Ethernet Cable Problem

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You may have to add a power injector. I have had to do that with a couple of my cameras.
I have been in this kind of situation before, Sounds like the OP is running out of options, I have used your Idea of using a power injector or 12v power at the camera itself at the end of the run, that should tell it all.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You guys are missing a key point. The OP stated he tried the cam via the cable in question on a different POE switch and had the same problem.
Then the wire or camera is bad.
A damage/kinked/pinched cable is most likely the issue.

But the camera has to be taken down and plugged into a known good switch with a known good jumper to really test it.

Reaction score
Then the wire or camera is bad.
A damage/kinked/pinched cable is most likely the issue.

But the camera has to be taken down and plugged into a known good switch with a known good jumper to really test it.
I guess you did not read the thread. Cam works on a short cable plugged directly into the POE switch. Cam does not work using the installed cable plugged into the original POE or a different POE switch. A second cam does not work using the installed cable.

He has re-terminated the ends. Still not working.

It is the cable.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess you did not read the thread. Cam works on a short cable plugged directly into the POE switch. Cam does not work using the installed cable plugged into the original POE or a different POE switch. A second cam does not work using the installed cable.

He has re-terminated the ends. Still not working.

It is the cable.
I did. I was just rephrasing the troubleshooting that should have been done already.

Reaction score
The original post mentions nothing about using the 568 standard. You simply cannot match up the ends, you must follow the specific order.
Check the cable to make the cable is copper and not Copper clad aluminum/CCA
A tiny pinhole anywhere in the covering of Cu clad Al cable is death to the cable. Sometimes it takes years for the Al to oxidize to the point of failure. If you're serious about your system, don't use it.

Personally, I love climbing up and down a 25 ft ladder and holding a the cable with one hand and stapling with the other on an overhead installation ;) Even if it's not Cu clad Al that's what you're going to have to do. It's the cable.

OSD

toenee

n3wb
Reaction score
Working on existing install of an outdoor IP camera connected to a PoE switch with a cable run of about 150 feet - the camera became intermittent, and then failed.

Troubleshooting steps - Removed the camera and connected to a test bed - the camera operates normally.
Did a cable test and appeared to have bad line 3. Reterminated cable & tested good (cheap tester)
PoE test - good.
Brand new and tested camera: connect, and it powers up, boots, and then flashes showing no network connectivity & switch lights do not show a data link.
Connect the camera directly at the switch with a 1-foot cable - camera works & connects to the server.

Connect a computer at the remote end, and have connectivity to the switch and the network video server (responds to ping)(.

So - it appears that the cable works for a connection without PoE, but when a PoE device connected drawing power - no data.

I also tested with a second known good PoE switch with same results - power supplied, but no data link can be established.

And, finally, after trying many things, verified that the camera will operate on a cable with just 2 pairs (pins 1,2, & 3,6) and with the idea that maybe one of the pairs has an issue, tried using the brown and blue pairs on 1,2 & 3,6 - but get same result - no data link.
Tried with different brand cameras.

What is going on?

toenee

n3wb
Reaction score
Working on existing install of an outdoor IP camera connected to a PoE switch with a cable run of about 150 feet - the camera became intermittent, and then failed.

Troubleshooting steps - Removed the camera and connected to a test bed - the camera operates normally.
Did a cable test and appeared to have bad line 3. Reterminated cable & tested good (cheap tester)
PoE test - good.
Brand new and tested camera: connect, and it powers up, boots, and then flashes showing no network connectivity & switch lights do not show a data link.
Connect the camera directly at the switch with a 1-foot cable - camera works & connects to the server.

Connect a computer at the remote end, and have connectivity to the switch and the network video server (responds to ping)(.

So - it appears that the cable works for a connection without PoE, but when a PoE device connected drawing power - no data.

I also tested with a second known good PoE switch with same results - power supplied, but no data link can be established.

And, finally, after trying many things, verified that the camera will operate on a cable with just 2 pairs (pins 1,2, & 3,6) and with the idea that maybe one of the pairs has an issue, tried using the brown and blue pairs on 1,2 & 3,6 - but get same result - no data link.
Tried with different brand cameras.

What is going on?
Had the same problem went through same fault finding it was the camera faulty in the end this was done by replacement (desperation) sorry not a good answer for you

Reaction score
It cannot be the camera if it works fine on a short cable as is the case with the OP.
I can see a scenario where the power regulator in the camera is heading south (eg. a capacitor going bad) and the voltage after the IR drop is on the wrong side of the hairy edge.

Testing with a 150' length of cable may be prudent. I'd do that for sure before climbing up on the ladder again!

-OSD

Reaction score
I can see a scenario where the power regulator in the camera is heading south (eg. a capacitor going bad) and the voltage after the IR drop is on the wrong side of the hairy edge.

Testing with a 150' length of cable may be prudent. I'd do that for sure before climbing up on the ladder again!

-OSD
Oh, yeah, don't forget that temperature could be a factor, too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

-OSD
I have never seen this, ever. When there is an issue like this, it is always the cable. Most relevant is the part where he says that he tried a new good working camera and it failed as well. Temperature is only a factor if you have a bad crimp or a damaged cable, and therefore breaks connectivity in the cold. A proper copper cable running poe will not be affected for two reasons. First, while temperature can effect conductivity, it is higher temps that will reduce it not lower. Second the poe negotiation will address the amount of power needed to be supplied.

toenee

n3wb
Reaction score
It cannot be the camera if it works fine on a short cable as is the case with the OP.
I hear you what I’m saying is I did your tests including changing cable and after a few minutes in it’s installed position it failed and we had to order a second camera to prove it We lost out but didn’t lose our customer

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you what I’m saying is I did your tests including changing cable and after a few minutes in it’s installed position it failed and we had to order a second camera to prove it We lost out but didn’t lose our customer
You tested a new camera and it failed. A new cable and it failed. The only other options are a bad poe switch/injector, some sort of severe electrical interference introduced or junk cable or poor termination skills on your end. Buy a premade cable and test with another switch.

Etech

n3wb
Reaction score
If it were me I would test the voltage output of the POE at the camera. If it is near or less than the camera requires add an injector. Some POE switches provide poor documentation on rated POE output so if you are at the edge of sufficient an injector can solve the problem.