davis Weatherlink app (my wx station is a Davis Vantage Vue). The app shows the current data and that verifies the station is online. To your point, the problem is with Wunderground.

Last edited:

BassTeQ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mine has stopped updating again, anyone else having an issue?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Since Itty Bitty Machine took over WU has turned into a train wreck that keeps happening, over and over again. The last outage was for "upgrades" and in the process they also broke their own SSL certificate plus they've, again, added the "spider effect" back into the wind direction display on the map. Apparently, they roll out updates with zero testing and do their testing live on line. Sure adds a high level of confidence in Itty Bitty Machine, doesn't it? :screwy:

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there other options other than WU that use webcams and weather uploads?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't seen one, yet, that easily connects to an Acurite weather station without needing a Pi or additional software running on a PC. Getting an Acurite was my first mistake. It makes me question why I even bother with posting to WU to begin with. My objective was to be able to see what the current conditions are for myself. Posting the data to WU has become sort of an addiction, though. As far as a weather webcam goes, I can look out the window or look at UI3 to find out what's going on outside and, somehow, I don't think WU gives a hoot about it in the first place so it actually becomes kind of redundant waste of bandwidth. A weather webcam for some people, like resorts as an example, can be useful, but those are fairly limited cases.

That said, the data from all these stations, while not at the accuracy of professional equipment, can supply trends regarding weather. Note I say weather and not climate. Weather happens in the short term, human lifetime limited, time frames. Climate changes over millennium.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Something is definitely going on with Weather Underground again. My Blue Iris tools is still pulling the weather from my personal weather station that uploads to weather underground, but in order for my sprinkler controller to use that data, it needs to be copied over to PWSweather.com. It looks like since Wednesday the 29th, it has failed to do so
TRI-587.jpg

In looking at what other weather stations my Rachio Sprinkler Controller can use, I see there are several in my area that are reporting to the "Citizen Weather Observer Program" at wxqa.com which in turn is reporting to 'weather quality reporter' at "Control for Weather Quality Reporter" I am going to look into trying to get that up and running at least for my sprinkler controller. Like several have mentioned, I like using the Blue Iris tools to show an overlay on one of my cams so I can easily check the current temp outside