Ethernet Cable Problem

regone

n3wb
Reaction score
Working on existing install of an outdoor IP camera connected to a PoE switch with a cable run of about 150 feet - the camera became intermittent, and then failed.

Troubleshooting steps - Removed the camera and connected to a test bed - the camera operates normally.
Did a cable test and appeared to have bad line 3. Reterminated cable & tested good (cheap tester)
PoE test - good.
Brand new and tested camera: connect, and it powers up, boots, and then flashes showing no network connectivity & switch lights do not show a data link.
Connect the camera directly at the switch with a 1-foot cable - camera works & connects to the server.

Connect a computer at the remote end, and have connectivity to the switch and the network video server (responds to ping)(.

So - it appears that the cable works for a connection without PoE, but when a PoE device connected drawing power - no data.

I also tested with a second known good PoE switch with same results - power supplied, but no data link can be established.

And, finally, after trying many things, verified that the camera will operate on a cable with just 2 pairs (pins 1,2, & 3,6) and with the idea that maybe one of the pairs has an issue, tried using the brown and blue pairs on 1,2 & 3,6 - but get same result - no data link.
Tried with different brand cameras.

What is going on?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could be corrosion on the camera end.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Working on existing install of an outdoor IP camera connected to a PoE switch with a cable run of about 150 feet - the camera became intermittent, and then failed.

Troubleshooting steps - Removed the camera and connected to a test bed - the camera operates normally.
Did a cable test and appeared to have bad line 3. Reterminated cable & tested good (cheap tester)
PoE test - good.
Brand new and tested camera: connect, and it powers up, boots, and then flashes showing no network connectivity & switch lights do not show a data link.
Connect the camera directly at the switch with a 1-foot cable - camera works & connects to the server.

Connect a computer at the remote end, and have connectivity to the switch and the network video server (responds to ping)(.

So - it appears that the cable works for a connection without PoE, but when a PoE device connected drawing power - no data.

I also tested with a second known good PoE switch with same results - power supplied, but no data link can be established.

And, finally, after trying many things, verified that the camera will operate on a cable with just 2 pairs (pins 1,2, & 3,6) and with the idea that maybe one of the pairs has an issue, tried using the brown and blue pairs on 1,2 & 3,6 - but get same result - no data link.
Tried with different brand cameras.

What is going on?
Are you using the 568B standard when wiring the cables?

Reaction score
what Fenderman says. First easiest thing to look at are the brass pins outside. See if rust is the issue on one of the pins.
Second, reterminate the outside connector first (RJ45 modular plug or onto a data jack+patch cord) using the same standard as at patch panel/at switch.

regone

n3wb
Reaction score
I have tried several cameras - Axis M3057-PLE, Axis P3354. The original camera - which also doesn't work on this cable now - is a Bosch 2mp older model (not sure of model #).

Both ends of the cable have been re-terminated and tested - so I don't see how it could be corrosion.
Wiring is per 568B (and as mentioned in original post, after the cable didn't work re-terminating both ends per 568B - twice - I did a non-standard wiring using the brown and blue pairs in place of orange and green respectively)
The camera goes through self-test/boots up - does not appear to be a PoE/power issue.

I suspect something wrong with the cable itself, or maybe interference - I don't have test equipment to certify the cable.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
so I don't see how it could be corrosion

The camera goes through self-test/boots up - does not appear to be a PoE/power issue.
The corrosion could be anywhere along its length.
Or a break or a some other damage.

You would need a real cable tester like a fluke which can show you a wire map etc.

The difference between a device powering on and actually running are vastly different when it comes to power requirements.

How hard is it to replace the cable?

regone

n3wb
Reaction score
The corrosion could be anywhere along its length.
Or a break or a some other damage.

You would need a real cable tester like a fluke which can show you a wire map etc.
Yes - understood. (I don't see how the ends could be corroded. Need a fluke.)

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried several cameras - Axis M3057-PLE, Axis P3354. The original camera - which also doesn't work on this cable now - is a Bosch 2mp older model (not sure of model #).

Both ends of the cable have been re-terminated and tested - so I don't see how it could be corrosion.
Wiring is per 568B (and as mentioned in original post, after the cable didn't work re-terminating both ends per 568B - twice - I did a non-standard wiring using the brown and blue pairs in place of orange and green respectively)

I suspect something wrong with the cable itself, or maybe interference - I don't have test equipment to certify the cable.
The original post mentions nothing about using the 568 standard. You simply cannot match up the ends, you must follow the specific order.
Check the cable to make the cable is copper and not Copper clad aluminum/CCA

Reaction score
As I understand it, you have confirmed the following:

1. Camera works on a separate, short cable.
2. Multiple, good cams do not work on the re-terminated cable.
3. Camera does not work thought the re-terminated cable on a known good POE switch.

So you have ruled out the cams and the POE switch. The only thing left is the cable. If you are 100% sure the terminations are correct, then the only thing that is left is the cable itself.

You could try to measure the resistance of each pair using an ohm meter and a jumper from a jack. Otherwise I would say that the cable has had a problem. Is it buried or exposed to the elements?

It sounds to me that your only course left is to replace the cable.

Or - spool off 150 feet of new cable, terminate both ends, and use that to see if the cam will work through the POE switch.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What switch are you using? Maybe over time the switch just can’t power/drive the cable length?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
PoE test - good.
Brand new and tested camera: connect, and it powers
If you cable ends are good, and there is nothing new happen to the wire (other than refreshing the ends) chances are the POE port you are using is bad on the switch. Because the switch disables data for POE check , then initiates coms after POE is ok to turn on.

Reaction score
If OP plugged the IP camera directly into the switch port and it powered up and can see the login GUI page on the browser.... it's 100% a cabling issue if the same port used for testing is used for the camera cable.
PS: could it be a faulty patch cord?

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A PoE switch will pass data when a non-PD (powered device) is connected.
It doesn't need PoE to be active before data is allowed to flow.
correct, but when you plug a poe device in, it checks to see if the blue pair are shorted and brown pair, Then it checks the wire communications. This is all embedded in the POE switch IC. If the IC is failing inside the switch, it does not complete its POE negotiation. This is why the port still works with a data connection, but not a POE. If there are other ports that are working fine on the switch, swap it over and see.